1,855 results
All reviewscoconut marketplaceocean frontsand barfree dvd rentalsparking lotoceanfront roomsmall kitchenettetrees loungeoverflow parkingfridge and microwavethird floorgeneral storepartial ocean viewevery morningcoffee makerhot tubno elevator
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We visited over Easter before heading back to Oahu for a week and I wanted to stay here instead. Mainly because I fell in love with Kauai, but also because when I do come back, I am coming back here.

The best part is the location. There is Foodland and Safeway are walking distance as well as other shops and restaurants and being on the East side sure has some advantages. From what I noticed with the weather patterns, it tends to rain more in the North and is quite dry in the South so it is easy to get anywhere based on what you want to do for the day. Also, you can rent bikes right beside the lobby and the pathway is 5 miles long up the coast. Super nice ride.

As for the hotel itself, I read some bad reviews before coming and could not understand why. For anyone who complains, they should really try a 4* in Cuba. The rooms were clean, beautiful and had lots of space. We could have lived there for a month! There was lots of empty storage space. We really liked having all the plates, microwave, sink and fridge. It helped us to budget. In fact, we only ate out twice in the three full days we were there. They made it super easy by having BBQ's. The lanai was our favourite place to eat and I just loved our view.

While no you may not be able to swim in the ocean, it sure is nice having it right there so you can listen to the waves while in your room, pool or jacuzzi. The only thing I wish is that the jacuzzi was bigger as it got full at times.

The service was great. We never had a problem getting clean towels or parking and the free in room internet was nice. TIP: when you sign into it it looks like it will charge you, but it doesn't. Just click the button that asks you to pay. I only know this because I overheard another guest asking the front desk. We tried it and it worked great. There were no charges at the end.

This place is a sanctuary. It is so relaxing to even simply walk around the grounds. I would like to come back and stay awhile. There is so much more that we would like to do and see that we just didn't get a chance to. Some people may consider staying somewhere else that's more fancy, but if it was any nicer than this I would just feel out of place.

Message me if you have any questions that you would like me to answer for you.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SunseekerinCalgary
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed at the Aston Islander on the Beach in Kauai. It was an excellent experience. We have an Ocean View and it is so worth paying the extra money for the view!!! It is great! We were right by the pool and at first I was concerned it would be too noisy but it is not! The pool closes at 9 and the management told us that if it was too noisy we should call them. We never had an issue! We left our windows open to listen to the ocean waves and we did not hear noise at all. With the windows closes, you would not hear anything at all either!
The location is excellent, a few blocks from two grocery stores and you save a lot of money. We made breakfast and packed a lunch almost every day. We went out for dinner. The rooms have refrigerator, sink, microwave, plates, cups, silverware, every thing you need. We had cereals, milk, fruits, break, sandwich meats, cocktail mixes etc!
People at the hotel are very friendly!!! I would really recommend this hotel. It is not the super fancy place but it is pretty and very nice and comfortable. I am not the kind of traveler who spends too much on fancy hotels; I like the comfort, cleanliness, convenience, location, and friendliness. Landscaping is very nice too!
We took a kayak trip, drove south and north, and west. The island is the perfect size.
We were there for the Tsunami warning and the hotel managed evacuation very professionally. I will definitely come back to this hotel.
Parking is not an issue, it can get busy at night because there are restaurants and a street mall next door but we always found parking and when full one of the guys at the hotel helped us find a place. We had to walk a little bit but we are on vacation, walking is ok.
Great Place!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spk0531
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Like the idea of low rise all thru the island. Not a bad place to stay other than chickens over the island - hearing them non stop. Staff friendly , helpful, pool bar good staff, bbq's by the pool, which was nice since we only had micro and fridge. Location not so great as it is far to go anywhere, need a car, the coconut market place has lots of empty stores , but good take out fast food.
The resort next door had a very nice restaurant, which we ate on our last night stay, awesome service and food.
Weather end of march beg of april, not so good, cool rainy days, high winds, were told by hotel staff not to go in water as the undertows very dangerous.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This is a great place to stay in Kauai due to location and price. We stayed 8 nights with a fanastic oceanview/pool area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They helped us get out luggage to the 2nd floor(no elevators only 3 floors which was great). It was great to have a smal refrig, micowave, coffemaker and dishes/utensils to have breakfast and lunch on our lanai. The grounds were spectular. The beach is so close you can hear it all the time. We enjoyed listening to the ocean every night. We had no problems with parking. It is a great location to go to the north/south/west coast. The room was very nice with very comfortable bed. We had a wonderful Kauai vacation to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary early. Great snorkel beach for us was Anini Beach for fish and green sea turtles. We saw Hawaiian monk seal X 3, green sea turtle on the beach and alot of fish snorkeling on Poipu Beach.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I started our Hawaii vacation by spending three nights in the Waikiki area of Oahu. After three really busy days in Waikiki we were really looking forward to Kauai.
The Aston Islander on the Beach was a fantastic choice for some R&R and exceeded our expectations. I really didn't know what to expect when we arrived at this hotel. It's hard to choose a hotel based on a few photos posted on the Internet and reading some mixed reviews.
We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into this hotel. The lobby, although fairly small, is completely open-air, well decorated and feels clean. The lady who helped us check-in was very friendly. Our room was located on the second floor of the main building and was considered a partial ocean view room. But from our balcony we had a complete view of the ocean, which was a nice surprise.
The room was nicely decorated and very clean, which is always my top concern when travelling. The bed was also really nice and very comfortable. The grounds of the hotel are really well kept along with the pool and beach area.
The beach at this hotel was definitely a highlight. It's not a wide beach, but it is quite long and beautiful. Whenever we went to the beach there was only a few other people there. It was peaceful and quiet, which was a welcome change from Waikiki. Despite some posted caution signs regarding swimming conditions, we were still able to swim near the shore.
After some busy days of driving around the island, driving up Waimea Canyon etc, we often went back to the hotel for dinner and found something we liked at the Coconut Marketplace, located right behind the hotel. We really liked Aloha Kauai Pizza and Harley's Tropical barbecue, both in the marketplace.
The only regret we have about the Aston Islander and Kauai in general is that we didn't stay longer. We would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple