“Relaxing, unpretentious & friendly”

Aston Islander on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Despite the ongoing renovations which caused a fair amount of noise during the day, we loved our third visit here, especially as the beach, pool and barbeque areas were never crowded or noisy and very relaxed.The hotel is only 3 levels (no elevator unfortunately) which makes it far less like a tourist hotel. Like others, we learned to specify an Ocean FRONT & not Ocean VIEW room, although this was rectified quickly to a super room on the corner where we could listen to the waves. The room was clean and well equipped for a longer stay, although we ate meals at local cafes (car not required). Coconut Marketplace was a little sad (many shops closed) but I hear changes are coming. Parking is easy and free as if wifi.

Room Tip: Ocean front not view
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank kirstine2013
There are newer reviews for Aston Islander on the Beach

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I should clarify up front that my reservation isn't until September 2014; however I am so frustrated with my experience so far that I needed to vent. I am trying to celebrate my 5 year wedding anniversary with my wife. We booked our trip for September 18 -25 2014. When booking the trip through a separate online vendor, I selected the garden view room option. This option indicated there was a choice between 2 double beds and a king size bed. That is pretty standard language and made me think we could choose when we arrived (again, pretty standard). When we got our final confirmation, it said we are getting a room with 2 double beds. When I called the front desk, I spoke with a representative that proceeded to explain to me that a king bed would be an upgrade and would require us to pay an additional 50 dollars per night. I felt completely duped and tried to explain this to the customer service rep. Even after explaining the nature of our visit, the CSR was unsympathetic and downright rude at times. I'm still holding out hope that our stay will still be enjoyable but as if right now, we are off to a HORRIBLE start

• Stayed: July 2014
18  Thank Skinnerdan
Kaniela N, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Aloha..

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your reservation with an upcoming stay at the Aston Islander on the Beach. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while confirming your room type. Rest assured that we will accommodate your requirements to ensure your experience here at the Resort is an exceptional one. I have directed my staff to accommodate accordingly. Please contact me directly if you have any additional concerns regarding your upcoming stay. I look forward to hosting your stay on the beautiful Garden Isle of Kauai.

Mahalo,

Kaniela Neves
808-822-7417

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I booked (and paid extra for) an Ocean Front room (not Ocean View). My room was RM363 and although the balcony does look parallel to the beach, it DOES NOT face the ocean. That room, in my opinion, is Ocean View. Although I have heard that this resort classifies an ocean view room quite loosely as well, meaning you can technically SEE the ocean, but it could be almost entirely obstructed. Anyhow, the staff was nice and the room was clean and the AC worked very well. There was construction, but they posted that on their website before we even booked, so I knew what I was getting into. I may not stay here the next time I visit, but it was a very good value. Just an FYI- the rooms are actually OWNED. This property is, more or less, a property manager and they rent out rooms for the owners.

Room Tip: If you book Ocean Front, maybe call them and specify you want one of the buildings that FACES the oc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Randi C
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our second time at Aston Islander on the Beach.
We had made reservations to stay in Poipu for a change, but, upon arrival there, we found our condo to be unsuitable and quickly scrambled to make reservations elsewhere for our five night stay.
Because we'd stayed at Islander on the Beach previously, we tried there first and were greeted (on the telephone) by the most gracious hostess, who went out of her way to arrange for our needs. We booked a lovely ocean front second floor room. We were even given the AAA discount, even with this late booking.
Rooms have a Queen size bed (we prefer a King) and are on the small side, but are lovely and clean. Warning: there are no elevators, so be sure to specify if you have special needs.
The only drawback this trip was the roofing project going on, so daytime noise from the construction was considerable. It didn't bother us much, because they close off the building they are working on and we weren't in our room that much during the daytime, anyway. And they warn you about the construction on their website, so we were aware before we booked.
The Coconut Marketplace is across the street with many shops and a couple eating places.
We would definitely happily return the next time we're on Kauai.

Room Tip: An ocean front room is definitely worth it if you can afford the upgrade. Beware, there are no eleva...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed 2 weeks on this property and we enjoyed every moment here. We want to thank to Brad (the owner) for all useful information he provided during the rental process and for the very welcoming unit where we found anything we needed for a pleasant stay.
The grounds are very well maintained and happily for us, the resort has it's own beach. Near the pool, there are 3 or 4 BBQ which we used often during our stay.
The lanai was a great place to enjoy our meals every day. Even the main building was in repairs (roof changing), this was not a problem for us since the lanai was facing the other side to the other resort.
This is a great location, very close to Kapaa, a place where for sure we'll return in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marius R
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here July 5th through July 14th. We had a bottom floor room next to the stairs but it was so quiet you never heard people going up or down the stairs or in the room above you. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful during our stay. They answered all our questions and when we needed maintanice to fix little issues they had it done that day. This hotel is right in the ocean so you can go out to the beach and relax. They have a nice pool too even though we never used it as we were gone all day sight seeing. There is construction going on but they only did it between 9-4 and only during the week. We never heard them unless we were outside. Across from the hotel is the Coconut Market place. They have some shops there, plus a couple of places to eat. Over all it is a very nice place
to stay.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view room you will pay more for it. Our room faced the garden area but was stil...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KCJ44
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Overall I have no major issues with this hotel. They were doing construction but it didn't bother our stay in any way. The rooms were very clean and quite nice. The only issue I had is if you use priceline and pay for a trip you would think it covers everything once paid for,nope. At the end of our stay there was a hotel amenities fee of 52 $ for a four day stay. This was a bit of a surprise. Yet aside from that even though we didn't have an ocean front room or even an oceanview room we still had a great view from our patio. Your not really spending a lot of time in your room anyway if you visit hawaii. The pool needs a little work ,but the hotel is very centrally located. You can drive a little way north and south and are able to get there in a reasonable time. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for an ocean view room, just go outside
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Douglas C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!