We stayed on the third floor and paid for an " ocean front" room. The room upgrade was my wife's idea and she says it was worth it because she could hear the ocean, but we had to look at an angle from our balcony to see much of it. No elevators and we had big bags because of airline restrictions. No bell captain that I could see, so we lugged the bags ourselves. We did arrive late. Staff was helpful and professional, but we didn't need to interact much except for parking permits.
The construction appears to be 1970's era with concrete block walls and plywood & batten siding at the gables, rough sawn trim and stairwells. Well maintained and clean. Kitchenette had a sink, mini-fridge and microwave, cupboards were well stocked with crockery, implements, church key, flatware, and glassware.
In addition to taxes, there is an "amenity fee," for things like w-ifi and parking. It was disclosed upfront, but not charged in our prepaid reservation, so we had to settle up when we left. The parking lot filled up fast, so we ended up parking in the shopping center next door with a permit that expired at 10:00 am. Lots of walking to move the car.
No food service. In room coffee maker comes with enough good Kona coffee to make 4 cups a day. Powdered creamer, so the first stop was the Safeway just up the road for some half & half. The fresh fish place in the strip mall adjacent to the parking lot is friendly and casual. Despite the seafood emphasis, I had a beef filet from New Zealand which was very well prepared and tasty. The bar in the same strip mall may be the reason for the parking shortage - we didn't go there.
All in all, a pleasant place to stay. It was a little pricey, but everything on Kauai is, and compared to the places up the road in Hanalei, it was a real bargain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a stunning oceanfront location, Aston Islander on the Beach offers true island hospitality with warm service and convenient amenities. Contemporary tropical-inspired guest rooms include air-conditioning and private balconies. Sitting on six acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, Aston Islander on the Beach features a sparkling pool with a poolside bar, lush gardens for strolling, and a beautiful beachfront location - popular for viewing Hawaiian monk seals. Enjoy the convenience of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace's 60 boutiques and restaurants. It's impressive oceanfront and plantation-style charm make this relaxing resort the most enticing retreat on Kauai. Please note: The hotel collects a daily amenity fee which includes DVD movies and Playstation 3 game rentals, Airport Shuttle service (must call hotel direct at least 24-72 hours in advance to make arrangements), a refreshing welcome drink per guest, daily newspaper, daily coffee and tea, in-room safe, WiFi internet, and local & toll-free calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aston Islander on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Islander On The Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Resortquest Islander Beach Kauai
- Islander Beach Kauai
- Aston Islander On The Beach Kauai/Kapaa