“Nice property but could be better. Roosters are annoying.”

Aston Islander on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Australia
“Nice property but could be better. Roosters are annoying.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

In all fairness this property is quite pleasant, nice pool, nice gardens,small kitchenette with fridge and microwave, laundry service and close to the beach. Its in a good location if you have a car.

Our issue was that room 271 did not have a router for wifi but obviously we were still going to get charged the resort fee. Staff knew there was no router in the room but did not tell us. We were told to try connecting to another rooms wifi and assure us it would work. It didn't. Staff weren't too helpful with this issue and also they never offered us use of the computers in the lobby to compensate. When I asked if we could use the computers instead it was frowned upon. I didn't find the staff friendly or helpful.

Another issue is that we didn't have much sleep here for our entire stay of 6 nights. The roosters here are the local alarm clocks and love waking people up at around 4am. For a light sleeper like me that made my stay unpleasant. It was a long 6 nights. I was certain the rooster was right outside our door. When I checked one very early morning sure enough I was right, he was very close to us. The chickens/roosters are very annoying and ear plugs don't help. I should of listened to our Lonely planet guide. It stated that to "when booking accommodation check with hotel if they have roosters nearby/hearing range". But then again would hotels be honest about this issue with the roosters? I doubt it. I know Kauai is overtaken by roosters/chickens but I am sure there are properties elsewhere that are quieter. I would love to return one day but I will definitely do more research next time.

There is a problem with parking but I guess that its just not for hotel guests as there are many restaurants and touristy gift shops close by. Also I found it very strange that the pool bar did not have a price list. Obviously just charge you what they like???

Overall unfortunately I would not choose this property again. Like I said at the very beginning its a nice enough property but lack of sleep really makes it unpleasant. Also paying resort fee for services that do not work aren't acceptable. This was discussed with the manager who was the only staff member I found that was pleasant and at least friendlier than other staff. When we checked out and asked if we enjoyed our stay, well my reaction wasn't overally great but it also showed me they couldn't really care less anyway.

P.S. Kauai is a incredibly beautiful island.

Room Tip: smIf you are a light sleeper do not stay here. You will be woken by annoying rooster every morning a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Butterflygirl54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary, and we were very happy with the resort, particularly relative to the competitive price. The only drawback was that the furniture was a little bit dated, but that was a superficial drawback compared to the oceanfront location, pool, spa, poolside bar (serving $6 beers!), and central location right by the Coconut Marketplace. Don't miss out on the Hukilau Lanai restaurant right next door to the resort (easily walkable) and Trees lounge (also right next door). These are two of the best establishments on the island, and we strolled between them and our hotel room. We saw plenty of families, but even with others' kids around, we still felt very cozy and romantic while there. When we come back to Kaua'i, (if we aren't millionaires yet and can afford the St. Regis), we will definitely come back to the Islander on the Beach.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for one of the ocean front rooms. The sunrise comes up each morning directly off your...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank StephanieJean5326
Torremolinos, Andalucia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

So Aloha! The staff are so accommodating and helpful. They make you feel truly welcome..The rooms are spacious & bright with a private lanai - most with an ocean view. There is no sound from neighboring rooms. Buildings are situated so that the beach is a very short walk away.
The grounds are large lawns with quiet, cement pathways, lots of trees and flower gardens.
The sliding doors open opposite to the one-way drapes which can be awkward.
It would be nice if pools in Hawaii were heated just a little.
Laundry facilities are clean and maintained, but 4 washers are not quite enough.
This is by far one of the best accommodations on the beach in Kapaa.

Room Tip: We had corner rooms each time with an extra window but all the rooms are bright as the end wall is a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Donna C
San Jose, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Our experience at this hotel was not very good on the beginning but at the end it was not terrible.

This is a condo type of hotel and those condos are privately own, so maybe other rooms will not have the same type of problems we faced during our stay.

We got condo with a queen bed, a Microwave, small fridge and small sink. There is no kitchen, just a couple of plates and utensils.

When we got there the room was stinking mold really bad, the pillows were also stinking mold, i couldn't connect to the WI-FI and the AC was not working.

The staff of the hotel was really great and they fixed the AC and gave us some fresh pillows right away. They offer us another room but we had all our luggage in there already so we decide to stay. After turning the AC for couple of hours the mold smell got milder, and I decided to not use the WI-FI(they offer to fix that too).

The hotel is very well located, lots of shops and restaurants close by (walking distance) and it is kind of in the middle of the Island because it would take us an hour to go either to the North or south shore. There is a playstation in the room and once I pay the $15/day resort fee you have access to movies and games.

The beach in front of the hotel is very beautiful but it is not recommended for swimming or snorkel.

It has a good pool, with a BBQ grill and a large jacuzzi.

Overall I would rate it as 2.5 due to our experience and would not stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank claudioasfilho
Kaniela N, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Aloha..

Thank you for sharing your experience while staying at the Aston Islander on the Beach. I apologize for any inconvenience that you may of had during your stay with us. I have discussed the "mold" issue with my Housekeeping Manager and we are working on several ways to enhance the airflow and smell of our rooms. Although this issue is not a common experience, I feel it's important to ensure that all guests are recipients of a great experience while staying at the Aston Islander on the Beach. As we work toward fixing this issue, I hope we may be able to accommodate you and your Ohana on your next visit to the beautiful Island of Kauai.

Mahalo,

Kaniela Neves
Aston Islander on the Beach
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Booked this through Expedia and it did not disappoint. Room described as partial ocean view was accurate, clean and tidy. Not sure why others have complained about car parking, we always found plenty available at all times of day. Great to be able to walk out of your room and be on a sandy beach just meters away.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank T0nyL
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I like this type of condo resort better than the bigger pricy resorts. It had everything we needed and it is right on the beach. You don't have to take a "train" to get to the beach. It has a great pool and the pool tiki bar was a great place to meet other people and chat. On Saturdays they have happy hour with a 2 man band and $1 beers! Saw whales jumping out front and there are lots of turtles around too. Cant beat the view.

Room Tip: The rooms are not large so my sister and I chose 2 rooms that had a connecting door inside.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tracy F
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We weren't looking for anything fancy. And we were happy here. We didn't spend much time on property, we were out enjoying all Kauai had to offer. Beautiful grounds, comfortable room. Nice location. Would recommend for the price.
The only negative is the lack of parking one morning left us waiting for 20min for someone to leave. But no real big deal.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zink3535
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!