In all fairness this property is quite pleasant, nice pool, nice gardens,small kitchenette with fridge and microwave, laundry service and close to the beach. Its in a good location if you have a car.
Our issue was that room 271 did not have a router for wifi but obviously we were still going to get charged the resort fee. Staff knew there was no router in the room but did not tell us. We were told to try connecting to another rooms wifi and assure us it would work. It didn't. Staff weren't too helpful with this issue and also they never offered us use of the computers in the lobby to compensate. When I asked if we could use the computers instead it was frowned upon. I didn't find the staff friendly or helpful.
Another issue is that we didn't have much sleep here for our entire stay of 6 nights. The roosters here are the local alarm clocks and love waking people up at around 4am. For a light sleeper like me that made my stay unpleasant. It was a long 6 nights. I was certain the rooster was right outside our door. When I checked one very early morning sure enough I was right, he was very close to us. The chickens/roosters are very annoying and ear plugs don't help. I should of listened to our Lonely planet guide. It stated that to "when booking accommodation check with hotel if they have roosters nearby/hearing range". But then again would hotels be honest about this issue with the roosters? I doubt it. I know Kauai is overtaken by roosters/chickens but I am sure there are properties elsewhere that are quieter. I would love to return one day but I will definitely do more research next time.
There is a problem with parking but I guess that its just not for hotel guests as there are many restaurants and touristy gift shops close by. Also I found it very strange that the pool bar did not have a price list. Obviously just charge you what they like???
Overall unfortunately I would not choose this property again. Like I said at the very beginning its a nice enough property but lack of sleep really makes it unpleasant. Also paying resort fee for services that do not work aren't acceptable. This was discussed with the manager who was the only staff member I found that was pleasant and at least friendlier than other staff. When we checked out and asked if we enjoyed our stay, well my reaction wasn't overally great but it also showed me they couldn't really care less anyway.
P.S. Kauai is a incredibly beautiful island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a stunning oceanfront location, Aston Islander on the Beach offers true island hospitality with warm service and convenient amenities. Contemporary tropical-inspired guest rooms include air-conditioning and private balconies. Sitting on six acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, Aston Islander on the Beach features a sparkling pool with a poolside bar, lush gardens for strolling, and a beautiful beachfront location - popular for viewing Hawaiian monk seals. Enjoy the convenience of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace's 60 boutiques and restaurants. It's impressive oceanfront and plantation-style charm make this relaxing resort the most enticing retreat on Kauai. Please note: The hotel collects a daily amenity fee which includes DVD movies and Playstation 3 game rentals, Airport Shuttle service (must call hotel direct at least 24-72 hours in advance to make arrangements), a refreshing welcome drink per guest, daily newspaper, daily coffee and tea, in-room safe, WiFi internet, and local & toll-free calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aston Islander on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Islander On The Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Resortquest Islander Beach Kauai
- Islander Beach Kauai
- Aston Islander On The Beach Kauai/Kapaa