“October 2003 My New Home”

Aston Islander on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed April 21, 2004

I had my doubts about this hotel from all the negative reviews..But, from the timeI arrived at the hotel I just fell in love with it...
The people at the desk were so friendly and bent over backwards to make my stay there comfortable... I found my room clean and neat and by the time I got settled, It felt like being at home.. The cleaning crew, both in the hotel and on the grounds were most friendly...The grounds are well kept and just beautiful, the beach is not crowded and quiet...This is definetly my Paradise!!! Mahalo

1  Thank 2tseppin
There are newer reviews for Aston Islander on the Beach

Reviewed April 9, 2004

We had a great time at the IOB! For us it was our home base for exploring the beautiful Island of Kauai. The central location was perfect. We snorkeled at Lydgate Park nearly every day - ate breakfast at the Coconut Marketplace (several restaurants) and a 5 minute drive to snorkel. Our room was ocean view and in the lobby building. I do think IOB needs to remove "recently renovated" from their advertising, our room was clean, convenient and had everything we needed but definitely could use an update - especially the bathroom.
We got what we expected and more for the price we paid, would go back
in a heartbeat. The Staff was very accommodating and the tour desk was
great. Hope to stay there again very soon

2  Thank lvsnrkl
Harvey, Louisiana
Reviewed April 9, 2004

Stayed at Islander on the Beach for eight nights March 30 thru April 7 and thoroughly enjoyed our ocean front room, as close to the ocean as you can get for the price. You can look at the ocean and hear the roar of the surf from your bed. The maid service was great, the staff friendly and helpful, and the room comfortable with frig, microwave, coffeemaker. The grounds are quite lovely. The hotel room is standard, but quite clean. If you want to stay at a fancy property, and pay around $400 to possibly face the parking lot then go for it. I have read reviews regarding insects in the rooms. We had no insects. I think this may be a problem if food is left lying around.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2004

After researching hotels all over the island, we finally decided to book our stay here. I read books, online reviews and even called a few places. I have to say that both my wife and I were pleased with our final choice. The pictures and reviews provided fairly accurate expectations. We were fortunate enough to upgrade to a beachfront room for only $8 extra per night. I highly recommend doing the same. Our room was within 20-30 yards from the beach and right next to the pool area. The room was nice and well furnished with all the essentials, a large, comfortable bed, mini-kitchen (sink, coffee maker and mini-fridge) but we did run into some problems with some harmless, but annoying tiny ants that attacked any food or sugar left out. Avoid the provided coffee since they charge you for replacing it. Instead, save some money and just buy a pound from the local food store. My wife wished the bathroom were a bit bigger and had a tub too. The grounds are well kept with lots of flowering plants and trees. The pool and hot tub were never too crowded and seemed well kept also. The beach was nice to walk along or sit at, but pretty dangerous to swim at. It was nice being within walking distance to the Coconut Grove shops & restaurants. There is also a restaurant next door along the beach that has a great view of the ocean, but awful food. I would only recommend going there for drinks. The parking lot tended to get crowded at times, but we always managed to find a spot. The free breakfast that was included was at a nearby restaurant that required a short drive. The breakfasts were simple and basic yet tasty. Not bad for free breakfast.

Overall this hotel is a great value in my opinion. I would recommend it for active couples on a budget who plan on exploring the island. There are probably better choices for families or people who are looking for resort style entertainment or luxury.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2004

After reading the mixed reviews about The Islander we didn't know what to expect. For the most part, we were pleasantly surprised. The setting by the sea is lovely, the grounds are nicely landscaped and well-maintained, the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful, and the location is ideal for exploring the whole island. The downside: the bathroom - functional but needing a makeover; thin, shabby towels; the beach directly in front not good for swimming and littered with wood. However, we loved being able to stroll out of our room and take long walks by the ocean. We think that The Islander is a good value and would stay there again.

1  Thank NothshoaGirl
Leominster,MA
Reviewed March 24, 2004

Room was clean. Need for single toilet-plunging was attended to immediately. Nice to awaken and walk oceanfront grounds or drive five minutes to swim or snorkel. Desk clerks ranged from mildly indifferent to very accomodating. Limitted on-site parking neccessitated a few minutes extra walk to car. Conveniently located to northern and southern sights.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ramona, California
Reviewed March 5, 2004

We just came back. The place is significantly more worn out than the pictures they have on the internet would indicate. The big mirror in the bedroom had lots of spots in it where the silvering had deteriorated, the screen door was slit so that locking it was meaningless, and the sliding glass door's lock had been broken and was 'rigged up' with a hasty fix so that it would lock. Also, the cabinet door where the TV set is was hanging on one hinge when we got there and we had to fix it. That sounds worse than it actually is. Beautiful location, nice staff, and not at all expensive by Kauai standards. The cleaning staff brought tons of towels, sheets, newspapers, and anything else you wanted. Just a bit run down. On the other hand, if they fixed up the place to tip-top condition, they could probably get $200 a night instead of the $111 a night we paid for an oceanfront room (Rm 146 if anyone wants to compare notes).

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!