“Excellent experience”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Corpus Christi, TX
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I've stayed here previously and have never been disappointed. I've always found Islander on The Beach a clean, comfortable and quiet place that I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Burbank, California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I spent my honeymoon here in June 1986. I decided to go back, though my wife died in March 2009, this June would have been our 25th Anniversary. So I went back by myself to honor her and our years together. The great view of the ocean was the same. The hotel is an older one than many others on the Island, but has been remodeled with up to date amenities; microwave, small refrig, coffeemaker, iron and ironing board, hairdryer in bathroom and great A/C unit. Staff was friendly and helpful, place was very, very clean and very worth the price. I recommend it to anyone on a tight budget.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GeneRyals
walla walla
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Room was as described. My husband and I stayed for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Nothing fancy, but affordable. We stayed 12 nights, but were moved on the last two nights due to construction work being done on the whole unit. They refunded our money for 2 nights which was nice, but they wanted to move us to a room without any view. We had beachfront! We went through the Aston hotel and got another room overlooking the pool, at least. But, the cost was more, of course.
I recommend the hotel/condo's look into putting a bathroom at the pool. There was a baseball tournament staying there with families who had many children. They overtook the pool which isn't big to begin with, splashing and yelling with only one adult present and that person looked like they were maybe 18. Not once did I see anyone get out to go use the restroom in there room or in the lobby, which is a considerable distance from the pool.
Also, the hotel staff were very rude when they found out we were connected to a private condo rental. Be aware that everything in your condo is ALL you get and can not use the hotel's amenities.

Room Tip: Oceanfront was great, as was the pool view with the ocean in the distance.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaydraWallaWalla
itsumi, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Aloha,

Please accept our apologies as rudeness at the front desk is not acceptable whether you are renting through a private owner or through the Aston rental program.

We received a few complaints regarding the Little League players and did contact their coaches and advisors on their conduct at the pool.

The front desk staff are Aston Islander on the Beach work for the owners/guests in the Aston rental program units. Renting through a private owner does not give every guest the same services at the front desk such as pool towels, help with phone/internet, problems if any during your stay.

We hope to see you back on Kauai and should you have any requests, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sandi

Tel: 808 823-7600
sandi.kato-klutke@astonhotels.com
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This was the ideal location for our first time on the island, so we could access the north shore and the south shore for our explorations. Aston Islander on the Beach is a comfortable, well maintained resort. We enjoyed walking on the beach in the mornings, the pool, the Sand Bar with its Tiki torches, the beautiful landscaping and the views. I like that the rooms have coffee makers and refrigerators, and there are gas BBQ grills by the pool for use by the guests. Everyone we met was friendly and happy to be there. We enjoyed the live music at Trees Lounge, and breakfast at Waipouli Home Cooking restaurant by Foodland (just a few blocks away from the hotel). All in all, a wonderfully relaxing retreat !

1 Thank travelin2gether5
California
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We chose this hotel based on reviews we read here, and it was the perfect choice for us! First of all, the hotel is located in a small community which is centrally located for all activities on Kauai (you need a rental car, of course). It's about 10 minutes or so from the airport, and every kind of commercial resource you could need is available within a few miles, and many are adjacent to the property at the Coconut Marketplace (shops, restaurant, lounge, activity & sightseeing businesses). Safeway grocery is up the road about two minutes, along with Long's, Starbuck's, Subway and Panda Express. Just before that center is another center with a supermarket.

All this makes it sound like you're in a highly commercialized area, but the orientation of the hotel buildings, and their location behind the Coconut Marketplace and therefore OFF the highway, right on the beach, makes it seem like you are far from any tourist or commercial environments. We enjoyed a very peaceful stay here, sleeping without any noise or disturbance, eating frequently on our 2nd floor lanai with it's partial ocean view, and keeping our patio door open in the evenings until we went to bed. The ambiance here is beautiful and serene. We often spent time sitting at the beach behind the hotel and looking out across the sea towards the lights in Lihue, or straight up at the stars!

Our room was as described by others here - immaculate and well appointed. The only thing I did not know was that the micro and fridge are on a counter with a little sink, with a sponge and dish liquid! That was a big plus! There are cabinets all around, and dishes, silverware and a cutting board are included! (I do not know if all the units have these, however.) The maintenance/housekeeping of our room was perfect, the service at the lobby was friendly and efficient. Sue was particularly friendly and helpful! One nice feature is that you can take the pool towels with you on your excursions to the beach or other activities, then exchange them anytime between 9am and 9pm for freshly laundered ones.

The good thing about coming here is that you can shop for your best deal. We originally planned to book right from the hotel website, but ultimately went with our AAA travel agent, who booked it with Pleasant Holidays. We met another family while here who booked through Expedia and were happy with their deal too.

One important fact is that we discovered this is a condohotel- meaning that ALL the units are owned privately, but not all of them are managed by Aston as hotel rooms. Some of the units are managed by their owners and rented through vacation rental sites, and some are managed by other management firms (not Aston). These units do NOT have all the amenities that the Aston rooms have, such as the pool towels, daily maid service, maintenance handled through the lobby. They do have use of the pool area and laundry though. Just be sure you know how you are booking, so if it's not with Aston, you will know WHO to contact should the need arise.

We're delighted with Aston Islander on the Beach, and we hope many more Trip Advisor readers will be able to enjoy this wonderful place. Aloha

1 Thank Mimiii
Lawrence, KS
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here July 2 (very late night) through July 8 (mid-day) 2011.
I sent an e-mail to the Manager-Sandy, in advance of our stay. It was to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary after a year of dealing with a cancer diagnosis for my husband. Sandy was incredibly prompt in responding to me, she had good advice and was very helpful. She arranged a welcome present/gift of champagne, etc. for our 2nd full day. My husband was very surprised (albeit he thought it was "gratis"--which it was not). We were upgraded from a partial ocean-view to an ocean view room on check-in. I have to say, it was very kind of them to do this; however, it was room 243 which did have a VERY small slice view of the ocean to the right of the lanai, but you had to stand very near the a.c. unit and crane your head to see it. Otherwise, there was an immature, tall, palm tree obstructing most of the view from right to left-ocean and otherwise.
We really, really, enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean, kitchen area was well-equipped with everything you need for a quick meal--microwave/mini-fridge (bigger than a "dorm" fridge) silverware, plates, soap, towels, cutting board, etc.
The housekeepers supplied our room well with what was needed. I did leave a note the 3rd day for coffee as none was left on the 2nd day. The bar had a nice happy hour and Karen the bartender was interesting and very helpful. She even supplied celebratory 4th of July munchies-gratis--out of her own pocket, I might add! As others have mentioned, the beach area is very pretty, but not meant for swimming, only walking.
I also liked that I was able to wash two loads of clothes prior to our departure and we went home with 2 suitcases full of CLEAN clothes.
Kudos and Mahalo to Sandi Kato-Klutke and her staff. I wish I had written down the names of the maids and other staff who assisted us--as they deserve a special mahalo.
If we return to Kauai, we will stay here again. And, even if not...we will recommend to all we know who might be going to Kauai. Wonderful hotel with nice amenities and great staff that I encountered. I did notice they were a little reserved--but seemed more so with rude customers and, of course, who wouldn't be in that situation. Be kind, considerate and polite and they will respond in kind to you! Mahalo to all we encountered--you were above exceptional! Sandi--a special Mahalo to you--and guess what? we never got to drink the bottle of champagne...we were too busy or too tired, or had been to the bar and felt it would have been too much after a long day! Yikes!!
Teresa Kopsa (and Hal) rm. 243 (7-2-2011 to 7-8-2011)

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, if available, and see if they make sure you have a
1 Thank tkopsa
Ojai, California
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great central location for a first time visit to the island. Staff was great, room was super clean. We stayed in a beachfront room and for the cost it was unbelievable! The beach kinda sucked for swimming when we were there, shore break and storm offshore make swimming difficult unless you are experienced.
Overall a great place to stay, staff and hotel really are five star.

2 Thank INeedVacationTime
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!