New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Bend, Oregon
“We loved this hotel right on the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed one night here between lodgings on Kauai. ( see my review of Aloha Beach Hotel) May 22, 2013
This is an older hotel that has been completely updated. We requested an ocean view room, a bit more expensive but worth it.
The rooms are small and have massive furniture, we had a king size bed, but we still liked it. There are three sinks, a microwave, and refrigerator. TV had good reception and the view is to die for. Its right on the walking/ bike path in Kappa. The is a small balcony where we sat and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. It was a perfect breakfast for us, yogurt, sweet rolls, fresh fruit and good coffee done with a Keurig machine. The small staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the sparkling clean pool with a waterfall. There are adirondack chairs on the large lawn area to sit in and enjoy the ocean and people going by on the path. We look forward to staying here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeckyinBend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pros: set in the very nice Kapa'a town, our room (front ocean) was very nice, quite big and with a nice view on the ocean, we didn't test the beach in front of the hotel but the lawn with comfortable chairs was nice
Done: everything that maid us feel more like in a rental than an actual hotel: the staff is unequally nice and helpful, the rooms are not done each day, a maid just brings you fresh towels and beauty products if needed, the breakfast included is actually coffee and some muffins, with no real place to eat

Bottom line: it's pretty nice, but not a great hotel service

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank matthieu_paname
Antwerp in Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed there in April for five nights. When they say ocean view they really mean ocean view . Step uot of your room and dive into the Pacific ..... The rooms are very cosy which give you a 'home away from home' feeling. Very friendly service and an extra perk are the bikes they rent out. Beatiful bike route allong the coast just in front of the hotel , you might even spot some whales like we did!!!!
A real gem across the street is 'The Hemingway café' for some wonderful breakfast or lunch.
Try the Chai latte!!!!
If we were to go back to Kauai, we would definitely go back to the Coral Reef Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tommy123Antwerp
Bluffton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This facility was highly recommended in The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook -- said it was a "solid value." It's more than a solid value, it's a gold mine! They were so friendly the entire time we were there (9 nights) and clearly show pride of ownership. Parking is free, rooms are well-appointed and restful, pool is beautiful and everything is well maintained. We had a second floor king suite facing the ocean (east) and the bed was glorious. I was worried that I would miss seeing island sunsets, but I truly believe now that island sunrises are much more beautiful. We spent a lot of time on the balcony just watching the surf, the chickens, people on the bike path, etc. One afternoon, when we were tired of sight seeing, we sat at the pool and watched the owner tending to the lawn, trees, etc.

We rented bikes twice (from the owners) and took them on the bike trail; Kauai had just installed new historical signs along the bike path and they were so interesting. I really enjoyed speaking with the girl who provides maid service - they're very conscious of sustainability and provide all sorts of wonderful local foods for breakfast.

Great restaurants within walking distance and, while there's a lot of traffic in this area of the island, it is manageable since everyone is so patient and kind. Great shopping, too!

I saw other resorts that I had read about in the guidebook and was glad that we were not at a major, corporately-owned resort. While they treat you like family at Coral Reef, they also really respect your privacy. I will definitely be back on my next trip to Kauai.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank unraul
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Hotel Coral Reef was an amazing experience. You can't beat the price and I love that I was giving back to the local economy by staying at a locally owned facility instead of a big chain. This is a great bang for your buck and I have already suggested it to several people.

Rooms:
Newly renovated, and as far as I can tell all were ocean front. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. One of our sinks wasn't operational, but we used it to store all of our beauty products.

Facility:
The hotel was great, located right off a walking/running path its the perfect place for a morning stroll. They also have adirondack chairs situated around the property if you want to relax and watch the waves roll in. The hotel is located a few hundred feet away from the beach, which was great. The exterior of the hotel was well maintained.

We couldn't have asked for more. The hotel had beach chairs, coolers and towels available to check out, and bikes for rent. The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast every morning and they mix up the menu so you're not eating the same thing every day. When we were there they had oatmeal, toast, fruit salad, cereal, and yogurt. There is a small restaurant located at the front of the property, it sells salads, fruit smoothies, and shave ice. We ate there several times during our stay. It is not associated with the hotel. There is no charge for parking, and there is plenty to go around. The hotel also has a pool, not that you need it but it is nice if you are traveling with kids. It was well maintained and if I think there may have even been a BBQ grill there.

Service:
The owners were on site every day and always there to answer questions about the best seafood restaurant, fruit stand and farmers markets. Everyone on the staff was friendly, outgoing and always ready to help. By the end of our stay we felt like we were family, we even hugged the owners when we left! We did have a small issue with the maid service, but it was more of a minor inconvenience. We didn't want/need the room cleaned every day but we did have to ask for towels a few times because they took the dirty ones and didn't leave any clean ones. But the staff was very helpful and quick to respond when we asked.

Overall I LOVED this hotel and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Denise N
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for only two days and the first night was just indulging. The Jacuzzi tub was just what I needed after traveling in the beautiful trails of Kauai. The queen size bed was plush and slept like a baby. The next morning we woke up to fresh island fruit and juice served at the front desk and took off with bikes provided by the hotel on an 8 mile bike trail that was breathtaking. Later enjoyed the private beach in front of this hotel and swam into an open sandy blue hole. Beautiful snorkeling over the coral reef. In the evening we bar-b-qued next to the pool with a gorgeous man made waterfall. I personally love this place for it's quality and convenience of getting around by walking or riding a bike.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chipawa_13
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arriving after dark and somewhat jet-lagged, I had some trouble finding this hotel. I called and was told how to find it and that it had red lights along the roof. And it did. Someone's dinner was on the desk when I was checking in. In the dark and being tired, I was concerned. It was an older hotel that had been renovated. I did find that the room was updated with detail and looked clean and it looked like the pictures. There was a mini fridge. However, I was travelling alone and felt a little unsafe. The door had a sliding bolt that showed whether the room was occupied on the outside, kind of like the rest room on an airplane. I opened the glass back door and it was dark; I couldn't see or hear the ocean. Although I had booked two nights I went to bed planning to find another room for the next night. I was sure someone had rigged Trip Advisor.
However, when I woke up it got much better. Going out the back door, I had a really beautiful unobstructed view of sunrise over the ocean. There was a path where people were running and walking. Chickens and roosters were clucking and crowing. It was pretty darn cool. It made me quite relieved and happy. This couple of hours earned it another star. I stayed the second night.
Breakfast is served in the office and there weren't a lot of tables to eat breakfast, so I grabbed some Keuring coffee, cheese and a yogurt and it was enough. The shower was clean and strong and tiled pretty.
Kapaa is a good, safe location, central for driving to either Waimea Canyon or Hanlei Bay. I did both. It is also less than 15 mins from LIH. I didn't spend a lot of time in historic Kapaa but there were some natural foods and organic places that looked interesting.
I made reservations using their web site. It doesn't give you a confirmation and you have to call to change it. I did change it over the phone a couple of times. Still didn't get an email but they did get it right. This could be improved.
I stayed the third night in a more expensive resort suite in Poipu. It was "ocean view", if you had binoculars. In several ways I preferred the less expensive ocean front room at Kapaa.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean front. Floor level looks directly on the ocean.