“Most comfortable and relaxing place I've been” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
California City, California
“Most comfortable and relaxing place I've been”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for only two days and the first night was just indulging. The Jacuzzi tub was just what I needed after traveling in the beautiful trails of Kauai. The queen size bed was plush and slept like a baby. The next morning we woke up to fresh island fruit and juice served at the front desk and took off with bikes provided by the hotel on an 8 mile bike trail that was breathtaking. Later enjoyed the private beach in front of this hotel and swam into an open sandy blue hole. Beautiful snorkeling over the coral reef. In the evening we bar-b-qued next to the pool with a gorgeous man made waterfall. I personally love this place for it's quality and convenience of getting around by walking or riding a bike.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chipawa_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arriving after dark and somewhat jet-lagged, I had some trouble finding this hotel. I called and was told how to find it and that it had red lights along the roof. And it did. Someone's dinner was on the desk when I was checking in. In the dark and being tired, I was concerned. It was an older hotel that had been renovated. I did find that the room was updated with detail and looked clean and it looked like the pictures. There was a mini fridge. However, I was travelling alone and felt a little unsafe. The door had a sliding bolt that showed whether the room was occupied on the outside, kind of like the rest room on an airplane. I opened the glass back door and it was dark; I couldn't see or hear the ocean. Although I had booked two nights I went to bed planning to find another room for the next night. I was sure someone had rigged Trip Advisor.
However, when I woke up it got much better. Going out the back door, I had a really beautiful unobstructed view of sunrise over the ocean. There was a path where people were running and walking. Chickens and roosters were clucking and crowing. It was pretty darn cool. It made me quite relieved and happy. This couple of hours earned it another star. I stayed the second night.
Breakfast is served in the office and there weren't a lot of tables to eat breakfast, so I grabbed some Keuring coffee, cheese and a yogurt and it was enough. The shower was clean and strong and tiled pretty.
Kapaa is a good, safe location, central for driving to either Waimea Canyon or Hanlei Bay. I did both. It is also less than 15 mins from LIH. I didn't spend a lot of time in historic Kapaa but there were some natural foods and organic places that looked interesting.
I made reservations using their web site. It doesn't give you a confirmation and you have to call to change it. I did change it over the phone a couple of times. Still didn't get an email but they did get it right. This could be improved.
I stayed the third night in a more expensive resort suite in Poipu. It was "ocean view", if you had binoculars. In several ways I preferred the less expensive ocean front room at Kapaa.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean front. Floor level looks directly on the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kay S
Beverly Hills, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice location , bad staff and experience , first breakfast they serve is a joke, $1 bakery stuff from your favorite gas station , 2nd they don't clean the rooms during ur stay , I watched room service lady for 5 days just take garbage out and out new towels , she didn't clean the bed , vacuum the floor (it's beach hotel and u get sand in room ) worst she's doesn't clean shower not bathroom , also the beach is rocky

On the positive side , hotel is in nice central area, not that busy , but I felt roped

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Eric E
Tumwater, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Coral Reef for 12 days and couldn't have been happier. First, it is in a great location centrally located on the island. We had an "ocean front" room and it was fabulous, The room was nicely decorated and had an unobstructed view of the ocean. Rooms were very clean. We really feel like we found a little gem. Prices were amazingly reasonable. Very friendly staff. The room looks exactly like the pictures on the web site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Quiet, Clean & Very Comfortable!!! Kauai's beauty is breathtaking! After returning from hiking the Pali Coast for four hours in the rain and mud I enthusiastically anticipated checking into my new hotel room for a jacuzzi bathtub treat! Oh what a treat it was! I felt like I was in heaven - my room was so clean, cozy and beautifully decorated! Adjustable lighting throughout, Tommy Bahamas soap and bath products, a plasma television, and then to top it off the bed was sooo comfortable! Absolutely heaven! My patio slider opened to the lawn in front of the beach too! The property also has a pool with a waterfall and a laundry area. Yes this is heaven!!! Staying on the east side of Kauai is a great for waking to the gorgeous sunrise each morning at 7 am. I've always thought of myself as a non-morning person, but the sunrise is so magnificent I looked forward to it and didn't want to miss it! Another nice thing is the location is great for navigating to the rest of the island including the west, south and north shores. Each morning they had a continental breakfast in the hotel lobby.The management was so friendly and helpful - they felt like family. I am very excited to return!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Erin M
Ocean Shores, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hotel is quaint and attractive. There is a paved trail in front of the hotel that goes to the next town and makes for a beautiful walk or bike ride. The staff was wonderful and it felt more like family than employees. Great food and shopping are both near by. It was so relaxing which is just what we needed. I wish the pool was warmer.. It was actually warmer to swim in the ocean...lol
Overall a great stay!

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view rooms.. The others dont have much of a "garden view"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank leaha1
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

First off I generally dont stay at 5 star or even 4 star hotels and was not expecting that level of quality when I booked this hotel but I had expectations of at least adequate cleanliness, food and hospitality. I gather that most of the reviews are of "ocean front" rooms. We stayed in what is ridiculously called a garden room. There is no garden, no view, nothing but a highway that we could practically reach out and touch from our balcony. (see photot) The biggest disappointment was around the air con unit which did not work and we received 4 days worth of excuses ranging from "it is a weekend and service techs will charge $150 hr to come and fix it" to "we will call on Monday and it will be fixed". I say if there is a problem with a room the managers either 1. move the guests to another room (which was offered to us but for the highter room fee) 2. fix the problem or 3. offer a discount. None of these happened so we were forced to sleep with the balcony door open and listen to traffic all night.
The cleanliness was atrocious. We discovered the carcus of some kind of beetle/roach (?) in our bathroom vanity (see photo)and later a roach ran across the bathroom floor. The sheets were not changed in the double bed (which was advertised as a queen bed and was soft and not comfortable) in 4 days and toiletries were not replaced so by the last day we had no shampoo. The breakfast is a sorry little event with some store bought pastries, coffee (the highlight) and fruit - there is one sofa on which to sit so guests stand around trying to balance coffee cups and their food. No one used the pool while we were there- it was completely uninviting looking and cold.
Would not recommend this hotel unless you want to shell out big bucks to stay in the ocean front rooms. Really the only thing I liked was that the location made travelling to either the south or the north easy. After 4 days though we thankfully moved to a condo in Poipu which was great.

Room Tip: the garden rooms overlook a highway
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Janet R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!