“Live like a Local”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kapaa
Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Kapaa B&B and Inns
Ocean Beach, California, United States
“Live like a Local”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Kakalina Bed and Breakfast is set up in the hills above Kapaa. It is peaceful, beautiful. I had the downstairs unit in the guest house. It was like having my own apartment--bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, sitting room, lanai. The sitting room overlooks greenery, sloping hills. The only sounds you hear are rain, roosters, birds. Kathy provides delicious fruit, homemade muffins, coffee, juice. When you want to see the sights of Kauai, you drive down the hill. Easy. After a day of touring, traffic, other tourists, you return to your quiet refuge. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The downstairs unit is perfect if you are travelling alone or are a couple. The upstairs room accomo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susie P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The location was beautiful. Hard to find in the dark, but beautiful. The cottage was nicely equipped, but yes the wall were thin and you could hear the people in the adjoining unit. I have a white noise app on my phone and used it every night. I had early starts every day on my stay in Kauai. The breakfasts were nothing fancy, but just what one needs. On my last morning as I woke up I noticed a huge ant problem around my bed. They weren't there every day, only the last morning and no, I had not left any food around. I only had a bottle of water by my bed. I shook out about 30 from my laptop that I had left on the floor overnight. Gulp. Anyways yes, I would stay there again. The price was right and the overall quiet was welcome. She just needs a little Raid or ??

The bed was incredibly comfortable!! And go to Sushi Bushido for Lollipop roll in Kapaa! Unreal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ton1977
60616Kathy, Owner at Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Just as easily do ants appear they disappear.
Yes I did go to the unit after my guest had left and found lots of ants that had come out during the night.
I treated them and now I can't find any in that area.
Just have to keep on top of them as it is an ongoing problem!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked this trip in april of last year not knowing at the time my husband has cancer; When therewe got there it was ike stepping into the Land of Oz. Kathy was there to help before we got there by accepting UPS. Everymoning there was home baked goodies and fresh pineapple. The room could easily have been an appartment. Quite comfortable beauty is what you get. Max, the cat even comes to visit and will eat breakfast if you have food. If you want peace in this world of turmoil go stay at Kakalina's. Kathy is a friend and knows a great deal about the island. You will have fresh flowers from her garden and a beauty you will never forget from both Kathy, Max and the Graden Ilse of Hawaii. We know we were there a month.
Barb

Room Tip: Look for a person not a group of rooms owned by a cooperation. Look for someone who is willing to w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pullman, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We made a reservation at Kakalina's based on a friend's recommendation and we couldn't have been happier. It's the most comfortable, complete vacation rental we've ever had. Kathy, the owner, is a gem. She makes excellent bread, knew exactly how much to "help" without being intrusive, and added so much to our stay. Her recommendations for things to do were absolutely perfect, and she was so helpful when we needed it. I just wish she had a place on other islands so we could go there, but this place will definitely keep us coming back to Kauai and Kakalina's as our "base camp". Thank you, Kathy, for a fantastic week!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Aloha
We were lucky enough to stay for a few weeks and had such a great experience we are already planning our next visit. Peaceful and quiet while perfectly located on the island everything is within a short drive away. The suite was perfect for us and had anything we needed from preparing meals to relaxing.
I would recommend Kakalinas to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Spent 7 nights at Kakalina's staying in 2 bedroom suite which she made available to us even though we were a party of just 2 total price a little over $700. When we first arrived in Kauai it was dark and raining and I could not find my GPS (did find it the next day buried in luggage) So I had to call Kathy to help us find her place so gave us directions and was waiting for us in the rain when we arrived and showed us to our room. Room was clean and looks as it did in pictures on website. A Light breakfast was left in room every night, sometimes the cake was eaten as a late night snack. Breakfast was perfect for eating on go before morning excursions. Waking up in the morning you get to see all the tropical flowers that Kathy has on her property. Short drive to beach which provides nice pictures as you come down the mountain especially in the mornings. Heavy rain one day provide a great picture of water falls coming off the mountain seen from behind the property. Yes there are rooster and they start crowing around 2:00 -3:00am and they don't let up, this is an island wide phenomena. During our stay we would have about 7-10 minutes of hot water which made for quick showers after day long hikes. Property is located about 25-30 miles to either end of island but this 25 mile drive will take about hour. On our next trip to Kauai we will stay a few nights at different points in Kauai and will definitely stay a few nights a Kakalina's when we stop over in Kapaa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Landenberg, PA
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent four nights in the Hale Elua unit in January. The combination bedroom, kitchen and living area is spacious and well furnished. The price of $85 is quite reasonable, even when the $65 cleaning fee is considered. Although we missed the camaraderie of a shared breakfast, Kathy left an ample and tasty Hawaiian breakfast in the room each morning and provided snorkel and beach gear for our use throughout our stay. This B&B’s location is quiet (except for the roosters everywhere in Kauai) and convenient – about an 8-minute drive from downtown Kapaa. For us, two additional attractive features were the car rental arrangements Kathy made (at a MUCH lower rate than Hotwire offered) and the three acres of lavishly landscaped grounds surrounding the rooms. Kathy kindly provided a guided tour of those grounds.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!