“Deceptive Practices”

Waipouli Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I gave this a "terrible" to get peoples attention. Facilities were excellant. Staff Excellant. Location Excellant. Pool, Excellant. So, why did I rate it terrible. How about telling me more than once that I was going to get and had PAID for ocean front. WARNING, Building H is at the front of the Complex but is NOT OCEAN FRONT. However, they call it ocean front. When I walk to my balcony, I expect to be OCEAN FRONT. YOu are not. They have two other buildings that are OCEAN FRONT but this bulding H is not. It is OCEAN VIEW. After a few days, they offered to allow me to move but by then, who cares. Damage is done. I did not feel like repacking and moving. SO beware. They will charge you for what you are NOT getting. Their definition of Ocean front is rediculous but they charge you for it without you knowing.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank davidpjr
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed September 24, 2008

We loved our stay. The room was amazing! We loved everything about it. The pool was great, 4ft in the deepest part though. I loved the waterfalls and laying by the pool. It was really nice to be right across the street from Safeway, subway, starbucks etc. Although we had read some bad reviews on partial mountain view rooms, we didn't mind our view one bit. We got up every morning and watched the sunrise at the beach. Service was very good and the room were amazing. The resort provides free internet but bring your own ethernet cable. We highly recommend the resort!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EmilyandJason
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We traveled here w/ 2 teen daughters & a 10 yr. old daughter. Each person in the family loved the resort's "look"...the room's were excellent, very high end feeling, spacious, & clean. We enjoyed the extra amenities such as the "I-Homes" in both bdrms, we loved the big bath tubs & felt very spoiled by the end of the week. The location was ideal for us . This hotel allows you easy access to the shopping center across the street for quick grocery trips or trinket shopping at the Longs Drugs or ABC store. Also, it was easy to drive either to Poipu or Hanalei from this location. We're from Southern Cal so a 20 minute drive in either dircetion is not a big deal! The swimming pool was always clean, the pool & bar/snack bar staff were always very energetic, friendly, & professional. Our room was closest to the pool area & each morning by 7:00am, the pool staff was already busy at work testing the water, cleaning up the lounge chairs,raking up the sand, etc. Very hard working department! The food options were fairly limited at the tiki bar so I wouldn't recommend that you could eat dinner here each night & get a different entree but what they did have was decent & about on par w/ the rest of the island for pricing. The drinks were all delicious ! The beach adjacent to the hotel is really quite nice & we enjoyed the added touch of thatched umbrellas & small concrete tables.

Our only complaint was that they attempted to give us a room WITHOUT an ocean view at in after we had paid extra for that. Be cautious though at check in because what we consider to be an ocean view may be different than what THEY have catergorized as one. For example, they have a snack bar building and large plants around that side of the pool area...in front of that is the very fun tiki bar.. At check in, I noticed they had given me room B-102...since it was too early still to check in, we waited by the pool. I walked over to the unit and discovered that it's view was the back of the wall of the snackbar & that unless I was hanging from the ceiling fans inside the unit, there was no ocean view, not even a partial one!

I politely went back to the reception desk and spoke with the gentleman & told him I did not want that room that they were getting ready for me...he told me they were booked full & that B-102 was designated as an ocean view. Our polite war of words continued as I told him that I paid a lot of extra money in October '07 for an OCEAN VIEW not a PARTIAL view or even a GARDEN VIEW....that if I had to take this unit, then I wanted to be credited the difference in price for a GARDEN VIEW. He said that would not be possible becasue it was determined to be an OCEAN VIEW! I told him that maybe it was before they built the pool snack bar and Tiki lounge & planted all the beautiful plants but not now. I also offered to have him walk the unit with me so he could show me the ocean view.

He was very polite thru this whole process btw and our tones stayed civil yet direct...after about 30 minutes, he finally was able to get the ocean view we should have received in the first place, which was H-106. We really enjoyed this unit's close proximity to the pool, beach, & bar!

This was our one and only glitch at this resort, everything else was perfect!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank tclearyn3
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed in unit A102 (2 bed-3 bath) from 6 Sept-13 Sept. We found our stay to be really pleasant. It was a really convienent place to stay with 2 grocery stores across the street (a Safeway, and a Foodmart, we prefered to shop in the Foodmart). There are also several restaurants in the area too (Coconuts was great in our opinions).

The rooms were really beautiful. We reserved an OceanFront (booked through Costco), which was fantastic. It was right near the bar where they have live music most nights, but it didn't really disturb us (I could barely hear it and it never woke up our baby who is an incredibly light sleeper).

I had a massage at the spa and really enjoyed that too. It was great.

The one problem I did find was the views and room were too nice...you didn't want to leave! The pool was fantasic also and we enjoyed the 'soft water' (aka saline pool...so much nicer than chlorine!). They have a great sand bottom area of the pool for little ones and the sand is a big grain so it doesn't get in eyes and washes off easily. The slides were lots of fun too.

In all honesty if I had to say a couple of things that could use improvement, they would be:
- Not charging $10/night for highchairs and cribs to be rented. You already pay a premium to stay here (we got lucky...someone had bought a booster seat and left it in the condo).
- The housekeeping could be a little random too. Some days we ended up with loads of extra towels, and other days none. One bed would be fully made, and the other not.
- Talk to the city about the traffic light to turn onto the highway. We sat there for a good 5-7 minutes one day, just trying to turn right out of the complex.

All in all, we would definitely go back and stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank HaveKidWillTeardrop
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Nice rooms and beautiful island.
Our vacation was spoiled by inebriated
patrons from the bar. There was this one
guy named Joe who kept harrassing our
teenage daughters, when we told him to
go away he claimed he was an owner/realtor.
everyday he was at the pool --a nuisance
safety concerns, wont go back

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank fgrabiel
Reviewed September 5, 2008

let me start out by saying the waipouli beach resort and spa is beautiful. the room i stayed in was beautifully decorated in hawaiiana style. it looked very luxurious. my sister's room on another floor was not as nicely decorated. i stayed in a top floor unit which has an added bonus of high ceilings giving it a much more spacious feel than the rooms on other floors. i stayed at waipouli over the labor day weekend and had a strange experience. my stay on friday and saturday night were uneventful, but on sunday night i believe i had a visit from a spirit. i returned from dinner around 9pm and got ready for bed. i put my earrings that i had been wearing that night on the desk next to the bed. i was watching tv and kept hearing clinking noises coming from the kitchen. i was spooked so i turned on the living room light to keep a light on all night. i had strange nightmares all night long. the next morning after showering, i went to the desk to put on my earrings and one earring was snapped broken. the earrings themselves were still on the desk but the wires had been detached from the earrings and were on the floor under the desk. i gathered up the wires and one small piece of metal that i thought came from my earring and flew home to oahu. upon examining my earrings, i realized the small piece of metal i had picked up was not from my earring and was probably from someone else's earring. i think the spirit that visits this particular room has a thing about earrings. i had no knowledge of spirts at waipouli until i got home and searched the internet and found an article about the strange goings-on at waipouli.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank orchid13honolulu
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This place is as good as it gets. We've stayed all over the world and this place is first class. Our condo was facing the water and the views were breathtaking. The condos themselves are all decorated and accessorized to the max. Granite countertops everywhere, subzero fridge, flat screen TV's in all the rooms, DVD players, fullsize washer/dryer, upscale linens and kitchen utensils, etc...

The pool area doesn't get any better. Tropical furniture surround the salt generated pool, which makes your skin feel wonderful when you get out. Poolside bar lets you order lunch and drinks either at your location sitting at the pool or in the open air seating at the bar. Unmatched views of the beach are seen from any location around the pool. The lazy river and twin water slides create fun for the young ones, and even the old ones too.

I can't say enough about this place. We hope to one day return to the Waipouli Beach Resort!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank djmags
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!