“Awesome Week” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Irvine, California, United States
“Awesome Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here 4 a week, loved being able to cook breakfast and enjoy the ocean views while eating breakfast. Packed too many clothes, with the washer and dryer in the room pack light. Two sliding doors to let the trade winds into the room were great, being on the top, 4th floor made it very nice

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark P
GEEnright, General Manager at Waipouli Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Aloha
The staff and I would like to thank you for taking time out to post this review. It appears you had a wonderful visit with us! We certainly hope / expect to see you back with us again real soon! Please tell your family and friends about us.
Gregg Enright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Have always wanted to try island living so decided to stay in Kauai for 16 days to work and play. Great experience, fantastic place for families or groups!

Rented G306 from ReMax of Kauai and couldn't have been happier. Unit faced ocean lending itself to the best views in the resort! Much more quiet and scenic than the resort view.

Accommodations were clean and comfortable. Unit is very well stocked with everything you'd need -- even a laundry hamper for dirty clothes!

Resort is top notch and while we stayed during the month of August, the resort never seemed very filled. Most people stay in the pool area leaving the beach to be wide open, never more than a couple of people at any time. Really loved the beach.

However, I was surprised to see even more beautiful beaches in the resort area in Poipu, That said, I would still prefer to stay at the Waipouli beach resort anytime because it is so convenient to the city of Lihue and all places to eat out and shop. Costco and Walmart are near the Lihue airport and only about 10 miles away. There is a Safeway that you can easily walk to at any time right across the street. All of these things make it so much nicer to stay here!

Only downside of the resort is Internet. At least G306 relies on the resort wide "Roomnet" network for wifi. You have to accept terms daily to use the service. That's not a huge inconvenience but with everybody on it, it is S-L-O-W. We tried to telecommute from here for a week and although it's possible, if you have to take online conference calls, you can expect to lose your connection from time to time. Forget about any video conferencing.

Also Sprint cell phone service is non-existent at the resort. AT&T is spotty, but better.

Room Tip: Be very careful of location. Some units are placed badly overlooking parking lots or other units...
3 Thank KMunsell
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I read reviews on this resort for weeks and weeks so had a pretty good idea going-in what to expect. Most of my expectations were met so if you have a reservation here I say relax and look forward to it. I should note we rented through Kauai Exclusive and they were first class all the way. I am not too sure about other rental arrangements.

I think it helps to say how great things were but also to point out things travelers notice like
peeling paint in some places, poorly conceived kitchen area to supply Oasis Restaurant,
pool gates were a hassle, that sort of thing

Our condo A402, was fabulous in so many ways. A little wear and tear, lampshade missing, pillow cases not matching, torn this and that, mr coffee (well used) in a two million oceanfront condo, chairs could be more comfortable, stuff like that.

Something happened I did not tell my wife. On our last day when I opened the elevator there
were three of the largest frogs I have ever seen in my life huddled in a corner. I thought they
were decoration then one moved. A man doing some work at the resort used his shoe to
kick out the intruders and move them along down the hall. It was quite a scene but there was
no harm.

Oh yes, the location was ideal for our purposes. I say yes to this place.

Room Tip: We were oceanfront and others have commented less favorably about other locations. I could stay an...
3 Thank bigdave1
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at this condo complex recently after cancelling a stay at the older Lae Nani just down the street (owned and operated by the same company) when we found that the latter did not have air conditioning, and it was August and VERY hot. We enjoyed the newer Outrigger a lot for the location (an ideal jumping-off point for exploring Kauai; and right across the street from a shopping center with groceries, drug store, etc.). Also enjoyed the pool which goes around in a loop, fun to float on your back and look at the stars at night. In addition the concierge was very helpful in getting us a last minute booking to a Na Poli Coast boat tour. So-- negatives? Our unit was very spacious and comfortable but awfully dour-- decorated in browns and earth tones. A fish on the wall would have been nice! Also, our unit was described (and priced) as "oceanfront" but the ocean view was actually an oblique one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Snarth
GEEnright, General Manager at Waipouli Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Aloha,
The staff and i are grateful for your feedback and we look forward to you visiting us again soon!
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I haven't written a review in awhile and am making the effort now after a wonderful stay here in July. I did a bunch of research and wanted to stay at one of the top 10 places on tripadvisor. I found this place and am so happy I booked here. 1st of all, the East side of the island turned out to be a great place to be based. It's very central compared to staying all the way up north or south. The hotel/condos themselves are very nice. You won't get a room this nice unless you pay a lot more money somewhere else. If a view is important to you, take care to do some research and find out which bldg your room is in and which direction it faces. Anything facing the pool and/or beach is great. Booking on vrbo turned out to be a great idea, allowing you to choose exactly what you want as far as view/room #s and price. Booking earlier than later will give you more choices. If you're unsure about which part of the island to stay - this is a great place. This is definitely the nicest place to stay on the east shores. The grounds are very nice. The pool and spas are great, and it's nice to have the BBQs as well. 1 tip - make costco your 1st stop after the airport, especially if you want to start with a little Ahi Poke - they have like 5 different kinds to choose from.

Room Tip: Find out your bldg and room # ahead of time and google a map of this property to make sure you know...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank stickman5000
Aloha,
The staff and I are grateful for your feedback and we look forward to you visiting us again soon!
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

WOW, best condo I have ever stayed at. Beautifully decorated, comfortable beds, gourmet kitchen and 3 bathrooms with 2 big tubs. All the conveniences of home and all the beach toys who could ask for. Conveniently located on the island between Poupu and Princeville with a Safeway and other shops directly across the street. Fabulous pool and 3 sand bottom hot tubs. Great for couples or families.

Aloha,
The staff and I are grateful for your feedback and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I enjoyed my 10 day stay at the Waipouli Beach Resort. A couple of things to mention:

Location - the location was on a busy street just south of Kapaa. We didn't hear the traffic, but if you want to take a left onto the highway, it took at least 3-4 minutes (it was a real long light). Plus, traffic was a bit of a stinker, so that was a bit of a bummer. It wasn't really close enough to walk into the town of kapaa with kids.

Rooms - the rooms where really nice. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. The kitchen was very spacious. I didn't like how the only deck/lanai was only off the master bedroom. Plus, it was small - only fit for 2 people. Big bathrooms, we had two toilets. With two boys, that was a nice feature.

Amenities - the pool area was nice, but usually crowded. We were able to time it well by going early in the morning. It seems like it's busiest in the afternoon. Parents of young kids might not like the pool because there are so many hidden coves. Our kids are getting a bit older, so it wasn't as big of a deal, but it's something to be aware of. We never had a problem snagging a few beach chairs. That was nice to not have to worry about.

Beach - the beach out from of the hotel is nice, but not really swimmable. When I heard that it wasn't swimmable, I thought it was just big waves - but it's really the rocks and corral that make it unswimmable.

Parking - very ample parking on site.

Staff - staff was ok. Usually all I got was a smile, but none of them were overly friendly (except for the towel boy who I offered some BBQ chicken too - he was real nice after that). :-)

Would I come back? Probably not. The hotel is nice, but only because it's newer. There were a lot of postage signs that were ripping off, and some of the outside walls were lacking paint altogether. Don't get me wrong, the place is nice, but it reminds of one of those new neighborhoods built, that go downhill fast. This could be one of them - but not sure. Overall, if it wasn't for the traffic and the deterioration, I would possibly come back, but the pool just wasn't enough of a selling point for me.

Aloha,
First off, thank you for the extensive review / feedback. We will work on the points we can control. As for the traffic light leading out of the property, some changes have been implimented. Our traffic is only reflective of how popular Kauai has become in recent years, due to its rural Hawaiian casualness. Incomparison to other resort areas I would think our traffic is realitively mild, and I am sure you would attest to the fact that Kauai is truly one of the nicest places on the planet to be sitting in traffic!
Gregg Enright
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,203 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!