“Gorgeous grounds, friendly family staff, excellent hula”

Smith's Tropical Paradise
Ranked #41 of 125 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Polynesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Loved the drinks, food, the dancing & the friendly family staff. Only downside (and it barely was) was that it is such a large luau. The grounds are simply breathtaking! The host is hilarious too!

There are newer reviews for Smith's Tropical Paradise

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Smith's advertises the best luau on the island, and our friends who live on Kauai recommended we go.

Since I have no other luau experience to compare this to, I'll just give my impressions. The night we went there were about 500 other people there. The only time I felt like there was such a large group was in the dining pavilion.

The food was good, if bland, but typical Hawaiian fare. The roast pork was really good! Smith's does serve alcohol.

During dinner they put on a small but entertaining show in the dining pavilion, but the real entertainment comes after in the outdoor theatre. Again, I had no idea what to expect, but I thought they put on a good show, and I think this wouls be a great entertainment for the whole family. It's not Vegas-y at all, and my husband, who does have experience with luaus, enjoyed it as much as I did. I think this is a good value for the money.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Despite the rain they moved us through pretty quickly to the tram. The food was buffet style but tasty! The pork was delicious as was the beef, even the Mai tais were good. The show was entertaining and the dancers were great to watch. It is too bad when we were told to not use flash photography/ video that not everyone listened! Never ceases to amaze me how some people think things don't apply to them!
All in all glad I went.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Its a nice place thats for sure. They could use a little up keep however. Some of the signs for the flora needed redone. And whats with the goats? We are going along on this old tram getting information on the local plants, animals and culture and all the sudden there are goats in a pen. Lots of goats. Still trying to figure that one out. Anyway, the mai tais (?) were weak and the mixed drinks were strong. We tried to get our moneys worth with the drinks (it is expensive), good thing because the food was a total let down. The only authentic hawaiian fare was the pork and poi. The pork was average and the poi - well it just sucks. The show was okay but the hula dancers need some serious weight loss. I know, there are just some heavy hula dancers out there but come on, some were just obese.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The grounds are beautiful. Plenty of parking. Buffet style dinning. Beef, chicken, pulled pork and salmon. Many many sides. Mashed potato, three bean salad, fried rice, green salad, cuc salad a lot of fruit. Separate dessert table with Cake jello much more, Entertainment all through dinner then off to area for an awesome show. Great dancing with narration and music. Fire thrower was wonderful.