“Good Shave Ice -- Expect A Possibly Long Wait”

Ono Family Restaurant and Shave Ice
Ranked #19 of 125 Restaurants in Kapaa
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 29, 2014

We went to Ono Shave Ice one afternoon and waited in line for more than 30 minutes for shave ice. Very good shave ice - my favorite is still Ululani's in Maui, but this shave ice was far better than Matusmoto's on Oahu. The portions were huge and, despite being a shave ice fan, I had hit the saturation point at the end of mine. I really appreciated how they put the scoop of ice cream in the middle of the shave ice rather than at the bottom. They started with a layer of shave ice and poured in the syrup flavors you request, added the ice cream, and then finished off with another mound of ice and syrup. I haven't seen that approach anywhere else.

Service was friendly and patient. When we visited, there was one woman who took the orders and cash, shaved the ice, and poured the syrup. Another woman stood by and just scooped ice cream when needed. Not sure why she wasn't involved in either making the shave ice or taking payment, but perhaps she was just a trainee. In any event, the first woman would take two or three orders and then make the shave ice, take another two or three orders, and so on. Not very efficient with only one person doing all of the work, but she worked like mad and thus 5 stars for service despite the wait. The shave ice window is in a parking lot, so it's best to take your shave ice and wander into Kapaa and look for a shady spot so your ice doesn't melt too quickly.

1  Thank SCL94556
There are newer reviews for Ono Family Restaurant and Shave Ice

Reviewed August 28, 2014

Broke da mouth yet once again. I love this place for breakfast. Have been going here for years. It all started with Sheila, who is no longer there and truly missed! She suggested the "local boy" omelet. Kimchee and portagee sausage served with hash browns. Melanie, Sheila's daughter was there yesterday and waited on us. She said "you walked in the door and you already knew what you were going order, didn't you?". The drive from Princeville is so worth it to me. I never stray from this dish. Everyone else ALWAYS gets something amazing. Nothing but compliments here. Ono FAMILY thank you for always making me feel like a part of yours.

1  Thank mikethetraveler
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Every time we visit Kauai, we have to stop by Ono's for their tropical stack at breakfast and a shave ice in the afternoon. Their shave ice are huge and flavorful.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Dilapidated building with no airconditioning. Limited parking. Waited 35 minutes for our food. Some of the silverware was dirty (like, coated with old eggs). Service was friendly. Food (sandwiches & salad) was so-so, Single bathroom is outside and just as dilapidated as the rest of the building. We like off the beaten path type eating places with local flavor but this was just not up to snuff.

2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed August 16, 2014

My husband and I heard this was a great place for breakfast so we were excited to try it. Coffee came and was flavored (not regular coffee). Both of our breakfast entrees tasted very bland. The staff although were nice and attentive. It was busy and we were seated quickly. We were not impressed by the food and will not be going back.

1  Thank tlcsoccermom