“Good Food/Great Shave Ice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ono Family Restaurant and Shave Ice
Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Salt Lake City
“Good Food/Great Shave Ice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I eat breakfast at Ono Family Restaurant every time we visit Kauai. The breakfasts are very good. The service this time was OK. This visit the server seemed a little too busy to be very friendly. The food was prepared in an acceptable time and was good. We also ate lunch here and found that the server was not very happy. We enjoyed the good food but felt that the servers really didn't like their jobs. I believe most of the server staff are related. We still eat breakfast at the Ono Family restaurant regardless of the attitude of the servers. GOOD FOOD.
GOOD PRICES.

Auburn, California
“Happy Birthday Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

On June 15th I was celebrating my birthday along with friends who were also celebrating Father's Day. I had a very ordinary breakfast : bacon and eggs. The service was wonderful and the food was wholesome. What is so great about this restaurant is that is it family owned and operated. My friends who treated me to breakfast had been there for dinner meals and they were always pleased. Also, in the same building, there is a Shave Ice place that is run solely by one of the Ono Boys. I do not eat "Shave Ice" but my friends enjoyed it completely. They said it was probably one of the best "Shave Ice" they had tasted while in Kauai.

Frederick, Maryland
“good food, worth a seciond try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stopped here for lunch based on a customers recommendation. He told us they come there all the time but sometimes the working staff have some language issues and if you have a bad experience just come back another time. We decided to try it and it was one of those days. I ordered the Barbecue chicken with fries and my husband got a hamburger. The chicken was deboned and flattened and it was served with rice and vegetables. It was good, I didn't eat the rice because I wasn't in the mood for rice and I didn't say anything either, it just wasn't worth it. My haband loved his burger even though it was a little well done he did the flavor was very good. We decided we might want to come back for breakfast. I probably wouldn't go back for lunch again.

Gig Harbor, Washington
“Conveniently situated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This review is for the the shave ice stand outside the Ono Family restaurant. For us the stand out shave ice locations in Kauai are Wishing Well in the north, and Jo Jo's Anuenue in the south, both very far away from where we usually are. So, to the rescue for our shave ice needs, the Ono Shave Ice in Kapaa is a life saver. For aficionados, the ice here is a little coarse, but the flavors are good, they have a choice of several different ice creams (coconut, chocolate, in addition to Mac nut and vanilla) as well as other fillings and toppings. Also the size of a serving is generous, and they put the ice cream in the middle which is a good idea. I've usually only had the ice cream on the bottom. How ever not having to drive to Hanalei for shave ice is the best thing.

Palm Bay, Florida
“Best breakfast anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife schedules us to visit Kauai every few years, just to get our fix of Ono's banana pancakes with their fabulous homemade coconut syrup. Unbelievably good! What a great side dish to add to a breakfast of bacon and eggs, hashbrowns and island coffee. You just can't do better than Ono's for breakfast ... anywhere. Don't go if you are a resort snob, you probably won't appreciate the local "atmosphere". But if you want wonderful food, they have not disappointed my wife and I over six trips to Kauai spanning almost 24 years. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Stephen T