“Very good breakfast”

Ono Family Restaurant and Shave Ice
Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jericho, Vermont
“Very good breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were very pleased with our breakfast at Ono. Service was friendly and prices were about typical for Hawai'i. This place does have a locals vibe to it which is more my preference over the more resort-y places.

Ashburn, Virginia
“Great Breakfast, Gone Native”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Located right on the "main drag" in Kapa`a, Ono Family Restaurant and Shave Ice sits on the corner of a well-established shopping area. I had heard from some locals that this was one of the best places for breakfast, I decided to give it a try. So I did. And I returned the next day, so the first try was enough to convince me!

I've read a lot about the shave ice (why is it not "shaved," I wonder? Not just here, but all over Kaua`i), but I came for the breakfast. The first morning I had corned beef hash with two eggs - a meal I haven't had in years. It was perfect! The waitress brought me ketchup without asking, and kept my coffee cup filled. The second morning I ate the Lindsey Special, a fried rice concoction topped with eggs and choice of sausage (I had Portugese). The portions were large but not huge - I every bite and felt filled but not stuffed.

There is no doubt this is a local favorite. There were three of Kaua`i's finest just finishing breakfast as I arrived. Many of the patrons appeared to be "regulars," and known by the staff. Service was fast and friendly, despite the sometimes hectic nature of the business. This is certainly not a "hidden" gem!

“Locals place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We were in Kapaa just walin around and saw the shaved ice place. Holy cow!!! They are HUGE and oh so yummy!!! While we were sitting there enjoying our shaved ice we look at the menu and decided that we had to come back for breakfast. Our last day we came by and it was packed!! Definitely a place for locals. We waited (not a bad wait). Food was a little slow to come out, but worth the wait. It was so good. This is a definite stop while in Kapaa!!

Mokena, Illinois
“YUM!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ono Family is a must visit everytime we come to Kauai.
But I must say, the shaved ice here is the best shaved ice we have ever had. As we waited in the line for ours, other customers were telling us they drove from the northside of the island because nothing else was compared to this place.

Visited September 2013
Alton, Illinois
“Shave ice mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stopped on our way to another store and shared a shave ice. They are so big that there was no way either of us could have eaten one by ourselves. They were very generous with the flavors.

Visited September 2013