“Very nice river cruise”

Smiths Fern Grotto Wailua River Cruis
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Since my husband has never been to Kauai, I thought this was a must visit. We have a very nice time. The employees are all very friendly and will answer any question you may have. They explain on the way up to the grotto and back. Very pleasant and enjoyable.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Before I visited Kauai for the first time, I asked several family members about The Fern Grotto tour. The reviews were all the same...."It used to be better". I decided to see for myself and my friend and I took the first tour of the morning. I did actually enjoy the live music and dancing on the river boat, as well as the Grotto (can't really miss what you never saw before right?). I enjoyed walking to and from the Grotto with all the tree's, bamboo, and flowers...very pretty! So overall, I am happy that I saw the Fern Grotto, but it's a 'seen it once' sort of a tour for me. If you are thinking about it, I say read a few reviews, then see it for yourself to form your own opinion...only $20 to satisfy your curiosity (that's less than the Friday night buffet at the Marriott in Lihue...well with the splurge though). Mahalo Smith's for a once in a lifetime experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Fern Grotto is NOT what it used to be! The Wailua is an unremarkable river, the most interesting view was the thonged bikini paddle boarder that we passed. It is a pleasant thirty minutes on the river going to the grotto with a few minutes of unmemorable commentary. The walk to the grotto is on a paved pathway about 200 yards in length. You spend an unnecessary fifteen minutes or more looking at the grotto, which suffered significant damage from two hurricanes many years ago, then walk back to the boat for your pleasant ride back to the marina. The Smith family does some mediocre entertaining on the ride back. We paid a total of $36 for two adults for this extremely overpriced and disappointing tour. We do not recommend.

1  Thank Womentravelers
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Talk about a tourist trap. But we didn't care. My great-grandmother apparently used to go on and on about the Fern Grotto, and so we felt compelled to see it in her honor.

The last time I was in Kauai, we kayaked to the fern grotto, and we had a great experience. But this time, we had our 8 month old baby with us, so the boat ride was more appropriate. The boat ride was fun, but did not leave on time despite their insistence that we arrive 15 minutes early. Once we arrived at the fern grotto, a group of performers sing a little song, do a little dance, and preform a fake Hawaiian marriage ceremony. The gardens around the grotto are beautiful and the paths to the grotto are well kept and safe. If you have trouble with mobility, you wouldn't have too much trouble with the short walk from the boat to the grotto.

Back in the day, you used to be able to go in to the actual grotto, but now you are kept quite a distance away, for safety reasons they say.

This will not blow your mind or be the highlight of your trip. But I do think it was enjoyable and a fun activity for any age.

1  Thank Stephanie A
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my husband and son's least favorite thing we did in Kauai. It was a slow boat ride with about 50+ people on the boat that went on this short ride to see the Fern Grotto. The best part was the authentic Hawaiian entertainment. I liked it better than they did but, we probably could have passed on it and hung out at the resort pool instead....