“Rough Seas but Memories to last” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kainalu Fishing LLC

Kainalu Fishing LLC
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience a Kauai style deep sea fishing adventure on a 30' Force Cat.We offer half and full day deep sea fishing charters on the East Side of Kauai and whale watching when in season. We share the catch!
Buckhannon, West Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Rough Seas but Memories to last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We chartered this trip for May of 2013. I spoke directly with John several times regarding the best harbor to take a trip out of based on our hotel and although there were much larger boats and harbors there was something about him that made me book. We spoke a couple of days before the trip to touch base and we knew the seas might be a little rough but we kept the trip booked (FYI - if you're going for several days, book your trip early so that in case you have to change days you have time). We took the boat out several miles, Captain John and First Mate Francis are the best!!!! The seas ended up being VERY rough and although my mother loved it, my friends and father were a little unsettled (take a few Dramamine before any boat trip). We tried trolling but the seas were too rough. We went to a few buoys that had success in the past and god was good that day and we hit several skip jacks and two yellowfin tuna. We were able to keep part of the catch at the end and shared the rest with John & Francis. I have deep sea fished on the east coast a lot and never have I experienced a trip like this with such amazing fishermen. Mahalo!!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank jbttrfly7

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Way to spend the day with family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife, her aunt and I charted the day with Captain John and his 1st Mate Francis recently. Luckily for us the swells had calmed the night before and we were able to climb aboard in the wee hours the next morning. CPT. John gave us a brief overview of the boat and where all the safety equipment was located while Francis got the gear and boat ready to shove off. I was impressed by the vessel and the safety mindedness of the crew as this was the first time I was out on deep sea water (I grew up on the clam waters of the Great Lakes).

After we broke the surf, Francis dropped our lines and we started to troll. Within 15 minutes we got a bite and started to real in what was something big on the line. Francis was moving through the back of the boat clearing lines and getting me settled in the chair all the while giving me instructions. I soon got to see what was on the line because it jumped out of the water.....it was a Marlin! My adrenaline was pumping so hard and I was reeling faster than I realized. Unfortunately, the marlin broke the line and got away....but what an adrenaline rush that was.

After we re-rigged that line, we moved into some deeper water and caught a couple Acu's (I think thats what Francis called them). They were smaller fish, about 20lbs, but that beats a Lake Erie perch any day. We trolled for awhile longer enjoying great conversation about the island and all the things to do in Kauai. Shortly before we were making our way back in, our outrigger line took off with a loud zip. We went through the same routine as the Marlin, there was such excitement on the boat! I reeled and reeled for about 30-40 minutes and eventually brought in the biggest fish I had ever seen in person. It was a yellow fin tuna. Captain John and Francis estimated its weight at 140 lbs!

To wrap up the day, I asked the Captain if he could give us some of the fish for a family get together on the beach the next day to share. He was all to happy to do so. I truly enjoyed the crews company and talks. They made the day with my family so memorable. I cant wait to go back and fish with them again.

Visited June 2013
Buckhannon, West Virginia
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Deep Ocean, Great Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

With my daughter, her two friends and my husband we chartered the boat with Capt. John and mate Francis. The sea was rough and captain was originally going to take us out 500 fathoms, but ended up going about 1,000. It was rough. Daughter and one friend were extremely sea sick, husband was nervous, other friend managed. Only had one nibble on the lure on the big reel, but when we headed out to the popular buoys, we caught several skipjack and two yellow fin tuna. Captain is a kind soul of Christian faith. Francis is a gem. We hit some pretty high swells and I enjoyed the thrill of the ocean and it made for great memories. We were only able to keep a small portion of our catch because we were not able to stay in our kitchen condo unit except for one night, so the captain was blessed with our catch. He offered us a super amount of food and drink, but the waters were too rough to tempt eating.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Debbie H
“Great guys and fishing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

John is the business minded and customer service captain but Francis is the quiet Hawaiian zen ninja fishing expert. A cool team together. We got a hit on something big fast trolling but didn't get him in. Then we got into a bunch of skip jacks. Great for 2 teenage sons.

Portland, Oregon, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I went deep sea fishing with Captain John and Francis during my trip to Kauai, and I was so glad I did! It was a wonderful experience to be out on the ocean in John's boat. John and Francis are very friendly and made the entire day so fun! I could really tell that they both love to be out on the water fishing and also love to share the experience with others. It was beautiful out on the water and everyone in my party caught a fish! I really recommend this to anyone who is visiting Kauai!

Visited September 2012