“Awesome place to say, great owners, highly recommend!”
Review of 17 Palms Kauai

and 1 more site!
17 Palms Kauai
Ranked #2 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Overdelivered... This was the cleanest place we've ever stayed at! The house was spotless, every little detail had been thought of, very impressive! The owners were super hospitable and very helpful in every way imaginable. We have been telling our friends and family about this place since we got back, and we're not paid to say these things! WIll definately go back!

Sona, Los Angeles

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonasLosAngeles

Reviewed January 4, 2009

We recently spent 3 weeks travelling around Hawaii's islands and really loved our week's stay at 17 Palms Kauai. Ross and Jeff provided great service every step of the way. They took the time to talk to us on the phone about our trip before we booked, called on arrival to make sure everything was ok, and also provided great local tips for places to eat and must see beaches. We had such a lovely, relaxing time in Kauai, loved the self contained and beautifully decorated accommodation, felt safe and secure, had our own car spot right outside the villa, fruit trees in the garden and guide books to help us plan our day trips.
The fridge was even stocked with tasty treats and handy condiments, which made bbq'ing even better. I would absolutely recommend 17 Palms to anyone considering a trip to Kauai. Perfect for couples of any age or a small family, close to the beach and everything else you could wish for during your island holiday.
Thanks again Ross and Jeff, 17 Palms is 5 star.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I was lucky enough to stay in both of the homes and both were great. Meli Meli was better than home. I spent a week there with my parents and I loved watching my father reading in the over-sized window seat. The Shanghai kitsch decor was very enjoyable for a designer.

The owners made themselves very available but un-obtrusive and you could tell that their homes were carefully tended. Everything you might need is there and I have never stayed in a place so clean and well maintained. It is a cliche...but you can feel the love.

Hale Iki feels like a tree house. I loved the light and openness and birds (if you put out food!). It is simpler and feels a little less private than Meli Meli but for a single or couple it is a treat.

The location is very central to the Island with dining and the beach within minutes walking distance.

Overall my main memory is of comfort and peace and joy. Joy at giving my parents a taste of the complicated pleasure that is Hawai'i

(Except for those roosters....but they are inescapable in Kauai and become a feature in and of themselves.)

I would return in a heart beat.
A big Mahalo to Ross and Jeff

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Bibienna
Reviewed December 29, 2008

When my wife and I were planning our honeymoon she decided she liked the feel of 17 Palms -- and she was spot on with her choice -- the two cottages are situated perfectly on the island and easy to find. I found it at night on the first try, first time on the island -- heck, getting to the rental car place and getting the care sorted out was tougher AND more time consuming. Considering our flight was delayed a bit by head winds and we landed after 9pm I can not say how nice it was to have a quick and easy trip to the place we where staying. Add to this the short walk down a path to the beach from the back gate and my wife and I where standing on a beautiful beach at sunrise the next morning, looking out over the Pacific. The location was perfect, as next to shops, restaurants and a couple of great beaches -- as well as a local shop that can set you up with all the surfboards and other gear you could ever need. My wife and I did make the trip up both sides of the main highway to the end and we had some great experiences but honestly you could have a great trip with just what was in walking distance. If you do get a car for your stay you will have your own parking space right outside the your door, easy for loading and unloading. The interior (we stayed in the larger of the two cottages) was splendid, with very comfortable beds and an excellent kitchen that we put to good use cooking some great food from the local farmers markets and other stores. The washer and dryer were great to have -- we flew over with just a carry-on each and enjoyed not having to wait for luggage to show up or worry about it getting lost. Finally, I can't say enough about the owners. They where very nice, very helpful, and were easy to reach if something came up or even if we wanted some advice about where to get a good lunch. My wife and I are looking forward to a return trip to 17 Palms -- there is so much to see and do and explore you could spend a ton of time and never tire of this beautiful island, especially when you can set out from and return to a home away from home like 17 Palms.

Mahalo!
Ehren and Sheila

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2008

My first thought is the cottages are a slice of heaven.
Furnished beautifully, it would be difficult to find something you might need for your stay. The owners have put your comfort at the top of the priority list.
There is a book with all the tours and places of interest included. Something nice to read when you aren't cramped in a car trying to find your way there.
If you go out the back door, you are a short block to the beach. Going out the front door will take you to the Coconut Market. Trust me ladies, there is clothing there you will not find in the states. Have fun shopping.
When you stay at the cottages, you actually feel as if you live there and not just another tourist. We just don't think we could stay in a hotel again when visiting Kauai.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Our stay at 17 Palms was wonderful! It was a perfect, central location on the island of Kauai. The owners Jeff and Ross were spendid and made sure that we knew they were available if needed.

We stayed in the Meli Meli cottage. It was beautifully decorated and very clean. We felt so comfortable during our stay. Although we vacationed as a couple, we would definitely not hesitate to bring our children back to this cottage.

It was the perfect vacation! We were looking for something different than the typical hotel/resort trip, and the Meli Meli cottage was the ideal private and authentic place to come home to after a day of exploring, hiking, ziplining, kayaking and snorkelling on the beautiful island of Kauai.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2008

The 17 Palms, Kauai, consist of two well-kept and private cottages, one with two bedrooms and the other one, on a large lot at the end of a cul de sac. They were perfect for a recent family vacation and met all our needs; my wife and I and our adult son stayed in the two-bedroom, while our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter stayed in the one bedroom. I'm recommending them to anyone who asks about places to stay on Kauai, especially families looking for more room and a degree of separation. As much as we love and enjoy her, our granddaughter was up at 5 AM every morning, and it was nice to have her in a separate cottage with her parents. It worked the other way as well -- when she needed to go to bed early, we didn't have to tip-toe around the house in fear of waking her. The two-bedroom had plenty of room for us to have meals together, and served as our gathering place.

The access to the beaches was easy -- cross the street and a three-minute walk along a shaded path brought us to two beaches, one with a protected "baby" beach which was perfect for a toddler. It was also nice to be able to walk to stores and a good variety of restaurants. Since it was fairly centrally located on the island, relatively short drives took us to the beaches and points of interest both north and south. For families with small children, there is a great playground about a mile from the cottages -- at a park that also has well-protected swimming areas. You can also rent bikes in Kapaa and enjoy the relatively new bike path that parallels the coast for several miles north. Again, it worked very well for us.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
3 mi away
Aston Islander on the Beach
Garden Island Inn Hotel
Waimea Plantation Cottages
Waipouli Beach Resort

Been to 17 Palms Kauai? Share your experiences!