“Taste of Kauai ride highlight of our trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esprit De Corps Riding Academy

Esprit De Corps Riding Academy
Ranked #34 of 49 Outdoor Activities in Kapaa
More attraction details
Owner description: Esprit De Corps Riding Academy offers the complete horses experience. Beginners through advanced riders learn about Kauai, horses, and themselves while enjoying the beauty of Kauai. Small group Eco-tour trail rides, lessons in a covered arena, and weddings on horseback.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Taste of Kauai ride highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband (inexperienced rider) and I (experienced rider) found out about this place from the Ultimate Guide to Kauai guidebook and ended up going on the Taste of Kauai ride in July 2013. We were wanting to go on a non-nose to tail ride that would be fun for riders with varying comfort levels and Esprit de corps completely lived up to our expectations! We were blessed to have Bethany as our guide and the trail, with its iron red dirt and breathtaking vistas, left lasting memories (and photos). Having taken lots of classes on Hawaiian culture, Bethany asked us what we wanted to talk about (if we wanted to talk at all) and we ended up having fun discussions on Hawaiian history, culture, flora, and fauna. Bethany became so much more than a guide for us, she became a friend and Hawaiian ambassador.

Like other reviewers on here have pointed out, this is a small operation that deeply cares for their horses and intimately knows their every personality quirk. (Shout out to our horses Hoku and Shaka!) If you're looking for a personalized, intimate experience with a friendly, intelligent guide, you won't be disappointed!

3 Thank Kirsten P

Palos Verdes Estates, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Do not waste your time here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had the unfortunate experience last week of riding with Bethany who was a downer. She showed up for a 3 person expensive ride in her grungy sweats wearing Crocs (they make a big deal about the right shoes and she shows up and rides in Crocs!) . She can't take a decent photo for her life. She went on and on about her leaving her boyfriend... and why she is in Kauai.....boring.... Finally, my horse threw a shoe at the 1/2 way point of the ride and not only did she not notice he was limping - which I had to point out to her, but she did not swap horses with me or walk him back. Then instead of saying "I'm sorry the equipment failed" she just want a tip. She ended with please don't post anything but positives on trip advisor - - NOT!

Visited August 2013
6 Thank MMMMM90274
ainapono, Owner at Esprit De Corps Riding Academy, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Aloha
The guide made a number of mistakes that we do not condone and your concerns have been resolved.
Another rider on the same ride wrote:
“I was very impressed with the quality of your horses and equipment, small group approach and matching of rider to horse. Having ridden my own horses for many years I am always a little wary of "trail rides". You offer a quality experience. I guess people come with varying expectations.”
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

The horses looked healthy and well cared for and were, safe and sound. The trail was a bit boring and the leader was pleasant but spent a lot of time talking about things not relevant to the Kauai experience, including trying to sell us on an ATV tour with her other job. Pretty expensive for what it is and then they make it very clear that they are looking for a big tip.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank MichaelG2
ainapono, Owner at Esprit De Corps Riding Academy, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Aloha
Thank you for the feedback. The guide has been instructed to talk about horses and plant life, not about other activities on the island unless asked. As many restaurants are doing on their bill, we indicate a recommended tip to make the calculation easier. We appreciate tips and are clear tipping is NOT required.
Honolulu
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery but not "fast"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I agree with some of the other reviewers that the Fast Half ride was disappointing. I had booked it specifically because I wanted to trot and canter, and I was able to do these for only a short stretch. The views were gorgeous though, and Bethany was a very personable guide, and I appreciated the fact that we went out even though I was the only rider. However, it was not what I expected, and not all that different from other trail rides I have been on. When I booked the ride, I fully expected to want to go on another ride during the week we were on Kauai. Needless to say, I did not go on a second ride.

1 Thank MochiHonolulu
Fairfax, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous Horseback Riding Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic trail ride with Esprit De Corps Riding Academy on our honeymoon last week. I am an experienced rider and my husband is a beginner, so we did the shorter Taste of Kauai ride and it was fabulous! We both had a great time. Our guide was wonderful -- she did a great job instructing my husband, gave us an awesome short history lesson about the island and state, and was a blast to ride with. We saw some amazing views, got in some fun trotting, and even managed an awesome canter! The horses were all well taken care of and very well trained. The mountains and sea views over Kapaa were spectacular. We're so glad we picked Esprit De Corps rather than one of the more touristy riding outfits. I highly recommend Esprit De Corps Riding Academy for a great trail ride in Kauai.

1 Thank Lynn A