“Never had a problem at this friendly place, loved the pools and the suites.”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed April 25, 2007

After reading a few of the reviews, it is obvious to me that some people have had widely different experiences at this very friendly hotel, that has always displayed nothing but the best in ALOHA!.

We stayed at Plantation Hale in early April for a week, and were there the same time that one guest complained about moss in the hot tubs. I don't know where she was looking, but we used the pools and hot tubs every day, and NEVER experienced anything like she describes.

Wondering where all these differences come from, we can advise Trip Advisor travellers some good advice, which may explain some of these variances.

I have found out from the staff there, after staying there numerous times over the past 5 years, that the hotel is a condo hotel, like so many in the islands and that each unit is individually owned. The majority are rented out through the Best Western system, but some are privately rented, through realtors, or through owners themselves. If it is a private rental, they have to provide their own housekeeping, not through the hotel, who could not change her sheets, or give more pillows, explaining her problems which may explain the miscommunication and the loss of her daughter's blanket. I suspect the front desk would be trying to contact the outside housekeepers on her behalf which would also explain the delay.

We always book through Best Western, or directly to the hotel through their toll-free direct line, and never have a problem with the unit, or housekeeping or anything. If you want to take a risk like this and perhaps think you are getting a better deal, remember the hotel brands spend lots of money, time and effort inspecting properties, and ensuring standards are met. But in condo hotels, they only insist on these standards for units rented through their system. Private rentals do not have to comply, and there is a reason for them being private, like the units may not measure up. Book direct, you will be happier.

As far as traffic goes, it is hard to escape it anywhere on the island as there is only one road around the island, which passes many top resorts in addition to this one.

When we travel, we enjoy ourselves, and leave the complaining at home.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KauaiVagabonds

Reviewed April 7, 2007

Yuck, yuck & yuck! Where to begin! Just returned from there last night. Although the island is beautiful & the location is great, everything else was terrible! Where to begin... First, when we tried to get 2 extra pillows, it took 2 1/2 days & SIX trips/ calls to the front desk! Their reason being "There was a serious pillow shortage!" Mind you, we were asking for TWO pillows, NOT 22! Second, housekeeping "accidentially" mixed my daughters special security blanket in with the laundry! (The front desk told me this happens all the time and they would TRY to find it, because they do all their own laundry!) Well, needless to say, the blanket (that was handmade by her great grandma the blanket she cuddles with EVERY night) was NEVER found! And we stayed there 7 nights! No apologies, no compassion, even when my daughter stood crying at the front desk! There were several nights that the sheets were not changed at all, despite requesting they be changed... AND even though we stayed on an upper floor room, there was more than one night we were greeted by large cockroaches in our room the size of mice! I do understand this is the tropics and do appreciate the bugs in nature, but DO NOT appreciate being visited by them in the middle of the night! The hot tub was completly full of green moss and was totally unusable! The noise of the highway was unbearable~ sirens, racing cars, honking horns, continued all night! By the end of the vacation, my children were asking to go home! They didn't even want to stay until check out time on our final day! We LOVE Kauia, loved the central location of Kapaa, but will NEVER be back to this hotel! We were truly dissapointed!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank msemce
Reviewed April 3, 2007

Had an excellent time . We read a bad review on trip advisor
so I printed it out and gave it to the desk people when we arrived
and they imeadiatly sprang into action , they gave us the room we wanted with no hassle , and we in turn had a wonderful time
the room was clean , quiet and comfortable. only one bug in the tub but what do you expect for a humid place. I would stay there again , great value for the budget minded.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dezyote
Reviewed March 28, 2007

We stayed at this resort also in March from 3-1 thru 3-8 and found it to be very nice.
The unit we had was in the "K" building and it was owned by a private party and leased out thru a local agent.
Our room was neat and clean when we arrived.

We enjoyed the pools, jacuzzis and picnic areas.
We never felt unsecure at any time even coming in late at night.
The staff was very polite and we had a computer to use at the front lobby no charge for that..
We had the ocean behind our unit and just a short walk down to it.

We too were on the ground floor but never heard any strange noise at night,as we do in most hotels/ motels when we go out for the night we leave the TV turned on (low) a few lamps, close the drapes and hang out the 'Do not disturb" sign on the door.

I know this may waste a bit of energy but on the other hand no one in their right mind would mess with what or who might be in that room.

Speaking of in the room our bed was softer and much better than we sleep in at home could have been due to the private owner, we felt right at home as the room had every thing we needed a toaster oven, micro,can opener , silverware of all kind,never lacked for any item.

If you (like us) have never visited Kauai.... watch out for all the wild roaming chickens and roosters. They are just like the goats and cows in Jamaica around every turn in the road. LOL

I will close with it's close to the airport ,many fine shops and places to purchase food and drinks and nice eating places.
We enjoyed our stay.
PS the date on the photos is wrong, my error.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank DocDon
Reviewed March 18, 2007

This hotel has several buildings each with seperate units in each of them which are desined as suites with a kitchen\ living room area, a bedroom and bathroom. There are several suites in each unit some on a ground level and others on an upper level each unit has it's own lanai. I checked into J1 and found a very unpleasant, stale, mouldy, unclean smell and asked to move to another unit which the staff was very willing and happy to do. I then moved to J3. It still had a bit of an odor, but I could live with it. I spent most of the day exploring the island and returned to the hotel around dark, after purchasing an air freshner at a local grocery store. I had been in the living area planning my events of the next day and thought that I would move the air freshner to the bedroom as well as open up the patio door (leaving the screen door closed) in order to freshen up the bedroom before I went to bed. After turning off the lights in the living area and heading in to the bed room, much to my complete horror there was a man standing in the room. He had jumped over the lanai wall, and broken into my room and was in the process of rummaging through my things. My gut wrenching scream starled him and he ran out. I immediatley called the front desk and asked them to call the police. They sent "security" (a lady with a spot light and a jacket which read security) over and called me back with the number for the police. The police arrived some time better, while "security" waited with me. I discovered that my watch had been stolen, and the robber had been in the process of dismantelling the lamp in the bedroom to either use it as a weapon or to disable it so it wouldn't work for me. Needless to say I was scared to death and although the staff did offer to move me to a different unit closer to the office and on an upper floor, I didn't feel at all safe staying there and decided to move. After several attempts to contact the manager and subsequently the insurance company for the hotel, I was told that they wold not reimburse me for my additional hotel cost nor would they cover me for the replacement of the watch. They said that if one of the employees of the hotel had broken into my room and stole my watch then they would cover me. I have since contacted Best Western International and they said there was nothing that they would or could do. So I felt an obligation to let future travellers know of how 1. unsafe this hotel is and 2.how they are severly lacking in constomer service and security and 3.they could do a better job of cleaning their hotel suites. I would think very hard about staying at this location. It is clearly not safe and certainly does not treat it's guest very well. I will say that the Kauai Aloha Visitor's Society was most helpful.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
14  Thank OntarioCanada-7
Reviewed February 24, 2007

Good hotel. Nothing special or romantic but clean and spacious rooms for a reasonable price. Centraly located if you want one base for exploring the whole island.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Elmer&Lizette
Reviewed February 15, 2007

We stayed at the Plantation Hale a few weeks ago. Check-in went smoothly, but after we arrived in the room, it looked like Housekeeping had missed a few things. Furthermore, the bathtub did not drain. The staff was responsive to our requests to address the problems, but housekeeping remained a little spotty throughout the week. The location is great - near many activities, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. The concierge was helpful to have on site. If you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay, consider this. If you want a place that's "nicer than home" and/or plan to spend much time at the hotel - you may want to consider somewhere else.

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank UsaTraveler907
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#7 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!