“You get what you paid for....”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Calgary, Alberta
“You get what you paid for....”
Reviewed December 7, 2008

My advice is if you can afford to pay a little bit extra and stay at a nicer place please do so. But if you are on a budget, this place is a definitely bargain but you get what you paid for. The rooms are dated but well equipped – the kitchenette had everything you need to be able to make tea, coffee, breakfast and meals. Full size fridge, older stove with an oven (no trays though). They even provide the dish soap. We had to re-wash the utensils because we found them to be not very clean. The room also has a separate bedroom with not very comfortable beds – too hard. The hotel is located across from not a swimming beach. We had to find a beach nearby to swim and it was inconvenient. We also drove around the area and found some very nice hotels where we’d stay next time if we decide to come back. We really liked Marriott Hotel in Lihue. The grounds and the hotel itself were spectacular! Next to the Marriott Hotel we found the best restaurant on the island – Duke’s and a wonderful beach. I am sure it is more expensive but I’d rather pay more than stay in an average accommodations place. Even expensive hotels have great deals; you just need to find them. Cockroaches also seem to be a problem there. My husband saw a live cockroach in the bathroom and that thing was the size of a horse – huge! After he told me about it I was paranoid about seeing more of them. Luckily there were no more encounters.

• Liked — good price, laundry facility
  • Disliked — no swimming beach, dated rooms, roaches, uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Ramsey, Minnesota
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We selected the Plantation Hale when booking our package thru Northwest Airlines. I had read all the reviews, both good and bad. I e-mailed them before arrival to see if we could have an oceanview room as I was worried about getting one of the rooms near the highway. They said we were not by the highway and had a gardenview room. Oceanview was available for $20 more a night. Since we were on a budget for this trip we passed it up. Our room was in bldg H and the end of our balcony faced the ocean! We were very happy. The ocean is across an empty field but it was still a nice view. (Only a 5 minute walk) Our room was very nice, set up like a one BR apt. We used the furnished kitchen to save some money by eating in part of the trip. They even provided paper towels, salt & pepper and dish detergent. If you are trying to save money by eating some meals in pack what groceries you can (Cold cereal, snacks etc). Groceries were very expensive here compared to what we pay at home. Don't shop at the grocery stores near the hotel. We found better prices at Walmart and Big Save.The hotel is older but the rooms are very nice. The kitchen and bathroom areas have ceramic tile, rooms are nicely painted and decorated and there is a nice big TV in both the living room and BR. We loved the location being in Kapa'a and being next to the Coconut Marketplace. We used the laundry room which was at the end of our building near the highway. It is very noisy on that side but we never noticed it when in our unit. The grounds were very nice and any contact we had with the front desk was pleasant. We loved our stay in Kauai and would definately stay at the Plantation Hale if we are ever lucky enough to return!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, kitchen, 2 tv's
  • Disliked — The speed bumps in the road!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
rohnert park, ca
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The location was great. Beach right in front. Room size was great...big kitchen, livingroom, bathroom and bedroom. Having a Lanai was wonderful but weather was warm but overcast. There was a nice Pool and a Coconut Market right across. Not selling Coconuts, but it's a little mall. Activity desk to sign up was great.

Kuaui is beautiful and very relaxing and full of water sports. I'd go back again but would not stay at this hotel. For anyone who doesn't know the Coconut Market....it's an awesome little mall with a Bar called Tradewinds which has the best Mai Tai's. If you want real Hawaiian food go to Ohana Diner in Kapa'a right across from Chevron.

The only complaints were:
Cockaroaches
Housekeeping didn't vaccum or change sheets

• Liked — Location and size of room
  • Disliked — Cockaroaches
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
thousand oaks, ca
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Please take your time to look Elsewhere. We arrived with a room that had a curious smell/odor. The staff attempted to help. However the following day, we learned that maid service mentioned the problem to the hotel manager prior to our arrival. It seems the hotel knew of problem and placed myself and family in a room with air problems. I called before arriving and stressed the importance of a non-smoking room due to my daughter's asthma/allergies. Their attempt to resolve the problem was to open our windows (without telling us) and turning on an air purifier. Needless to say it was a long week in the room. We also had dead roaches at the inside of our door the next morning. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I have visited Kaui many times in the past and this was my first and last time at the Best Western in Kaui.

• Liked — New Pools
  • Disliked — Lack of Clean Rooms, Dirty Laundry Area, Bugs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
toronto
Reviewed October 10, 2008

The BW Plantation Hale was a good hotel, but really didn't suit our needs. We wanted something more upbeat and with alot more people around, this place wasnt a good stop for us! It was our fault for not doing enough research.

The staff were very friendly, the rooms were very nice and very spacious. Free parking and free internet was great!!

Kauai was one of the stops on our honeymoon! I guess I didn't do enough research bc, although it is a great island, it was very quiet and laid back.

• Liked — the pool and the spacious room
  • Disliked — too quiet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travellingdani
long beach ca
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Prior to my trip, I did a TON of research reading reviews because I wanted to find an affordable BUT CLEAN place. Almost all the reviews I read were pretty positive so I paid 130 a night (including tax) to spend 5 nights at this hotel. I was highly, highly disappointed !! I was completely shocked that so many people actually said they liked this place. I felt so mislead by all those great reviews I read.

The first room we stayed in- H15, it smelled old school (but turning the a/c on helped). The countertops , the oven, and stove was old school. There was no dishwasher so I was disappointed. After all , this is a vacation. I didn't want to wash dishes. There was a full kitchen but it's all cheap stuff which was fine. I'm not super picky and I wanted to save money so all this was tolerable. But what made me really want to go to another hotel was while I was sitting in bed, a bug crawled down my arm. I was so freaked out my boyfriend took it elsewhere to kill it. After he smashed it, he said he couldn't tell if it was a cockroach but it was the same color and it had wings. That happened our first night there so needless to say , I had a VERY hard time falling asleep. " My god, I have to sleep here another 4 nights ?!" I usually make the best of things but I cannot tolerate roaches!! Still, I tried to deal with it. But the next day, I find another small roach in the bathtub. That was finally it. I asked to switch to another room. Front desk advised us they spray for "bugs" once a month which tells me they definitely have a roach problem at this hotel.

The second room was F9. This room was a tiny bit nicer but there was still an old school smell . The countertops were newer and the frig was bit newer but same old school oven and stove. This hotel definitely needs to be refurnished/recarpeted to get rid of that smell entirely. Within the next four days, I encountered two more roaches, a small one which seem to be dying when I found it (they probably just did bug spray before we came) and one baby roach.
We're not the type to start problems so we dealt with it and tried
enjoying our vacation but in the back of my mind I felt really disgusted the whole time I was there . Luckily we had big ziploc bags so I made sure everything we had was sealed tightly to avoid any unpleasant surprises in our food. And every time I cooked, I threw out our garbage bag. Anytime I used any pots, pans, utensils, I rinsed it off. The second room was not as adequately supplied with knives like the first room. We had only one good knife which we would share to eat our steaks. And the bbq grill which was close to our room was not working well so we had to walk to another bbq grill to cook .
Again I am complete shock that people gave such positive reviews...

Sadly I was actually glad to pack up and go home when our trip
ended. We enjoyed Kauai but the stay at this hotel dampered our trip a bit.
As I said , we're the type to make the most of things but I had
to make sure I wrote a review to warn others about this place.
If I knew, I would've payed a bit more to stay elsewhere .....
Good luck!

• Liked — only good thing was free internet
  • Disliked — we didn't enjoy sharing our room with uninvited guests-baby cockroaches....
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lovinlife2007
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2008

stayed here for 4 nights at about $144 per night including tax. 4 of us in our 20s. one bedroom with kitchen ( i think all the rooms feature the same amenities) we stayed on the ground floor, convenient because i don't think there was an elevator. would stay here again if we're in kapa'a the hotel is convenient for the area able to get to princeville/hanalei in about 3o minutes as well as po'ipu and waimea canyon. kind of iocated at a middle point on kuhio hwy (major rd on kauai). clean enough rooms. staff at the front desk was friendly, but when we asked the activities concierge to recommend a good swimming beach (since the beach nearest to the hotel is not for swimming) she recommended the baby beach a bit north of the hotel, found out when we drove there and weren't short drive to foodland for groceries and several bars/restuarnts. located right next to the coconut marketplace, lots of food and souvenir shopping available, just beware things close earlier at the marketplace (we were coming from waikiki where everything's open late) and on sundays many of the shops and restaurants/fast food places are closed (we arrived on sunday and were a bit disappointed walking around the marketplace and nothing was really open) not an expert on shave ice but we really loved the ice at the fish hut and for regular food we loved harley's bbq, lappert's ice cream and tc's island grill were satisfying. anyone from ny/nj beware of aloha pizza. i've had not so great pizza in the south and midwest before but our whole group agreed it was THE worst pizza we'd ever had. just an opinion :) free access to internet via ethernet in the room, wi-fi near the front desk only. access to pool and hot tub, we went to the hot tub almost every night to relax. grill and patio area available to bbq. washer/dryer available but not for free. parking is free but when we checked in the girl forgot to give us a parking permit and the second day we received a written warning saying our car would be towed without a visible permit. overall a decent experience.

• Liked — room was adequate. free parking and internet, pool and hot tub access. location was good
  • Disliked — washer/dryer not free, no swimming beach ( we were aware of this when we booked but it defintely would be more convenient if you could swim right there) , the activities concierge
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!