My husband and I just arrived yesterday afternoon to the beautiful island of Kauai. I am born and raised in Honolulu and visit "home" quite often. We return to Oahu, of course, but I love visiting the outer islands for a true vacation (staying on Oahu is not relaxing for us as we have family obligations, as wonderful as that is, we need to just get away by ourselves every so often).
So, a trip to Kauai! I haven't been here since junior high school many moons ago. My husband has never been to this island. When an airfare sale last June popped up, I booked our flights. Now, where to stay? We take our accomodations very seriously. Where we stay is not just a place to sleep, I consider it a major part of my whole vacation experience. I like a very nice place to stay.
Coincidinkly, a promo for Plantation Hale came to my emailbox shortly thereafter. Of course I immediately turned to my fav Tripadvisor for research. Not beachfront, but that was ok with us as I knew we would have a car. Location coupled with the hotel's amenities (kitchen is such a plus for us as we like to cook bfasts and I get tired of eating out all the time) made me buy the deal, deluxe room, 5 nights and a car. Good value I thought. After buying the voucher, I called the hotel and made my reservation. I requested a 2nd floor room ocean view if possible. My main concern is quiet and I read here that the rooms facing the street were noisy with traffic and the ones facing the ocean were quieter and breezier. After that, we just waited for the next 5 months to pass.
Fast forward to yesterday.. we found the hotel just fine, only about 10 mins drive from the airport. Cute open lobby concept. We had to wait about 10 mins for the front desk to check us in as she just answered the phone. No problem. Checked us in, easy peasy, very pleasant. Went to our room. 2nd floor no elevator, a bit cumbersome but we managed. Entered room. A little stuffy but opened the patio door. Suite was very nice. Remodeled, kitchen cabinets not replaced but painted over fine, granite, new furniture, very nice. Walked into bedroom. Whoa! 2 dbl beds, not a single king. Honey, don't start unpacking yet, need to change rooms. I called the front desk and explained that we wanted a king, not 2 dbls. i was placed on hold long enough for the message tree repeated twice. I was told that there were no kings available. Long story short, I was told that I didn't request a king at booking. Hmm. Considering I called in my reservation and I was never asked king or dbl at booking (I know I would have requested a king), and the hotel had 5 months to contact me if they had a question.... I checked my email confirmation and no where is type of room listed...., and upon check-in the front desk KNEW we were a married couple, just the 2 of us, and she still sent us to a room with 2 beds without first asking us. We were informed that there were garden and pool view king rooms avail but when we walked over to that side of the property, the traffic noise was very loud, and I avoid rooms near the pool for the same noise reason.
We are definately not difficult customers. We work hard and look forward to our vacations which includes our accomodations. It is not like I booked this last minute. 5 months ago, had I been asked at time of booking what room type we wanted (I'm sure an oversight but should be addressed by management and included in their checkoff list), and more importantly, had the front desk confirmed the room type BEFORE we schelped our luggage up a flight of stairs, I wouldn't be so disappointed and annoyed.
Fastforward to now.. after a shower, dinner and a cocktail, we settled in. While not a perfect start to our stay, I think Plantation Hale so far is a very nice place. I'll do a follow up review at the end of our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Plantation Hale Suites is located in the heart of Kauai on the scenic Royal Coconut Coast and steps away from Waipouli Beach. Enjoy spacious one bedroom suite accommodations (738 sq ft) with the finest amenities such as full kitchens and private lanais. Suites sleep up to six people. High speed Wi Fi,Flat Screen LCD TV's with Cable (60 preimum channels)Blu-Ray DVD, Movie library,350 DVD's. Planation Hale has three outdoor pools,(4)picnic and BBQ areas, whirlpool spas, Shuffle Board. The resort offers several restaurants, full Concierge and Activities Desk, mini market, ATM, and a SPA. Located nearby, Golf, Tennis, Horseback Riding, Wailua River and Kayaking,Opaeka'a Falls, Waimea Canyon, Hiking Trails. Kauai's best location and value. great for a romantic getaway, or a family vacation. Our dedicated staff welcomes you with the true Aloha spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Plantation Hale Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Hale Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Kapaa Best Western
- Plantation Hale Suites Kauai/Kapaa