“Great Location, Quiet and Comfortable”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Gold Coast Hinterland, Australia
“Great Location, Quiet and Comfortable”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our 1 bedroom suite had a lovely outlook across an open grassed area to the ocean, so consequently had very nice breezes from the tradewinds - despite the warm June weather we fortunately had no need of the airconditioning during our stay.

Yes, as others say in their reviews the location of the Plantation Hale Suites is perfect, being exactly at the halfway point between the northern and southern attractions of the island and handy to the airport, but set back from the main road. Nearby is a large Foodland complex and there are some very good restaurants - particularly the excellent one at the Kauai Resort almost opposite the resort (book in advance at least two days) and the 'Lemongrass' just down the road. Check-in was efficient, informative and friendly, as was the tour desk.

That said, our suite was clean and comfortable but basic - no spas, dishwashers or other fancy gadgetry and only shared washing machines - none in the suites. Air- conditioners were noisy as they were of an older style and were possibly as old as the building. The buildings are old but have had new tiling and benchtops, floorcoverings etc but older taps (stiff to use) stove and power/light switches. The soft furnishings were moderately new and were of a good quality. The gardens were well maintained and the ambience of the resort was relaxing and pleasant.

Other suites we stayed in on other islands were completely renovated top to bottom - this was not the case for our suite - but I cannot comment on all the suites in the complex - judging from other comments on this site, perhaps some are totally re-vamped.

For overseas visitors such as us, who 'island hop' and have shorter stays of 3-4 days in each location it would be useful to have small size restaurant style butter pats, honey or peanut butter spreads, fresh milk (we hate powdered coffee whiteners) teabags, small supplies of liquid dishwashing detergent and other such items available for a small fee, as these items were not available in small container sizes in the supermarket and it meant a huge wastage of these items when we left the island.

Also it could be useful to have split refuse bins in the kitchens, so that recyclable containers and paper/packaging can be separated from food waste, rather than all end up in one bag going to landfill.

This was our favourite island, but we were so busy we didn't have time to sample the pool or other facilities at this resort, however we relished a quiet drink on the spacious balcony at the end of our busy days.

Room Tip: The east facing building, top floor, end of the building location gave us good cross-flow ventilatio...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bronzview
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Aloha bronzview.
Thank you for the kind words. I am so pleased you enjoyed our location and resort. The Hukilau is a great restaurant, and your recommendation for reservations is spot on. They book up very fast. Many guests enjoy the ambience of the gardens and their lanai for an evening cocktail. I do apologize and must check with our housekeeping staff since there is supposed to be supply of dishwashing soap in the suite. We must have dropped the ball. I think the extra recycable bin is a terrific idea. We are adding a second recyclable trash area however it would be so easy to put a container in the suite. Based on your suggestion we are going to do so. We so appreciate your feedback and your business. Aloha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Plantation Hale was a pleasant surprise. We had a Newly remodeled Suite which faced the Ocean. There is a field in front that separates Plantation Hale from the Ocean. This was fine with us. From the time we arrived, Staff was awesome. There are 3 pools with hot tubs on complex. The General Manager (John D.) talked with us, which made the stay more enjoyable. Giving us Ideas on where to visit on the Island . Also suggested great restaurants to go to. The Front office has a concierge service that can save you money on Activities. A Perfect location to access both North and South shores of the Island without a long drive. We will definitely stay here again when visiting Kauai! Well done Plantation Hale! :O)

Room Tip: Our room was in the C section. It looked like the odd numbered rooms in the building faced the ocean...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mikeleemi
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed June 8, 2013

What an absolutely fantastic place to stay for my first trip to Kauai, Hawaii. (That last part is also fun to say out loud.)

Located about 10-15 minutes from the airport, this place was remarkably easy to find, and the entire staff is wonderfully kind and helpful. The rooms have very comfortable beds, a nice kitchen (with bar and stools), tons of closet space, views of the coast, large patios/balconies, and more amenities than your average hotel...probably because their rooms are more like private villas. I mean, seriously! They even have blenders for your, um, virgin smoothies or whatever else. Oh, and if you need to send a fax or mail postcards, the front desk can handle that, too. Definitely worth every penny, and I couldn't imagine a better stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Bryan D
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Aloha Bryan D.
I sincerely thank you for the very kind words. We do have a nice comfortable property however it is the staff that makes it run. I am extremely lucky to have the team that I do. We very much appreciate your business and high recommendation. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Mahalo.
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Plantation Hale in Kapaa is the perfect location! It's central location makes it easy to drive North or South to explore plus you have the added bonus of the Coconut Market Place being right there and you can get some yummy food at T.C.'s or some good BBQ at the Hawaiian BBQ place, Shaved Ice, or a rocking good breakfast at Eggbbert's is also nice and why I keep staying in Kapaa every time I visit Kauai. The Coconut Market Place now has a farmers market on certain days which is awesome!

The GM & staff are so welcoming and make you feel right at home. (Mahalo to John .D. & Noe). The beautifully remodeled suite with an ocean view (J14) was PERFECT!
A large lanai for enjoying the view of the waves was such a nice thing to have early morning and late evening along with the yummy Kauai Coffee they provided each day. A short stroll down to the beach via the walking path was perfect too.

If you want to have a good time, stay in a great place with helpful, friendly staff then Plantation Hale is a no brainer.

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe Suite with a view (it's worth it!)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Trish H
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Aloha Trish H.
Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay with us. I too like suite J-14 also, good location on the property. One of our best selling features is our central location in the heart of Kauai. Sounds as if you hit some of the great little eateries in the Market Place. Good news! The Coconut Market Place now has new owners and they have some exciting changes planned. The Farmers Market continues to be very popular with many of our guests. I appreciate the shout out to Noe and I will be sure to share it with her. So happy we made you feel the Aloha spirit and at home with us. The Kauai Coffee is yummy. I see you do visit often. Please feel free to contact me personally for your next visit. Mahalo for your business. Aloha.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were lucky enough to get an extra day for vacation, but were already booked at our time-share in Princeville - they couldn't accommodate us for the extra night. I booked the night at Plantation Hale and asked for a late check out. The price was so reasonable, I booked two extra nights so we didn't have to check out at 3 p.m. could relax up to the time we needed to fly out which wasn't until 10 p.m. !

The front desk personnel and the activities desk guy were super! I always prefer staying in condos as opposed to a hotel because if we want to eat at home we can cook. The thing I have found in Hawaii is that condos are stocked with pretty decent equipment - not the cheapo dollar store junk that you find in condos on the mainland!

The grounds are beautiful and a quick walk across a field to the beach was an easy walk. It's close to Coconut Market Place and other shopping areas. When we checked in, the activities desk handed us a free gift, and many discount or freebee coupon for area merchants and a discount members card for the local super market - how awesome is that!? Too bad we didn't have enough time to use all of them!

The property isn't as new as some on the Island - but the management keep it well maintained and you just can't beat the price. I've stayed in tiny hotel rooms that cost way more than this one bedroom, full bath, with living room, full kitchen, and Lanai, condo!

If I have to pick a downer for this property - it would be the odor of something rotten when we first arrived. A quick check of the kitchen pinpointed the problem with the garbage disposal. I stuck the sink plug in to keep the smell contained and when we went to Puka Dog in Poipu, I kept the lemons from our lemonade and fed them to the disposal upon our return to the unit. A quick fix for something easily undetected by cleaning personnel. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay and will make Plantation Hale our choice when staying on Kauai.

Room Tip: The property is right on the highway - but we weren't bothered by traffic noise. Any room is f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JeanNeal8845
Aloha JeanNeal8845.
Wow!!!! I am so pleased you had a great stay and described so well why so many of our guests love Plantation Hale and continue to return. Your review just made my day. I feel we achieved our goal of exceeding expectations. Our staff is so terrific and I thank you for acknowledging them. I will most definitely share your comments. I love the lemon suggestion. Mahalo for your business. We hope you will visit our beautiful island again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I found Plantation Hale the perfect place for hospitality and welcoming spirit. I had to quickly depart the living arrangements on my trip to Kauai due to a falling out with my travel companion. Plantation Hale was accommodating, inviting and empathetic to my situation. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The suite was centrally located to everywhere I wanted to visit. It was neat and clean and had everything I needed to complete my stay in the beautiful Garden Isle. Short walk to the beach and the pool was refreshing as well. It was a very pleasant stay and will return when I have the chance. For a visit that started out rocky in another location Plantation Hale made up for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Janet Y
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Aloha Janet Y.
I am so pleased you had a nice stay at our resort. Thank you for the great comments. I will share them with our team. Aloha.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at Plantation Hale Suites. The interior was beautiful and the location on the island was perfect. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We felt the aloha spirit. I highly recommend the hotel!

2 Thank Lauren C
Aloha Lauren C.
So nice to hear you felt the Aloha spirit. That is always our goal. Thank you for your review and recommendation....Aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!