“We love Plantation Hale”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Los Angeles, California
“We love Plantation Hale”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We just stayed at Plantation Hale and found it to be a terrific bargain and loved the location. I did call the desk and complained about the party discussed in a previous review, and we commend management and security for stopping a very unruly group. I do not think children should be encouraged to drink. This was the only sour note of our stay, and it was quickly handled. We found security to be very nice, and visible. Other than the party our seven night stay was very enjoyable. The suites have kitchens which are great however be sure hit the fish market and grill, which was really a nice touch. We also got to know, Priscilla, Patti, and Alicia. They were so nice and helpful. The DVD selection is huge, and current.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rossabout
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Aloha Rossabout. Thank you so much for the nice comments and the shout out to Alicia, Patti, and Priscilla. We have really a wonderful staff, and it is always a treat to see them acknowledged. The choice of seafood on Kauai is abundant. Fresh from the ocean to the grill is a real treat. It sounds like you had a couple of movie nights, with so many movies filmed on Kauai, we try to keep our DVD library current. Mahalo for your business. We look forward to seeing you again soon on our beautiful island. Aloha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Wailua, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am a resident of Kauai & have rented at Plantation Hale before & NEVER had a problem. I just rented a room from 10/4-10/6/12 for my son's 16th birthday. He wanted to have a cook-out & swim. On 10/4 (the birthday) a few of our friends came to the room & we had our get-together. We were all in the pool & jaccuzzi, with 2 other couples staying at the hotel, & a couple of my friends had a few beers in the pool area. We didn't realize that you couldn't have alcohol in the pool area, but I accept responsibility for not reading the rules. A security officer, whose name I found out is Michelle, came into the pool area & rudely asked us to remove the drinks. We gave her no issues, no attitude - we got rid of the drinks. As the guest at the property, I apologized profusely for having the drinks there. She then said, "I don't want to be mean, but if I come back & you have drinks again, you'll lose your pool privileges." I told her ok, apologized AGAIN, & tried to assure her that there would be no more issues. Well, about a 1/2 hour later, we all got out of the pool to sing "Happy Birthday" to my son, at our room, which was directly across the pool entrance. Out of NOWHERE, Michelle pops up & locks the pool with a padlock. I asked her why, & she said "the manager told me to", with a smile on her face & no other word. I had to tell her 3 times that there were slippers in the area that probably belonged to my guests before she would let me back in to get them. My mother, in the meantime, called the front desk & asked what time the pool closed. She was told by Alice "10pm". So my mother asked why security was locking the pool now, and Alice had no clue. I was upset, so I went to the front desk to talk to Alice myself. I asked if there had been any complaints about noise or anything & she told me NO. I asked why security had padlocked the pool gate & she acted as if she didn't know anything. I went back to my room & called Alice to ask who the manager on duty was. I was told there was no manager, so I asked who she would call in case of an emergency on property & she said, "my immediate supervisor, Patty". I asked her to call Patty because I wanted to speak to a manager about the situation. Alice then tells me, "Well, Patty just left the property to go home & she won't answer her phone." Alice then told me that we could walk to the next pool, but I had specifically asked for a room close to a pool because I'm recovering from 4 compression fractures in my back & am not able to walk very far. So, basically, our celebration was rudely interrupted & ended. On 10/5, I spoke with Priscilla, (who was awesome, by the way). I told her what had happened & she spoke to the manager to see what the situation was. According to what the Manager told her, Michelle (security) had called him & asked about the alcohol in the pool area & he told her that if she finds alcohol, it's her choice to lock up the pool. He didn't "tell" her to lock it, like Michelle told us. He also stated that there was 3 noise complaints about our room, which is also funny, because in all the times I've rented rooms, or been at friends/family's rooms, if there's ever been a noise complaint, the front desk has ALWAYS called the room to ask you to quiet down. I NEVER received a phone call about complaints, Alice told me there had been NO complaints, and security never told us there was complaints or to quiet down, even though she walked pass my room another 5 or 6 times in an hour. Bottom line is this...the security offier, Michelle was on some kind of power trip. Why would you say, "if it happens again, you'll lose your privileges," then go talk to the manager, and come back & lock us out? If there were complaints, why did absolutely no one tell us about it? Like I previously said, I take responsibility for having the drinks in the pool, but why act the way she did? And why is there absolutely NO manager available for guests to talk to at night? When the manager heard from Priscilla that we were questioning what had happened, why didn't he make himself available to speak to us? This security officer was on a power trip & management couldn't have cared less about how a GUEST was being treated. I'd love to speak to the manager and find out why we were treated like crap & why it was ALLOWED. If the manager at Plantation Hale reads this and would like to talk, feel free to call me! I was in room C7 from 10/4-10/6. As of right now, I don't plan on renting from Plantation Hale again, and I can tell you that my friends won't be staying there anymore either, unless this situation is corrected. It's really sad that this person was allowed to ruin my son's 16th birthday...Thank you so much! The only good thing about our stay was Priscilla & Noe at the front desk - they were wonderful! As for "security" - watch out for the security guard on a power trip - she tells you one thing, does another, and blames it on the manager! As for the manager -- what manager??? Is there a manager at Plantation Hale????

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JPV93
Pomona, California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We book this place every time in lieu of somewhere fancy. We like the location which is right between North and South side and ease of access. There is plenty of shopping and restaurant choices nearby so its a handy place to stay. Staff is friendly and accommodating, they forgot to clean our room the first day and at first asked us to walk down and get fresh towels. The ultimately had someone bring them and that person checked in with us the next day to make sure all was ok. These are a little dated but clean so ok. Pools are handy and nice and clean. Nice short walk to the beach which we tried to do most mornings to watch the sunrise. I am sure we
Will return again in another year or two and hope to see the upgrades. New beds would be great, We could see work was going on in one of the units while we were here.

2 Thank Dana N
Aloha Dana N. Thank you for being such a loyal customer. I do apologize we missed cleaning your suite one day however I am pleased our team responded and followed up with you. The new suites are nice. Please let me know personally when you are returning. Thank you for your feedback, and your business.Aloha.
Vancouver Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We had a great time in Kauai and Plantation Hale was the right spot for us. Nothing fancy but close to the beach and a good central location. The room was clean and the grounds were a delight. The front desk staff always had a smile to greet you even after a double shift (Priscilla). If you are looking for a 5 star resort with hand maidens fawning all over you then its not the place for you. If you want a clean resort close to everything with a great price, then this is the place.

2 Thank Threeputtlewy
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Two adults, three kids stayed 12 days there and it was excellent! Nice, clean, spacious rooms, pool was great, very kind and helpful staff, perfect location to explore island, ... what else you need? Small market with restaurants is in walking distance, shops as well. We all enjoyed our stay a lot, would go to this place next time again, can really recomend.

Room Tip: book room with sea view, bit more expensive, but worth to do so!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaroslav B
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I remember you and the family, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. You are right, the scenic views are great. I must also tell you I am a huge fan of Prague. Have visited a couple of times, wow, what a great city. Thank you for your business, I hope we will see you again soon.
BC, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Priscilla was fantastic, very friendly and accommodating! Coconut Marketplace is right across the street, with Lapparet's icecream (a must try) Beach is right across the street via a path thru an open park. Under two miles to the center of Kapaa. Rooms are adequate but a bit dated, very spacious. Pools were great!

2 Thank Canukgurl
Aloha Canukgurl. Thank you for sharing your comments with our friends on Tripadvisor. I shared your shout-out to Priscilla with her today, she also thanks you. We are just at the end of renovation and will have 60 new suites shortly. Please let me know when you return, I will make sure you are reserved in one of them. Mahalo for your business...Aloha.
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location! Easy walk to the Coconut Marketplace and good restaurants in the area. Staff was pleasant and professional. Tori, our Housekeeper, took good care of us and a special thanks to Priscilla, who was able to flex our accommodations when our airline changed the dates of our flights. The discount(s) that Plantation Hale offered for local activities made planning our days easy. Having laundry facilities was especially nice since we could travel with just one carry-on bag each. Being able to store and reheat our doggie bags in the kitchen was another cost-savings. Beautiful pools too. We would not stay anywhere else on Kauai! Mahalo nui loa Plantation Hale!

1 Thank Rocket R
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Mahalo Rocker R for being such a loyal customer. We very much appreciate your business. I have shared your comments with Tori and Priscilla, they were thrilled. It was so nice of you to acknowledge both of them, and our staff. I am glad we were able to take care of your change of dates. We certainly look forward to seeing you again soon. Aloha.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!