“my favorite budget hotel on Kauai =)”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Berkeley, California
“my favorite budget hotel on Kauai =)”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is a great value for the money. It is nice having a kitchen while traveling. This allows us to eat healthier (food from the grocery store) and saves money on restaurant visits.

The location is central. Only a block from the grocery store or the beach.

I have been a loyal customer every year since I discovered Hawaii in 2008. Rates are usually about $100 per night. Recently the rates doubled, but you can find the old rates sometimes when rooms go on sale.

Also a "resort fee" was recently added this year for stuff that used to be free (parking, internet, etc.).

Even though there are changes, this is still my favorite budget hotel on Kauai.

Room Tip: The second floor is nice because you avoid the sound of people walking above you. One side faces th...
2 Thank J C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Roseville, California, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you are looking for a reasonably priced stay in a great location this is it! If your trip is more about luxury it is not. The hotel is located walking distance to the ocean with beautiful views. Shopping and groceries are close by. The room is set up with a full kitchen and everything you need for an active vacation. Dishes and utensils were old and the overall the location is worn. Don't be surprised if you see a local critter walking up the wall. It was not frequent but we did feel the need to stash our food in the microwave and fridge.

Staff members were well above average over other locations we stayed in Kauai. The hotel staff members at the desk were prompt and extremely friendly.

Room Tip: They tried to give us two full size beds which wasn't going to work on our 2nd honeymoon / 25th...
1 Thank Barb P
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Aloha Barb P. Thank you for taking to post feedback from your recent stay with us. I will share your comments with our staff, I agree they are very friendly and welcoming. I do remember when you checked in, we are actually converting 12 suites to King beds during this renovation. I am glad you were taken care of and moved to a King, especially for your anniversary. Thank you for your business, I hope we will see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our recent trip to Hawaii left us without a room for the first 2 days until our condo was available, so we price searched travel websites. Plantation Hale had good reviews, the price fit our budget, and it was close to our next check-in. The hotel staff was very gracious, moving our party to a bigger suite when we told them an unexpected guest traveled with us. The property is beautiful, a short walk to the Islands's edge to watch the sunrise over the ocean, not blocked by buildings. Our suite had a nice kitchenette, and though we hardly used it, I did think it quite serviceable for a longer stay without too much fussing. Wi-fi is available, although I had to re-enter the password every time I tried to access. The AC in my unit was in the bedroom only, the living room with our kids pull-out queen bed was noticeably warmer. There are many pools, and nice, large towels provided. It is a 2 story complex; there is no elevator, so traveling with older persons or heavy baggage might give trouble. I found the overall experience very satisfying, and would not hesitate to stay there again: the price was reasonable, and I felt it money not wasted.

Room Tip: I'd prefer the second floor, the Island's chicken infestation makes for noisy mornings!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sean D
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed at the Plantation in July 2012. Friendly staffs and great location to go either North or South of the island. Lihue and the Airport is about 15 - 20 minutes away. You need a car to visit in the island. Convenient shopping at Coconut Market and two great supermarkets down the road - IGA and Safeway. At IGA the cashier gave us the membership discount price by registering your home phone number or use the card provided by the hotel. There is also Farmers Market where you can buy fresh produce at Coconut Market Parking Lot or Kauai Community College. There is a path to go to the beach. If you enjoy quite a quite beach this the is place to be - beach, waves and you.

The hotel room. Everything is quite old. We have room service daily. The screen door to the lanai needs a good wash and some fixing. It does not slide properly. The bathroom tub is old, has to replaced as it is not stable when you step in. Overall the living area is clean. With some improvements it will be a notch a better place. The stove is the most antique I ever seen. But it works fine. If you need anything else, just ask the the friendly person at the reception. If your room is facing the highway it can be noisy as cars zipped by until late at night or early morning. Overall I will go back, this time facing the parking lot and an upper floor suite.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank DOC431
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good Budget location, but needs updating

We needed a day between condo stays while on the island and Plantation Hale seemed like the perfect spot. The location is great and the price is excellent. For the money it was a good property.

The property grounds are well maintained. The staff at the office area was friendly and helpful. At check-in we were assigned a ground floor queen room, even though we had requested, in an email and a telephone follow-up, an upper floor king room. The correct type of room was eventually found and we were happy with the location. There was a nice view of the ocean from the lanai.

The units are in need of updating. The bathroom glass shower doors are out of date and the kitchen is definitely due for a complete make over. Even though it is a bit older, I was impressed with how well the stove worked, but there was no dishwasher.

I was disappointed with some areas of housekeeping. In particular we noticed the dust and dirt on the louvered windows and the dust on the air purifier above the television. With just a bit of work, the rating would be much better.

Overall, for the money, this is a good spot for a night or two in a convenient location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Prius909
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Aloha Prius909. Thank you for your nice comments from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed both our location, and the staff. I apologize for the confusion on your suite type request however I am glad we were able to resolve the issue. We have a number of suites off line since we are renovating. We are currently painting and installing new carpet, we expect the furniture in shortly. You will be pleased to know the scope of work includes replacing the shower doors. By the end of the year we will have 60 brand new units. I will most definitely share your feedback with my housekeeping department to insure we are inspecting suites more closely. Thank you so much for your business, I hope we will see you again soon.
ANN ARBOR
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a nine night stay at Plantation Hale . The staff on site was excellent ! The location was perfect for us. We did not want a resort atmosphere and spend litte time in our suite. BUT... Our Suite C-13 was clean yet really worn...the kitchen was basic and the dishes etc. not so good. Wifi did not support i-pads needed to use ethernet able device for consistant internet contact. The staff tried to help but they could do little. We paid extra for an upgrade and that got us upstairs the first unit off the main parking lot, over looking the pool one hedge away from the highway.{not worth the money}. We did not use the beach down the path from the property. The Plantation used to be a Best Western listing..It would be my guess Best Western severed the relationship. Late check out is a $50.00 fee to leave at 3pm not 12 noon. If mananagement does not do something soon the majority of their guests will be contractors doing extended stays while doing road work on Kauai. Pete Warburton

Room Tip: do not pay for upgrade
4 Thank PETER W
Arlington
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Plantation Hale Suites was terrific! Clean, quiet (didn't even hear the chickens in the morning), friendly staff, reasonable size kitchen fully stocked with pots & pans, and air conditioning. A nice pool and a hot tub. I highly recommend this home-away-from-home for anyone who is willing to do their own cooking (which we did). If you want to pay a lot of money with no ammenities, then stay at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Our accomdations had a bedroom with 2 beds, and a livingroom with a fold out couch. I used the couc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JanArlington
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!