“Great Stay”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I tacked on a few extra days in Kauai to a planned trip in Oahu and elected to stay at teh Plantation Hale because of it's central location and package deal where they included a rental car with the hotel reservation. The stay, hotel, rental car was next to perfect.
I had never been to Kauai before, and staying Kapaa worked out great. It's probably a 45 minute drive to the NaPali coast and maybe an hour to Waimea canyon. There is no great beach in immediate area, for me that wasn't a huge deal, though it may be for some. Kapaa itself is adorable, just behind Princeville/Hanalei in the cuteness factor, but with a ton more dining options.
Plantation Hale would be great for families on a budget, as each suite has a fully outfitted kitchen large living room that opens up to a lanai, large bedroom with 2 double beds. Way more space than I needed, but it was great. Free wireless too, which is key. My room was clean and well kempt. I would come back here to stay without question.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Strigs8
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Aloha Strigs8. Thank you so much, we are so pleased you had a wonderful stay with us especially since it was your first visit to Kauai. I have shared your comments with our team. Our new Suite and Car package has become quite popular. I agree we have some great restaurant choices in the area. I do hope you tried the Hukilau Lanai across the walk from us, it is wonderful. I am a former mid-westerner myself. I was born and raised in Michigan. I love Wisconsin, spent many vacations there. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Have a Safe and Happy Memorial Day week. Mahalo for your business.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

This place is great. The suites feel more like condos than hotel rooms. It is a beautiful setting and my room had amazing ocean views. The staff was super friendly and attentive to my many needs. It's in close proximity to great food, shopping and tons of outdoor activities. If you're looking for a great hike, I'd suggest Sleeping Giant. It's amazing and super close to the hotel.The price was perfect and I couldn't really ask for anything more from a hotel. Already making plans to go back in June. 2 thumbs up for sure!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Craig024
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here for our honeymoon a short while back. the hotel is really not anything special, think of it as an upscale motel with condo style rooms, but it's pretty "homey". has a couple of small pools and internet kiosk near the front desk. they were doing some outdoor renevations at the time I don't remember what that was about, but the place probably looks nicer on the outside than it did at the time. the nearby shopping center is convenient to walk around and get a bite to eat, buy a t shirt, get some ice cream or shave ice, or pop in for a drink. There is an upscale bar/restaurant across the street in the Beachboy hotel if you want something upmarket that's close.

Honestly, though we didn't feel like the room was anything special (typical 3.5 star) it's nice to have a full kitchen and fridge. I think our room wasn't super clean when we got there, we either requested additional maid service or switched rooms but I can't recall. But overall it was pretty good. At the end of the day, the location for us was completely ideal. Though Kauai isn't considered that large compared to some of the other islands, this hotel is pretty much dead center along the main road, so everything you might want to get to is a reasonable driving distance within an hour or less.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bri719
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

A good friend recommended Plantation Hale but being stubborn I looked for other deals. After gasping at prices and advertised deals at other hotels that didn't exist, we broke down and called Plantation Hale. Patti was so friendly and the price fantastic we booked immediately. Great choice! Condo for a bargain motel price! It's an older place but clean, staff is wonderful and a great location. We will be back! My wife and I felt at home amount friends. Almost want to give a bad review because we want it to be our little secret! Plantation Hale will be our only home away from home on Kauai! We even left Patti a bottle of wine in appreciation, and she mailed us a thank you card! You don't get that personal touch from many anymore. Love you guys!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank zaphod92065
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2012

Aloha zaphod92065. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Plantation Hale and I do thank you for taking the time to recognize Patti, and our staff. We truly have a team that goes the extra mile to make our guests feel at home. Later this year over 60 of our suites will get a brand new look with a million dollar renovation. The new look is very nice. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon. Mahalo for your comments, and your business.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I recently returned from a one week stay on Kauai, and have to tell you, I was very impressed with Plantation Hale Suites. The staff were terrific, the accommodations were spacious, clean and offered a full kitchen, a clock radio with an IPOD dock (great to have), flat screen tv, Blu-Ray player (and a full library of free movies at the front desk), free WiFi throughout the property, numerous BBQ facilities throughout the property, three pool to chose from and two very nice hot tub spas for those evening soaks, after long days exploring this beautiful island. We were lucky with a full week of sun, though we also enjoyed a couple of quick tropical showers that seemed to come out of nowhere, and just as quickly disappear.

I can't wait until my next trip, and to be sure, will book directly with the hotel again to ensure I get the best possible deal.

Room Tip: At check-in, I was able to get a Foodland grocery card, so that I was able to get the cheaper price...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank KauaiVagabonds
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I just returned from a one week visit to Kauai. It was my 15 year old daughter’s spring break, and I took her and a friend to the Island. We ended up booking two rooms at the Plantation Hale Suites. The accommodations were beyond expectation-- ocean views, well equipped rooms with nice flat screen TV’s and full kitchens, three pools, event concierge services and walking distance to historic Kapaa. The property was very well maintained, the staff was nice and informative and the other hotel guests were very friendly. However, the best features of this hotel are its reasonable rates and its location (just 5 miles north of Lihue Airport). This location made the island very accessible, with easy trips to both the north and south shores.

While the hotel did not have full accommodations, everything we could have imagined was within convenient walking distance. I especially benefited from the local grocery store and the full kitchens in the unit-- I stocked the kids’ refrigerator on day one and they cleaned it out by week’s end.

Overall the experience was great and the value of the hotel and full kitchens gave my wallet a break. I already booked my winter stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Paul A
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was our third stay at the Plantation Hale. For just under $100 we had two full beds, a sofa bed and a full kitchen. The appliances are almost vintage but they all work. This is not a luxury suite, but perfect for our family of five that were on the road most of the week. We ate dinner in the suite every night and saved even more. I recommend this for families with small children (ours are 5, 7 and 9) who want to save their money for sightseeing. The staff is also very helpful and will get you any kitchen or bathroom items you need. Three pools were also great for the kids.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Steven H
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2012

Aloha Steven H. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and Mahalo for being such a loyal guest. I will share your comments with our team...We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.Thank you for your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!