“Like a horror movie...”
Review of Kauai Kailani

Kauai Kailani
Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Too terrible to describe. The hotel itself was off of some dirt road and under construction! Cancel your reservation! It could ruin Hawaii for you. Fortunately, we were only there for one night and checked into our timeshare the next day. Think of your worst slasher movie and that's it -- furniture that's 50 years old, NO phone, cinder block walls, drapes pinned together.i was shocked. Tried to get our money back and couldn't get my calls returned. Cancel, Cancel, Cancel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank KathyAloha2013

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had a good experience with Castle Resorts on Maui so tried the Kaui property - a bit of a shock!
The bargain price should have been the clue. Half of the place was under renovation. The buildings are old but adequate, nice pool and great location, close to beach, shopping and dining and central for excursions to both the north and south parts of the island. No phones in the rooms, everyone expected to bring a cell phone. Also the windows were not very secure and easy to break in but considering the cllientele and neighborhood I was not too worried. Good for the budget minded.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the extra cost for oceanfront.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gd454
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This construction site should not even be renting to anyone!!! The "resort" is in the process of remodeling everything, and only a few units are evewn open. THEY SHOULD NOT BE OPEN, AND SHOULD CLOSE DOWN. STAY AWAY! Luckily, we only we at this place for one night inbetween timeshares.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SAS2224
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After going to Kauai Kailani for many years, we just returned and you cannot imagine our disappointment. I don't know how Castle can even call this a resort. There is construction everywhere. You get to spend your vacation days listening to equipment, hammering, demolition and your nights listening to construction workers (who by the way are staying in the rooms guests are not permitted in) fight, party and drink. Oh boy, just my idea of a paradise get-away.

The housekeeping and front office staff are as good as they have ever been but the manager...let's just say that he doesn't belong on a garbage truck let alone managing in the hospitality industry.

You can count on your reservation not being honored. You can count on the fact you will not get the room(s) you requested and the manager will be completely non-apologetic about it. He doesn't care if you stay or not. He has no clue that a reservation is a contract for services of which, during our two week stay, he was consistently in breach of contract with everyone we talked with trying to stay there.

They had guests show up with confirmed reservations and he had no rooms for them. Can you imagine arriving for your vacation and having no where to stay??? I guess we should be thankful they found a room for us, even though it was not the room we requested, reserved and paid for.

I will never return here or to any Castle Resort, since their choice of managers is indicative of their hospitality industry standards...and they are far short of any where I've ever stayed. A Motel 6 has a better concept of their business than these guys do.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Diana H
CastleKonaBaliKai, General Manager at Kauai Kailani, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Aloha,
I would like to apologize for you not enjoying your stay with us and for the inconveniences of the renovation work going on.
I am sorry but I do not remember talking with you but we have had problems accommodating people due to the renovation. Those that we were not able to get a room for here were put in one of our sister properties. We have let arriving guests know that if they do not wish to stay at Kauai Kailani we will try to secure rooms for them else where. I would imagine that I did tell you that there was a change in ownership and the new owners are renovating the property.
I have not heard of any of the construction workers having parties on site and have brought this up to the construction company.
Once again I do apologize for your not enjoying your stay and I hope you might consider staying with us in the renovated property next year.
Mahalo

Reviewed January 19, 2013

In May I booked 8 nights at this place for Jan 2013. It was taken over by Castle resorts some time in the last 7 or so months. It is a huge construction site..the view from our lanai was the complete remodel of the other units including their lanais in the complex. Our "ocean view" was of construction and orange plastic fencing. There was also heavy equipment out by the pool..that we NEVER used. Go figure. We stayed the 2 nights that I had pre-paid. When I told the registration staff we were checking out they were sympathetic. I had to go back in another day to talk to the manager Larry Mayo. When I asked for a credit or partial refund all he said was he would "consider" it. I knew that was code for "not happening". He claimed it wasn't his fault, he didn't have our money, and that I should be "happy" he let me check out early. He was the rudest condo/hotel manager I have ever experienced in 10+ visits to the islands. He did not even apologize. If he treats guests that way how does he treat employees.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank JewelM

Aloha,
I am sorry that the construction put a damper on your vacation. I realize that most people do not travel thousands of miles to to see a construction zone. I do remember talking with you and I did point out that we have not received the deposit you paid the old owners. I have not forgotten this but we have still not recieved the deposit money.
I truly do not mean to come across as rude and only tried to explain situation at that time.
Mahalo

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Kailani apartments (Castle Kauai Kailani). We arrived in this Kailani apartments property with disappointment. The place is not a resort and does not belong to paradise. It is a construction site. When we faced the manager at Mokihana main reception (different building), he was unpolite and should be kept only in the back office. The housekeeping left our door at least 3 times unlocked. We were lucky that nothing was missing. Also there was a mouse in the room. When we asked to spend time at the main building's pool area, they denied to do so, Kailani's own pool area was small, dirty and in the middle of noisy construction work and it would have been great to spend some time at Mokihana pool as there was no beach but only a shore.. But no. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Jyri
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Most important is to know how to get checked in. No office here. Must check in at Mokihana (hotel containing Bull Shed restaurant) and before 9 pm. 808-822-3971. We arrived at about 7 pm after a delayed flight and had no idea how to check in as the "rooms" are really small apartments at Kauai Kailani. Again, there is no office here!! The phone number for the Castle Kauai Kailani just said they were closed. Once we got checked in, the place was great. There is reconstruction going on in 1/2 the complex so we had it mostly to ourselves! Pool, rec room w/pingpong, BBQs, sits right on the ocean--all good. Great sleeping to sounds of ocean waves. Our place #215 almost at end so good ocean view out of front and back. Clean with daily maid service--an unexpected bonus. Equipped with microwave, coffee maker, refrig/freezer. Funny thing was "flat screen TV" -- yes, it's a flat screen but about the same size as my laptop. Cable was nice for times we were in. Location is central to North and South coasts. Much to do in Kapa'a itself including kayaking, biking, hiking Sleeping Giant, shopping, eating--very convenient. Walking distance to alost everything needed. Overall, great value. Just be sure you know to check in at Mokihana!! We were not the only ones lost.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank abbychia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Plantation Hale Suites
Mokihana
Mokihana
#10 of 15 in Kapaa

Been to Kauai Kailani? Share your experiences!