“Disaster Area!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Sarasota
“Disaster Area!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This construction site should not even be renting to anyone!!! The "resort" is in the process of remodeling everything, and only a few units are evewn open. THEY SHOULD NOT BE OPEN, AND SHOULD CLOSE DOWN. STAY AWAY! Luckily, we only we at this place for one night inbetween timeshares.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SAS2224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gresham, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

After going to Kauai Kailani for many years, we just returned and you cannot imagine our disappointment. I don't know how Castle can even call this a resort. There is construction everywhere. You get to spend your vacation days listening to equipment, hammering, demolition and your nights listening to construction workers (who by the way are staying in the rooms guests are not permitted in) fight, party and drink. Oh boy, just my idea of a paradise get-away.

The housekeeping and front office staff are as good as they have ever been but the manager...let's just say that he doesn't belong on a garbage truck let alone managing in the hospitality industry.

You can count on your reservation not being honored. You can count on the fact you will not get the room(s) you requested and the manager will be completely non-apologetic about it. He doesn't care if you stay or not. He has no clue that a reservation is a contract for services of which, during our two week stay, he was consistently in breach of contract with everyone we talked with trying to stay there.

They had guests show up with confirmed reservations and he had no rooms for them. Can you imagine arriving for your vacation and having no where to stay??? I guess we should be thankful they found a room for us, even though it was not the room we requested, reserved and paid for.

I will never return here or to any Castle Resort, since their choice of managers is indicative of their hospitality industry standards...and they are far short of any where I've ever stayed. A Motel 6 has a better concept of their business than these guys do.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Diana H
CastleKonaBaliKai, General Manager at Kauai Kailani, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Aloha,
I would like to apologize for you not enjoying your stay with us and for the inconveniences of the renovation work going on.
I am sorry but I do not remember talking with you but we have had problems accommodating people due to the renovation. Those that we were not able to get a room for here were put in one of our sister properties. We have let arriving guests know that if they do not wish to stay at Kauai Kailani we will try to secure rooms for them else where. I would imagine that I did tell you that there was a change in ownership and the new owners are renovating the property.
I have not heard of any of the construction workers having parties on site and have brought this up to the construction company.
Once again I do apologize for your not enjoying your stay and I hope you might consider staying with us in the renovated property next year.
Mahalo

Travelers are raving about these Kapaa hotels

Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

In May I booked 8 nights at this place for Jan 2013. It was taken over by Castle resorts some time in the last 7 or so months. It is a huge construction site..the view from our lanai was the complete remodel of the other units including their lanais in the complex. Our "ocean view" was of construction and orange plastic fencing. There was also heavy equipment out by the pool..that we NEVER used. Go figure. We stayed the 2 nights that I had pre-paid. When I told the registration staff we were checking out they were sympathetic. I had to go back in another day to talk to the manager Larry Mayo. When I asked for a credit or partial refund all he said was he would "consider" it. I knew that was code for "not happening". He claimed it wasn't his fault, he didn't have our money, and that I should be "happy" he let me check out early. He was the rudest condo/hotel manager I have ever experienced in 10+ visits to the islands. He did not even apologize. If he treats guests that way how does he treat employees.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JewelM
Aloha,
I am sorry that the construction put a damper on your vacation. I realize that most people do not travel thousands of miles to to see a construction zone. I do remember talking with you and I did point out that we have not received the deposit you paid the old owners. I have not forgotten this but we have still not recieved the deposit money.
I truly do not mean to come across as rude and only tried to explain situation at that time.
Mahalo
Kauhava, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Kailani apartments (Castle Kauai Kailani). We arrived in this Kailani apartments property with disappointment. The place is not a resort and does not belong to paradise. It is a construction site. When we faced the manager at Mokihana main reception (different building), he was unpolite and should be kept only in the back office. The housekeeping left our door at least 3 times unlocked. We were lucky that nothing was missing. Also there was a mouse in the room. When we asked to spend time at the main building's pool area, they denied to do so, Kailani's own pool area was small, dirty and in the middle of noisy construction work and it would have been great to spend some time at Mokihana pool as there was no beach but only a shore.. But no. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Jyri
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Most important is to know how to get checked in. No office here. Must check in at Mokihana (hotel containing Bull Shed restaurant) and before 9 pm. 808-822-3971. We arrived at about 7 pm after a delayed flight and had no idea how to check in as the "rooms" are really small apartments at Kauai Kailani. Again, there is no office here!! The phone number for the Castle Kauai Kailani just said they were closed. Once we got checked in, the place was great. There is reconstruction going on in 1/2 the complex so we had it mostly to ourselves! Pool, rec room w/pingpong, BBQs, sits right on the ocean--all good. Great sleeping to sounds of ocean waves. Our place #215 almost at end so good ocean view out of front and back. Clean with daily maid service--an unexpected bonus. Equipped with microwave, coffee maker, refrig/freezer. Funny thing was "flat screen TV" -- yes, it's a flat screen but about the same size as my laptop. Cable was nice for times we were in. Location is central to North and South coasts. Much to do in Kapa'a itself including kayaking, biking, hiking Sleeping Giant, shopping, eating--very convenient. Walking distance to alost everything needed. Overall, great value. Just be sure you know to check in at Mokihana!! We were not the only ones lost.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abbychia
Mansfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

For the price, location it is hard to beat. True, they are doing construction but it was quiet over Thanksgiving holiday. In fact, it is a VERY quiet place. Had a monk seal come ashore and wasn't that a treat! Housekeeping was attentive and very good. You check in at the office at one location, but look for the little brown "Kauai Kailani Apartments" sign just up the road and there you are. If we go again, we would stay there.

Room Tip: No a/c but the windward breeze was nice. Definitely worth the oceanfront/ocean view upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This property is being renovated, so you are vacacationing at a construction site! The beach access is curtailed by this construction. Although we booked several months in advance, we were not notified about current conditions. On a positive note - the maid service was excellent. This is a value property that offers comfortable but not posh accommodations plus a good location.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank SKKelley3368
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#6 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Kauai Kailani? Share your experiences!