“Terrible is too high a rating. Bad experience, rude manager”
Review of Kauai Kailani

Kauai Kailani
Ranked #8 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Oregon
“Terrible is too high a rating. Bad experience, rude manager”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In May I booked 8 nights at this place for Jan 2013. It was taken over by Castle resorts some time in the last 7 or so months. It is a huge construction site..the view from our lanai was the complete remodel of the other units including their lanais in the complex. Our "ocean view" was of construction and orange plastic fencing. There was also heavy equipment out by the pool..that we NEVER used. Go figure. We stayed the 2 nights that I had pre-paid. When I told the registration staff we were checking out they were sympathetic. I had to go back in another day to talk to the manager Larry Mayo. When I asked for a credit or partial refund all he said was he would "consider" it. I knew that was code for "not happening". He claimed it wasn't his fault, he didn't have our money, and that I should be "happy" he let me check out early. He was the rudest condo/hotel manager I have ever experienced in 10+ visits to the islands. He did not even apologize. If he treats guests that way how does he treat employees.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JewelM
CastleKonaBaliKai, General Manager at Kauai Kailani, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Aloha,
I am sorry that the construction put a damper on your vacation. I realize that most people do not travel thousands of miles to to see a construction zone. I do remember talking with you and I did point out that we have not received the deposit you paid the old owners. I have not forgotten this but we have still not recieved the deposit money.
I truly do not mean to come across as rude and only tried to explain situation at that time.
Mahalo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kauhava, Finland
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Kailani apartments (Castle Kauai Kailani). We arrived in this Kailani apartments property with disappointment. The place is not a resort and does not belong to paradise. It is a construction site. When we faced the manager at Mokihana main reception (different building), he was unpolite and should be kept only in the back office. The housekeeping left our door at least 3 times unlocked. We were lucky that nothing was missing. Also there was a mouse in the room. When we asked to spend time at the main building's pool area, they denied to do so, Kailani's own pool area was small, dirty and in the middle of noisy construction work and it would have been great to spend some time at Mokihana pool as there was no beach but only a shore.. But no. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Jyri

Travelers are raving about these Kapaa hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Most important is to know how to get checked in. No office here. Must check in at Mokihana (hotel containing Bull Shed restaurant) and before 9 pm. 808-822-3971. We arrived at about 7 pm after a delayed flight and had no idea how to check in as the "rooms" are really small apartments at Kauai Kailani. Again, there is no office here!! The phone number for the Castle Kauai Kailani just said they were closed. Once we got checked in, the place was great. There is reconstruction going on in 1/2 the complex so we had it mostly to ourselves! Pool, rec room w/pingpong, BBQs, sits right on the ocean--all good. Great sleeping to sounds of ocean waves. Our place #215 almost at end so good ocean view out of front and back. Clean with daily maid service--an unexpected bonus. Equipped with microwave, coffee maker, refrig/freezer. Funny thing was "flat screen TV" -- yes, it's a flat screen but about the same size as my laptop. Cable was nice for times we were in. Location is central to North and South coasts. Much to do in Kapa'a itself including kayaking, biking, hiking Sleeping Giant, shopping, eating--very convenient. Walking distance to alost everything needed. Overall, great value. Just be sure you know to check in at Mokihana!! We were not the only ones lost.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abbychia
Mansfield, Missouri
Reviewed November 29, 2012

For the price, location it is hard to beat. True, they are doing construction but it was quiet over Thanksgiving holiday. In fact, it is a VERY quiet place. Had a monk seal come ashore and wasn't that a treat! Housekeeping was attentive and very good. You check in at the office at one location, but look for the little brown "Kauai Kailani Apartments" sign just up the road and there you are. If we go again, we would stay there.

Room Tip: No a/c but the windward breeze was nice. Definitely worth the oceanfront/ocean view upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This property is being renovated, so you are vacacationing at a construction site! The beach access is curtailed by this construction. Although we booked several months in advance, we were not notified about current conditions. On a positive note - the maid service was excellent. This is a value property that offers comfortable but not posh accommodations plus a good location.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank SKKelley3368
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed August 21, 2012

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about the Kauai Kailani. I went for 11 days and stayed here the entire time with my son. All the comforts of home and then some can be found here. Each room has either a balcony or lanai, with a double bed & 2 twins. I put the twins together for a bigger bed. It is literally steps from the beach; however, there's also a pool for those who don't want to get sandy or salty. The private piece of beach is beautiful and peaceful; however, don't plan on being able to walk very far out into the water. It's rocky and slippery but we had water shoes and it was fine. The pool is always warm, and you can swim morning & night. The TVs are X-Box compatible, which was a plus for me when I went shopping (my son didn't want to go on all of my shopping trips!). There was a gecko in my room, but we didn't mind! Very convenient having full kitchen. Laundry is right on 1st floor. No phones, but didn't need one (cell phones work fine). WiFi did go in and out...sometimes it was out for hours at a time, but we were in paradise, so who cares? May not be good for business travel because of this, though. Shopping across the street includes grocery stores (go to FoodLand instead of Safeway!), Starbucks, L&L BBQ, etc. Pizza place nearby is AWESOME! Bike rentals very close by, and worth it! The tradewinds are the best...just open your windows and feel it come through. the best part? Falling asleep to the waves crashing right outside your door. Kids can play in the TV/Game room (ping pong, board games, etc) and there are books you can borrow during your stay. BBQ grill is near the TV room. If you're looking for comfort, convenience and reasonable pricing -- this is what you're looking for!! The place has JUST been sold, so I'm PRAYING that the new owners keep to the same management practices. I wouldn't want to see anything change, because I totally intend to come back. Kapaa is very close to anything you'd want to do: snorkeling, shopping, zip lining, hiking, etc. Visit Hanalei up north for one of the best beaches on the island. Spas and yoga are right across the street as well. A short 5-min drive north takes you downtown, where the cutest shops and restaurants are found. Trust me when I say you will fall in love with this place.

Room Tip: ANY room is a good room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Brenda G
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have been coming back to Kauai Kailani 1 for 4 years in a row now and I love it! When they say steps away from the beach, they mean it! It is a simple setup, clean and very well equipped kitchens (not kitchenettes). The price cannot be beat, even for non timeshare owners. The pool is always clean. The groundskeeper is not paid enough, he does a phenomenal job. I have yet to ever have a negative run in with any of the other guests or employees. Convenience is great; Safeway, Longs, ABC and a few places to eat are literally across the H56. Kapaa town is about 20 minute walk, or if you rent bikes, its about 8 minutes away. Coconut marketplace is about 10 minute bike ride as well. The trail runs along the ocean and starts about a block away. We don't spent a lot of time in our room, so we don't need ultra luxury or expensive amenities. It is a little older, but as a person who grew up here, its authentic and I have NEVER seen a cockaroach!!! We have stayed in three units on the ground floor and this past April, we stayed in 301, the best Kauai view ever. (Beach is 15 feet from the corner of the building).

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are closer to the ocean and higher floor numbers will have a view over the bush...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank wendyfb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Mokihana
Mokihana
#11 of 15 in Kapaa

Been to Kauai Kailani? Share your experiences!