“You would never expect the goodness!”

Waipouli Deli and Restaurant
Ranked #44 of 124 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Mont Clare
“You would never expect the goodness!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed nearby this restaurant, and one evening looking for a place to eat, we chose not to go here. But then the next day, we noticed it was packed, with mostly locals. So we gave it a try. My only disappointment is that we did not go that first night! This place is o good, we ended up going for the rest of our meals, breakfast and dinner. Don't let the dirty windows or the funny pictures of all the meals deter you, it really is delicious. The rice is excellent, served with almost everything.

• Visited August 2012

Visalia, California
“Tasty food, service lacking”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We happened upon the restaurant on our way to the grocery store. After checking reviews, we went for breakfast the following morning. We sat at our table while the one server on our side of the room totally ignored us and the other server finally took our order. I found it strange because everywhere else we ate, people assumed we were locals, we are Asian, and we received great service.
Our food was delivered lukewarm which isn't great when eggs are involved. My husband's fried rice was delicious and my fried corned beef patties covered in gravy were tasty. But overall, it was just an okay meal due to the service. We had to go up to the cashier and tell her what we ordered so that we could pay our *cash only* bill!

Visited June 2013
Kapolei, Hawaii
“My family(husb,mom-in-law,1 teen,1 tween and 9yo) ate here so this review is hearsay...”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family ate breakfast at this restaurant. They liked it. Not your fancy "resort" type. Very much the neighborhood drive-in eatery. I KNOW I DID NOT EAT HERE MYSELF--THIS IS NOT FAKE--my family loves to eat out so I trust their opinion.

• Visited May 2013
Texas
“Great find in a strip shopping center!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were hunting for a great lunch spot. After stopping at two resort chains and finding their restaurants weren't opening for another hour and a half, the concierge suggested this restaurant as being very local and having great prices.
We weren't disappointed.

Ok, the place isn't fancy. It's small. There isn't any ambiance. There are no fancy tables or silverware. BUT...the food is why you're here, isn't it?

Many choices and the servings are huge! Food was hot and most flavorful. Very local.
I got the Oriental Plate; shrimp tempura, BBQ steak, chicken cutlet and noodles in a great broth. WOW!

My wife got the Saiman special that was huge and oh so good!
No alcohol.

This place is a hidden gem. Very packed.

I'd go back.

Stay hungry my friends.
Until next review...

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank alienpilot
Tustin, California
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived in Kauai very early in the morning on a flight from Honolulu. My Yelp research found this place, and people have left good reviews. We thought we might get a good hearty breakfast here and set a good tone for the day. But that was not the case. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

The coffee was luke warm and was refilled only once the whole time we were there. The food was not warm enough either. The meat was way too dry. The scrambled eggs were rubbery.

After the plates were delivered, the server did not come back to check on us. Not even once. The servers sat at the back table chatting among themselves instead of checking on the customers. In our groggy state, we did not feel like going back there to the servers to try to get them to do their job and remedy some of these things. We finished what we could eat, and then went to the back to interrupt the servers' conversation so we could pay our bill and leave.

We paid the overpriced bill and left disappointed and sorry that we had come. Won't EVER make that mistake again.

To be perfectly honest, Costco in Lahui blew this place away with the best rotisserie chicken I have ever had for about six bucks for a big, plump chicken. While eating that great chicken we remembered how lame the Waipouli Deli was.

Sorry to be so negative, but the good reviews led us astray. We would have done better at McDonalds.

• Visited October 2012