“Wonderful Hiking Company”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful Hiking Company”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

For me, a tour company is only as good as the guide. Even if you go to the most beautiful trail in Kauai, if your guide is obnoxious, rude, or uninspiring, the the hike is ruined.

With KHC, Scott assigned Us Nectar, who is the coolest dude around. He is super laid back, and super informed as to the history of Hawai; the plant species along a trail; and hiking overall. He is super friendly with kids, and overall a nice person. He took us on a fun trail to two waterfalls, and spent a lot of time swinging on vines with my kids.

Scott runs a professional outfit...he outlined different trails that I could choose from based on the ages of my kids and our hiking experience. Got set up for a hike the next day. Thumbs up for Scott and his outfit.

Visited April 2013

Peoria, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Best Part of our Trip”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hiring a guide from Kauai Hiking Adventures was the best spent money on our entire trip to Kauai. I emailed Scott with an explanation of what hikes we thought we might like to do and Scott helped me plan them. Our guide Nectar was wonderful. If there is anywhere on the Hawaiian islands he has not been, he is probably planning a trip there. He was very knowledgeable about the terrain, plant life, trails, and culture on Kauai. He was also just fun to be with. We went on three hikes on three separate days. My husband is in terrific shape and backpacks in the Colorado mountains. I exercise, but also work at a desk all day. I am much slower. After a bit on the first hike, Nectar set a pace which was quite doable for me. I felt quite safe between him and my husband. Our first two hikes were on ridges on the Napali coast. We did not see another soul on the trails which was exactly what I wanted. On the day of the second hike, it rained all over the island except for the spot Nectar took us hiking where we had quite a bit of sun. The third hike was on a popular trail. It had rained and Nectar knew exactly where to watch our step.
There are some companies which book group hikes, but then you have to go at the group pace. Having a guide allowed me to go at my own pace and to places groups don’t go. Although there are trail maps, if you do not know an area it can be very dangerous hiking – assuming you can even find the trail. Nectar knew every inch of where we hiked and this allowed us to have incredible days out. I highly recommend Kauai Hiking Adventures for anyone wanting to explore Kauai by foot and see places most tourists will never go to.

Visited February 2013
SF Bay Area
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Excellent Over-The-Top Hiking Trip”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Summary: If you like to hike, Kauai Hiking Adventures is fabulous!

This is my second time hiring a guide from Kauai Hiking Adventures in two years. Last January, I was in need of a guide, since it was my first time here and my usual hiking buddy, my hubby, could not make the trip at the last minute. Though his family was here, no one wanted to hike the way we usually hike - long and hard. I'd already had a taste of hiking on my own on more populated trails, and decided that I'd enjoy spending my money on a hiking guide for a full day over a one-hour helicopter tour. Scott was responsive and wonderful to talk to, and though he was booked solid the time I was there, he set me up with one of his guides and chose a lovely hike for me, and Dave and I had a grand time in Waimea Canyon. We saw no one after the first couple of hours of the day!

This year, knowing my hubby was definitely going to make it this time, I contacted Scott and managed to get him as our guide for an "over-the-top" all day hiking adventure. Scott was tremendously responsive via email before the trip and gave clear useful gear advice. I was a bit nervous about finding tabi, but we did manage to find them at the Walmart (selection was a bit picked over). We found a better selection at Waipouli Variety in Kapa'a. They were only a few dollars more, but the service was excellent, the selection (two brands, Gumi and SeaSports) was excellent and we happily bought pairs that fit well. I also preferred patronizing a local shop.

I was as objective as I could be about our hiking ability and experience, and told Scott what we wanted to do. Knowing what I'd done last year helped him evaluate us, and he agreed to the hike we wanted to do. It was fabulous and every bit as hard as I'd expected it to be, but Scott was not only good about pre-trip evaluations, but also checking in on our physical and mental state as the day went on. At no point did Scott push us beyond our level, and yet he allowed us to push ourselves. He set clear expectations, and was quietly keeping an eye on our abilities early on to determine what really could be done that day. Happily, we were able to do the entire hike as planned, and though it did go a bit longer than originally expected, it wasn't longer than we were prepared for. It was a FABULOUS day.

Keep in mind my hubby and I are avid Sierra hikers/backpackers including a lot of cross-country - but mostly in alpine country. Kauai has very different terrain, and though much of it was familiar, there are subtleties in texture, slipperiness, terrain features, etc., so having an expert in this environment helped us have a very fulfilling day.

And if you do book with Kauai Hiking Adventures, or any guiding company, do try to be painfully honest with your capabilities - the good and bad. This way they can better ensure you have a day with as much challenge as you want without turning into a nasty epic. I was honest about being "slow but steady" (and a lot more detail) but wearing tabi ALL day as opposed to wearing my regular hiking shoes with good arch support... well, I was SLOWER than usual, but Scott had been calculating through the day, and we ended up with a successful hike!

I'll definitely be using Kauai Hiking Adventures in future trips!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank L1NK
Seattle, Washington
“Worth every penny--best experience of our trip!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I were interested in doing some hiking in Kauai and spent several hours researching different trails and reading reviews. Since it was January, and the whether was tricky, it was hard to figure out which ones were dangerous, too easy, too slippery, good or bad in the rain, etc. We were only able to make it a short trip and didn't want to lose a day having an unsuccessful hike, so we stumbled on Kauai Hiking Adventures website and read the reviews--it definitely sounded promising, but I wasn't sure if it made sense to pay for a hike--which you can normally do for free....well, this was definitely the BEST money we spent on the entire trip! And I will definitely be using them again to go hiking on the other islands when we are back.

I emailed and spoke to Scott on the phone--it was pretty last minute, but he was very friendly and was able to fit us in--payment was easy, we did it via credit card and I received a receipt online. Jeremy, our guide, met us at our hotel and took us for a drive towards the start of our hike--it was great getting to know him on the hike, learning about the island, and for him to get a sense of the type of hike we wanted. We didn't have a way to make a lunch at the hotel, so he took us to a local grocery store and we were able to pack ourselves a lunch, and he stopped anywhere that looked interesting to us along the way.

My husband and I are not "expert" hikers or anything, but we are in shape and were looking for a challenge--something that wasn't a well-marked popular touristy trail, but also something that wasn't so dangerous that it required extensive experience. Jeremy figured out the perfect day hike for us---instantly, we felt like we were hiking with a friend--it was so much more personal and fun than those typical "tour companies" or "hike companies." We only saw 2 people on our entire hike and that was towards the beginning....it was literally us and the beautiful NaPali Coast...the views were breathtaking, and there was just enough challenge that we felt sooo accomplished at the end. Jeremy was funny, easy to talk to, and was right there to hold our hand or tell us where to place our feet during tricky parts of the hike. It was comforting to know he had medical training just in case--but thankfully we didn't need it! :)

I would strongly recommend going on a hike with Jeremy if you are going to Kauai...it's the one thing I would do again, and I know it would be just as awesome, because every time you would get a customized and new hike. It's great for couples--we thought it might be weird for it to be us and a guide, but Jeremy treated us like a friend and we were just telling stories and joking and having a great time the whole day--it worked well--I think we might even do a small group next time with some friends--such a great way to get to know the island--and if you think of it, other tours and trips charge for trip/tour packages per person, and are completely generic--this was definitely an experience of a lifetime. I could go on an on, but that's all for now--this is a no-brainy and the best thing you'll choose to do on Kauai! I hear they are offering hikes on other islands too now--and we can't wait to go again! It doesn't matter if you are an avid hiker or have never hiked before--they will adjust to whatever you want--and will find a hike where you can enjoy the beauty of Kauai...without all the touristy-ness of a tour.

P.S. He also brought us local fruits to try (which were awesome), and a coconut that he cracked for us in our hotel parking lot (haha) after the hike, and we all enjoyed--super fun and thoughtful! :)

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent hike with great guide”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked a half-day hike. Dealing with Scott was easy -- I emailed him with dates and our skill levels and he responded right away with 3 different options that would work, and we picked one. He took us along a route where we saw NO other tourists -- only 1 local and a sea lion! It was great to do a hike where there weren't a thousand other tourists. Next time we are in Hawaii, we will be doing a full day hike with Scott.

Visited January 2013