“Great trip but what a workout!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kayak Adventures

Kayak Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$93.64*
and up
Guided Kayak Adventure on the Wailua River
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak Adventures has been established since 1996. We are an all inclusive quality, guided tour company. I am blessed as an owner to have such great guides and employees. We have become a true ohana (family)over the years. Safety is our #1 priority along with exceptional customer service and an unforgettable experience with your guide. Chris & Thomas have been guiding since 2004, Davey & Andy since 2008, Kahi & Christian since 2010, Matt & Jeremy since 2014. We welcome our new guides: Ryan, Austin, Scott & Nathan. I have an amazing team which also includes our customer service department. When contacting us via phone or email, you will either speak with my niece, Brittany, Sheila, Elana or me. We will make you feel welcome when you visit our shop and check-in for your kayak tour. Aloha and hope to see you soon on Kauai! God Bless! Gayle Mitzel, owner. PLEASE BE ADVISED AT ANY TIME TRAIL CONDITIONS CAN CHANGE DUE TO EXCESS RAIN IN THE WAILUA VALLEY. GUESTS ARE EXPOSED TO STREAM CROSSINGS, STEPPING OVER ROOTS AND ROCKS ALONG THE TRAIL. TRAIL CONDITIONS CAN BE MUDDY AND SLIPPERY AFTER NIGHTS OF RAINFALL. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL US IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS BEFORE YOU BOOK YOUR TRIP DIRECTLY WITH US OR THROUGH YOUR CONCIERGE. PROPER FOOTWEAR IS A MUST! NO FLIP-FLOPS OR CROCS! SNEAKERS, HIKING SANDALS WORK BEST OR WATER SHOES. GUESTS MUST BE IN PHYSICAL CONDITION TO DO THIS TOUR ROUND TRIP: 4 MILES OF KAYAKING AND 2 MILES OF HIKING. WE WANT EVERYONE WHO GOES OUT WITH US TO HAVE A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE! MAHALO :)
Blind Bay, Canada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Great trip but what a workout!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I booked a trip with Kayak Adventures anticipating a leisurely paddle up the Wailua River and then a gentle walk through the jungle to a secret waterfall. We were picked up at Kapa'a and taken a five minute ride to the launch on the river. Everything was ready, the kayaks were there, the life jackets and the water proof bag. Paddle instruction given clearly by the guide and into the water. It was a two mile paddle and for my wife and I who had been in a kayak once before, it was hard work keeping up with the other eight kayaks. The ocean kayaks are a delight. They are open and the water sloshes in an around your ankles. two miles later we cam to a very narrow tributary which we paddled up until the steam was too shallow. Out of the kayaks and hoisting the waterproof bag we crossed the stream and climbed up the bank on the other side using the roots to get to the path. The hike is a mile through the Kauai jungle, over oots, through deep and slippery mud, over rocks until finally arrival at the "secret" falls. I guess it was a secret no longer for although beautiful to see with the pool at the bottom of the falls, there were fifty or more others who had also reached the falls and were splashing in the pool. We ate the sandwich provided and the delicious pineapple and after taking a turn in the pool we trudged back over the same path and back to the kayaks. Two tiring miles later we paddled ashore near the mouth of the Wailua River. If you are prepared for four miles of paddliong and two miles of hiking, then you will enjoy this trip.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Brienbut
KayakAdventuresKauai, Owner at Kayak Adventures, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Aloha Brienbut,
Super mahalos for your detailed review of our tour for Trip Advisor members to read!
Yes, be prepared for a workout! 4 miles paddling & 2 miles hiking round trip! Some guests find it easy while other find it strenuous depending on your individual level of personal activity.
When guests check-in @ our shop, we have liability waivers, dry bag back packs, life jackets, snacks & bottled water ready. Our guides make sure they have kayaks, paddles, seatbacks and lunches ready to go on their end. Our guides give their paddle/safety instruction & then all hop in the van & drive 1 mile to the marina to launch.
We take a maximum of 12 people per tour (6 double kayaks). We use the same ocean kayaks that they use to kayak the Napali Coast. Our guides try to keep all kayaks together unless they have experienced paddlers that like to go ahead. Our guides are very patient and like to hang back and help the less experienced guests to get their strokes down.
Once guests hit the trail head for the 1 mile hike, you will be exposed to stream crossings, roots, rocks & muddy/slippery trail conditions (depending on weather conditions/rainfall the night before). The final destination to Uluwehi Falls (or the "not-so-Secret Falls" lol as tourists like to joke when they see other groups besides theirs at the waterfall). I hope you agree that it is a beautiful sight to see after all that hard work! Guests have the option to take a refreshing dip in the pool, take pictures, talk story w/the guide and w/other guests and eat a hearty lunch.
Hope you were able to take advantage of soaking in a hot tub when you returned to your resort! :) :) :)
Mahalo again for your review :) :) :)
Gayle I. Mitzel, owner

San Francisco, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had a good experience with this tour wish it had lasted a little longer so we
Could see more
Large group made it hard to do this

Aloha sheryl r,
Glad to hear you had a good experience with our company. We wish our tour time could have lasted longer for you :) :) :) All Wailua kayak tour companies operate within the same tour time perimeters. We are all regulated by the state and have specific launch times to operate our a.m. and p.m. tours. Tour times usually run 4.5-5 hrs depending on the pace of the group.
Also, all kayak companies run with 1 guide and a maximum of 12 guests per tour. I'm happy you thought your guide was great! :) I am super blessed to have a great crew! All our guides have been guiding anywhere from 5-15 yrs. Our guides make themselves available to all guests throughout the tour and they love to share their spirit of aloha by educating all w/ Hawaiian history, culture, flora, fauna and other fun facts about Kauai.
Mahalo for your review.
God Bless you!
Keller, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wet, Muddy, Tired...Best time ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

A trip up the Wailua River on Kauai to the Uluwehi Falls is a great adventure for all. This was my first time ever to kayak, so I put my husband in the back and took the front seat. We set out a half day after 4 inches of rain fell on the island, so the river was full and the mud ashore on the two mile round trip hike was deep, slippery, and sticky. I'm not a girl who likes to get dirty and I'm still trying to get all the mud out of my Tevas, but this had to be one of the most fun and challenging things I've done. Our guide, Chris, was kind and patient, and kept us entertained with jokes and stories. He was very knowledgable about the history of the area and the flora and fauna surrounding us. Our journey from the falls back to the kayaks was filled with ukelele music as Chris literally danced his way to the river. Those of us of an older persuasion were a little slower and clumsier.
Don't miss an opportunity to get wet in the pool beneath the falls. The water is cold and clear...and you can use the opportunity to wash off some of the mud!

Visited January 2013
KayakAdventuresKauai, Owner at Kayak Adventures, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Aloha lucas1216,
So glad you enjoyed your kayak trip up the Wailua River. We have a lot of novice kayakers come out with us and all our guides are patient and offer great instruction no matter what the age group. Yes, we go rain or shine and after 4 inches of rainfall, the river gets full & the trail conditions get muddy/slippery. The mud can get deep in spots, so it is important to wear Teva-like hiking sandals. (We have found Crocs get sucked off in the mud)! lol Chris is very knowledgable about Hawaiian history/flora and fauna. He also loves to keep his guests entertained w/jokes and stories not to mention he can serenade you w/his ukelele!
Mahalo for your kind review or our company and guide.
El Paso, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Don't miss the trip offered by this company to the sacred falls. We had a great guide, Aaron, who really made the entire trip more exciting and fun for my teenagers as well as my parents. When we go back to Kauai, we'll definitely go with them, cannot recommend this trip enough.

Visited February 2013
KayakAdventuresKauai, Owner at Kayak Adventures, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Aloha rstopani,
Mahalo for your review on Trip Advisor.
Aaron is amazing! He can relate to all ages. He can keep everyone entertained, as well as sharing his knowledge on Hawaiian history, culture and the love of this island! You basically had a personal concierge at your finger tips! :)
Thank you again for highly recommending us! Hope to see you next time you visit Kauai!
Rogersville, Missouri
“Daniel was a great guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband researched activities for several days before our vacation to Kauai. He was impressed by what he saw and read regarding Kayak Adventures. It was my favorite activity of the trip. The trip lasted about 4 1/2 hours. We had a small group of 3 couples. Had a chance to visit with them along the way. The hike was "just right" and the waterfall and pool were worth the trip. Daniel was very funny, entertaining and knowledgable. Truly enjoyed our experience.

Visited January 2013
KayakAdventuresKauai, Owner at Kayak Adventures, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Aloha OurTrips2002,
Mahalo for you review on our company :)
I am glad to hear your husband was impressed by our reviews. (Thank you Trip Advisor).
I have to say, I am blessed to have such an amazing crew! My guides make the tour. I am happy that you enjoyed your experience with Daniel who is very knowledgeable yet funny & entertaining! :)