“A side of the road treasure”

Chicken In A Barrel BBQ
Ranked #13 of 125 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Description: Dry rubbed, smoked BBQ chicken, beef, pork, and ribs! Falls of da bone, melts in your mouth! Eat-in or take-out! Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Tried this based on trip advisor comments and glad we found it. Its a small shack on the side of the road in Kapaa. Tables with umbrellas set up for dinners. It may seem a bit "iffy" but its really a fun and delicious new startup. I had the sampler platter ($15) which came with shredded pork, beef, a rib, BBQ beans, rice, and chicken. As a BBQ lover, I feel confident giving this high marks. I like to put coleslaw on my sandwiches so we tried theirs and enjoyed the Hawaiian version with pineapple and poppyseed dressing. We took some home to make sandwiches the next day. My husband had the pork hoagie - not as much meat as I had with the sampler. He felt his sandwich should've been meatier, but it was very good. I recommend the place!

There are newer reviews for Chicken In A Barrel BBQ

Reviewed December 12, 2013

When traveling abroad, we try to eat at the places locals frequent whenever possible. The smell of mesquite smoke in the morning air as we walked by provided all the enticement we needed to come back and sample their chicken later. The chicken is in a word, fantastic! This is definitely a must on any travels in Kauai! Be sure to ask about how they started Chicken in A Barrel, it is a good story!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The chicken was juicy and delicious, and the service was fast and friendly. This was, by far, one of our best dining experiences on the island.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great chicken. It really is one of the best chicken you'll eat on the island. Tender, smokey, falls off the bone yummy. The corn bread tastes like homemade and is a great add in to the chili which has a ranch/chili flavor with bacon in it, super yummy!! I ate my rice with my chili and it was great too. Not much to look at since they are right off the oar but they do have a few tables around the shack. The chicken in the barrel in Hanalei has better seating and is much bigger. Great friendly service!

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here today for a late lunch after kayaking. The smell drew us in. Ordered a quarter chicken and rib plate to share. A lot of food! The chicken might have been the best I have ever eaten. Juicy, moist. Did I say generous portion? The ribs were succulent and smokey with a lot if meat. Yum. Yum yum.