“Fantastic”

Ranked #11 of 129 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Dry rubbed, smoked BBQ chicken, beef, pork, and ribs! Falls of da bone, melts in your mouth! Eat-in or take-out! Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Reviewed October 3, 2012

If you like BBQ, go here. They have great tasting BBQ sauce, but who needs it. We had 1/2 chicken and the chicken sandwich. The smoke flavor in the chicken was by far one the best I have had. Go check it out.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you don't mind sitting at picnic tables but like good BBQ, Chicken in A Barrel is a good place to stop. Parking, like most little food shacks in Kauai is very limited but the food is excellent. I had the sampler plate with a baby back rib, pulled pork and BBQ chicken with side of chili and my wife had pulled pork sandwich and we had one soft drink and it came to $26 so a tad pricy by mainland standards but about average for Kauai I discovered. All meats were cooked just right and I particularly liked the sweet spicy BBQ sauce. The one baby back rib I ate had lots of meat on it -- almost as much as half a rack of some chain places and much better tasting.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We ate at 5 star and we ate at roadsie shacks. This was a shack, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Ambience, friendliness and the greatest smoked chicken I've ever had! Moist, smokey, great sauces on side and an authentic island shack a half block from beach in Kapaa. Don't miss it.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stopped for supper at Chicken in a barrel because it looked like something fun to do but neither one of us really liked the smoky chicken taste or the flies that wouldn’t stop dive bombing us.

Did like the fact that the two kids working came out to see how everyone liked the food and a little history about cooking in a barrel. Fun place to stop but just not something we liked.

Everyone else seemed to be digging in.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place is awesome. We were in Kauai for 10 days and we kept driving by this place. We finally decided to stop in one day and we were so glad we did. They had some sort of rib special so we bought a full rack of ribs, a whole chicken, and a few sides of beans and slaw. This fed all 6 of us for about 35 bucks!! You cannot feed 6 people for 35 dollars anywhere on Kauai and let me just sat that the Chicken was awesome. Go there, you will not be dissappointed!