“Great smoked chicken”

Ranked #11 of 129 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Dry rubbed, smoked BBQ chicken, beef, pork, and ribs! Falls of da bone, melts in your mouth! Eat-in or take-out! Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Reviewed July 23, 2011

After a long day I called in an order for take out. It was truely exceptional. My wife wasn't crazy about the rice and chili side(the only side they offer).

Didn't try anything but the chicken, but it was worth the trip.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

OK...let me begin by saying that here in Virginia, as in the entire south, we know BBQ. I've been smoking meats for over two decades now and I will be the first to tell you that when it is done well, it is an art form. The guys at Chicken in a Barrel are truly artists...with chicken. I'm not trying to discount their skills with other meats, they just don't allow enough time in the smokers to do pork and beef well. Chicken, on the other hand, only takes a couple of hours to do well and these guys have chicken down pat. I think this is the perfect restaurant for this area of Hawaii, and I was kicking myself for not thinking of it myself. My wife and I both ordered the chicken plate which came with a couple sides and I think we got chili rice as well. The chicken, as I've already stated, is perfectly cooked with a strong smoke infusion and fall of the bone tender without being mushy. Everything else was pretty forgettable, though they really try to push their chili as being great...it's OK, but not great. Anyway, if you like smoked chicken, then you need to work this place in early during your trip because I guarantee you'll most likely "find" a reason to come back before you leave.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Ordered 2 half chickens to go for four of us later that evening. Even reheated, very tasty moist smoked chicken.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

yup, it's fer real BBQ, smoked right in front in a barrel, (no oven baked w BBQ sauce, that's not BBQ)
you can smell the hardwood smoke
the chicken was rubbed and for some reason much better that the meats (ribs, baby backs, pork, beef) which are very good but the chicken is about the best i've had
plates are $9 up to $14 for the sampler platter, comes w one scoop brown rice, chili beans.
1/2 chicken is $10
med sauce is very good, i have a feelin the hot sauce is not for amatuers
for reals, give it a try,
beach is at the end of the block if u want an ocean view dinner
local drive up, laid back and funky, love it!
Christian people, cool,(we're not Christian but we dig the message)

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Rally delicious smoked, barbecued chicken. The sauces are really good too and the chili is to die for.