“WORST SERVICE!!”

Shivalik Indian Cuisine
Ranked #59 of 124 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: 808-821-2333 phone 808-821-2334 fax Located between Foodland and Pizza Hut
“WORST SERVICE!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

It sucks because I've eaten here before and the food is delicious. I just moved to the island and was excited to eat here weekly but after the atrocious customer service we received tonight I will never eat there again. From the moment we walked in the girl who seated us was rude. She seemed beyond stressed and frantic and considering the fact it was a buffet, I'm not sure why she felt that way.

After being seated, she more or less blatantly ignored us from that point on. After everyone around us being served drinks, naan, etc I finally decided to flag someone down to ask who I could order naan from (20 minutes after arriving). I was told they'd bring some right away...which they did, to every table around us (including the ones that had no one even seated at them).
After 30 minutes of sitting, waiting and being ignored I finally had enough and refused to give any more money than I had to to these baffoons. I left $2.50 on the table for the overpriced can of sprite that I didn't even drink and left. I'd rather give my money to someone who values their customers because these people clearly don't.

• Visited July 2013

Orinda, California
“Wonderful Indian food....delicious”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is the only Indian food on Kauai but still it is very good compared to other Indian restaurants I have been to. The curry was cooked to perfection, the dal yummy, and the varieties of naan so ono (delicious). The service on the night we went to was quite slow but in their defense they were busier than expected on a Monday night. The prices are high for the size portion, too. But still all in all a great experience and we'll go again for sure.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kesslane
NH
“Very good food.”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We ate here 2 weeks ago. Food was delicious and service was prompt. But, husbands tandoori chicken was really tough. Weird because everything else was delicious.

1 Thank nhrenee
San Jose, California, United States
“Great Indian food.”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Food was awesome & great service from Kenny. The Naan is to die for especially the garlic one. My family & I visited Shivalik three times during our vacation to Kauai. We tried the buffet and it superb, loved the chicken and veggie dishes.

Kapaa, Hawaii
“Poor Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having been raised on Indian food, I've always gone to Shivalik to satisfy my cravings for an Indian meal. It is the only Indian restaurant on Kauai.

Despite having given this place many many chances, I have to say that everything about it is actually rather poor. My last visit there can serve as a characteristic example:

After sitting down, it took the waiter nearly 20 minutes to take my order. This does not always happen, but it is always true that the service is very slow. There is one manager who is always there, one cook in the back, and then just one person who serves all the other tables. This chronic understaffing greatly detracts from the restaurant's ability to offer a pleasant dining experience. It was 1 minute until I was about to walk out of the restaurant and go somewhere else when the waiter finally came. Then it took about half an hour for the food to arrive.

While I was waiting, I saw a cockroach crawling across the floor. Not too bizarre in a place like Hawaii, but still.

There is always a new waitress every time I go. And the waitress is always sloppily dressed or heavily tattooed. I think a simple dress code would go a long way in improving Shivalik's vibe and aesthetic. Unfortunately, the poor appearance translates into poor service as well, which is very uncharacteristic of Indian restaurants.

All the Indian restaurants I've been to have had a nice aesthetic, great service, and have a level of politeness, professionalism, and elegance that makes you enjoy being there. Shivalik, on the other hand, feels poorly managed and poorly staffed.

So what about the food? It's ok. It is better some times than it is at other times. In general, the food lacks the complexity of flavor that Indian food is so renowned for. You will mostly notice tons of ginger in the food, enough to dull any other flavor in what you are eating. I have no idea why this is the case, as I've had North Indian cuisine in 3 different countries, including in North India itself and that was not how it tasted.

The food is also quite pricey. $13-15 for dal? That is absurd.

Kauai does not really have an Indian cuisine anywhere yet. Shivalik is trying, but they have a long way to go before they become a nice restaurant. They need a new cook, a few more waiters, a dress code, and some training in customer service.