“Good work out; nice waterfall”

Wailua River Guides
Ranked #11 of 50 Tours in Kapaa
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide exceptional guided kayak tours of the Wailua River Valley and Secret Waterfall on Kaua'i, Hawaii. We provide top of the line equipment and our guides are the best on the river by far! Come play with us!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Keller, Texas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Good work out; nice waterfall”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was a fun trip, but not one I would necessarily do a second time. The kayak part was pretty fun once my son and I got the hang of it, and the rudders make it easier for sure. Chris was our guide and did a good job but on the way back it felt a bit rushed. I understand they have to get back for the afternoon trip, so if I had it to do over again I'd probably do the afternoon trip for that reason. The trail is muddy...even when it's dry, it's still muddy, and it's uneven. We wore crocs hiking type sandals, and that was a mistake, even though they strap to your feet and are close toed. Definitely better to wear a pair of beater tennis shoes that you can toss afterwards. They do have some loaners there if you have nothing though. Flip flops are a definite no go! The waterfall was beautiful and the good part to going on the morning trip was that Chris got us there before the other companies, so we had a few minutes with just a few other people there that had done the trip on their own. Within a few minutes though, it was really crowded since the other guides began arriving with their groups. Still a fun trip though and one I'm glad we did.

Visited July 2014

Newberg
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Work hard, play hard”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

River guide, Justin, did a great job at balancing fun and safety. Had a good amount of knowledge about the trail and its history along with the island as a whole. He also gave good advice as to how to handle the trail and its obstacles. "Embrace the mud and you'll be safer and have more fun." And it was 110% true. Overall, just a very enjoyable trip. Somewhat of a workout, but well worth it!

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Excursion for all Ages”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great afternoon with Wailua River Guides for our family (11 yr old included)! We met Chris, the owner, and Justin, our very personable guide, upon checking in. Tennis shoes are a must and they had loaners for all 3 of us which was very beneficial. We lucked out and did not have too much mud as others recently had seen. The entire afternoon was well planned - it was probably closer to 6 hours but depends on who is in your group and how quickly you go. The kayaking took about 30 minutes to get to the hike. We had our 11 yr old in a kayak with one parent and one parent was solo - this worked well. I do think the kayaking could be tiresome for some people. The hike was great through some mud, water, rocks, limbs. It's shaded and seemed comfortably cool for us. Although our family was not effected, I would recommend bug spray for mosquitoes. Arriving at the falls was beautiful! We swam and enjoyed a nice provided lunch of sandwiches, chips, cookies and fresh pineapple. The backpacks keep everything perfectly dry so you can pack anything including towels, cameras, etc. Our family is athletic yet not into hiking - we found this very enjoyable and not strenuous.

Justin was great in keeping us informed of history along the trail, providing educational tips and even some non-sense yet enjoyable trivia. If you have a 1/2 day to spare we highly recommend this adventure! Thank you Wailua River Guides!

Visited July 2014
“Muddy and a good work out”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

After reading all the reviews and a personal referral, we decided to go for it! Kevin the owner, and Chris our guide for the day were really helpful- they told us that our Teva sandals probably wouldn't be the best for the muddy conditions. No worries, they had loaners:-). We drove to the docks, got into our kayaks, then up the beautiful river. Once we got to the hike, Chris had us pick up walking sticks and gave us really good info and instructions. We went thru mud and water and rocks and tree roots. I can't imagine a diva doing this. Although a dad in our group had some knee injury and he kept up pretty well. My husband and two kids are really fit and enjoyed it. I enjoyed as well- just a mom. Once we got to the falls we swam and ate. When,we hiked back Chris played the ukelele and talked more. Chris was great. He engaged will us and was very sincere.

Visited June 2014
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Super fun (if you don't mind the mud)!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I loved our day with Wailua RIver Guides. Everyone was friendly and fun. At check-in they had a huge variety of shoes one could borrow. I had brought a one-way pair of old tennis shoes which I highly recommend. They are not kidding about the mud! It was deep and soft and crazy. I loved our guide, Andrew, who filled us in on the history and pant life of the area and helped out with taking pictures. This is not an easy hike and paddling was strenuous if you are not in shape. There were kids on the trip who did really well. My main advice is to bring or pick up a WALKING STICK as soon as you get out of the boat. Absolutely helpful on the slippery trail. There were several that others left and wish I had grabbed one at the start. My favorite activity of the trip!

Visited June 2014