“Wanted to love it but....”
Review of Pono Market

Pono Market
Ranked #9 of 125 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We were on the hunt for a good lau lau but when we arrived they were sold out. The lady behind the counter suggested the teriyaki ahi. The husband got with that with lomi salmom I decided on the roast pork with cucumber kim chee as well as a side of kailua pig and some spicy crab poke. We drove to a beach to have lunch since there wasn't much seating available there. The Ahi was too sweet, like sticky sweet, the roast pork didn't have any flavor. Totally lacking in salt. The kailua was dry and tasteless as well. We ended up tossing the roast and the ahi. The best thing was the spicy crab poke. Maybe we should have left when we were told they were out or lau lau.....

1  Thank Samantha P
There are newer reviews for Pono Market

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We just came in here because we enjoy local markets. They had very nice food. We saw the plates people were being served, but had just eaten elsewhere (darn!). We decided to take out a pound of Kalua pork to reheat at our rental apartment. Some of the best Kalua pork we have had, and we have ben in Hawaii a lot. Very good service and very fair prices. Wish we had been able to come back for plate lunch--I'm sure it was delicious.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I as expecting more from the reviews. The market smelled very very fishy... I was hoping for fresh poke, but what we got from foodland was better and much less expensive.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Perhaps I was expecting too much. I love traditional Hawaiian food, and found their food very good, but not the best ever. I had 5 different items and the best one was the spicy ahi tuna, although it was swimming in mayo sauce. I also liked the chicken musubi. The worst was their seaweed salad called the "ocean salad." It was terrible. I've have better seaweed salad virtually everywhere, including low-quality Chinese restaurants... I subtracted one point because of the ocean salad alone. Also, if you have a narrow palate, you won't find much to like here as they do not cater to tourists. And for this, I gave them a point back!

1  Thank GH_ShrtOrDrCook
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Don't see the fuss nor taste the hype. Sorry aunties and uncles, your food is on par with all the rice and spam anywhere else. It's just that you are open at 6AM and seem to be the only place to be open that early.

1  Thank suraimcfly