“A Tasty and Fast”

Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
San Diego
“A Tasty and Fast”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

When in Kauai, you'll likely drive through Kapaa. If so, you'll drive right past The Pono Market and it is a must. Made to order food at affordable prices. They have different Poke bowl specials every day. The spicy Ahi Poke is outstanding. FYI: Poke is seasoned marinated raw fish or seafood. It may not sound appealing to some, but if you're on vacation, step out of your comfort zone and experience the islands with this tasty dish, you'll at least get to say you tried it. The Poke bowls are served with rice for about five to six bucks, you won't be disappointed. BTW, they also serve cooked dishes as well, all are very good. The Pono Market is a small mom and pop place, walk up counter service, with limited seating. It's great as take out for lunch at the beach.

2 Thank SoCaltravelerSD

• Korean first
Seattle
“Love!!!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I love this market. It has a little coffee shop inside run by Ken and Cheryl. He is a serious artist when it comes to his coffee! Really great espresson con panna, breve latte and lattes. He also serves up the best ice cream - Roselani's! I'm not sure what all the hype is about Lappert's ice cream. Personally, I don't like it and I sampled several flavors. Roselani ice cream rocks and I was so happy he serves it there.

On the other side of the little market, the people there are so friendly and helpful. They serve up awesome poke. For those with gluten sensitivities, they do have gluten free poke. The nice guy behind the counter told us that if we brought in our own GF shoyu/tamari, he would season and mix up the poke for us. (So kind!)

They have awesome fried chicken here. I ordered the fried chicken bowl (chicken over a scoop of rice). I wish I could get the recipe! They have musubi rolls (teriyaki chicken or beef, spam, fried chicken with steamed rice and rolled in seaweed wrap - much like a sushi roll). SO YUM! Prices are very reasonable here and food is delicious!!! Had I discovered this place earlier, I would have eaten here the whole time. (We stayed for 2 weeks and found them the second week.) I can't wait to go to Pono Market again!

2 Thank mswendymc
“Always satisfied with the food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were 2 nights in Kauai staying at Marriot. We have chosen with no breakfast as we had enough of Hotel Breakfast and wanted to explore the local food.
We came to the shop almost everyday, and never unsatisfied with the food.
Service was friendly and the food was nice. I wish they have such in other island too :D

1 Thank Hays35
san diego
“Great Poke”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I don't think this is any news but after eating as much poke as I did in a week this place stands out!

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Wow!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

One of the best things we learned from the iconic "blue book". We picked up some ahi poke to go to the beach and WOW. Got a half pound each of the spicy poke and the sesame, and while both were great, I personally loved the spicy while the hubby was enamored with the sesame. Grab some chopsticks and a drink on your way out and you are set for a fantastic lunch on the beach. Friendly staff.

Visited September 2013