“Pono is Ono (good) :)”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you are visiting Kauai or just want a smile and a nice greeting Pono market will be a good choice. It's located in the "strip" of Kapaa town among an assortment of locally owned shops.
If you want to put together a "plate lunch" picnic, I recommend getting there by 11:00 as its no secret that Pono has great "grinds" (food).
Get in line and Choose from an assortment of local Hawaiian delicacies then go enjoy one of Kapaa towns great beaches.
Be aware that they DO NOT take credit cards or checks..its old fashioned and good! (Pono).

There are newer reviews for Pono Market

Reviewed March 9, 2013

love the friendly feeling and the fresh shrimp and ahi poke
walk to Pono Market and get in before the lunch rush when the plate specials sell out!!! great value

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We love poke and had read Pono Market was the place to stop by for poke. It's a small store front off the Main Street and the inside had a coffee shop and a small deli/ market set up. You go to the counter and order from looking into the display cooler for what they have that day. Hot food also available. Everything can be ordered as a meal combo (protein, side, and rice), or you can order the seafood by containers/lbs.

I popped in for some ahi poke. Ordered a pound each of the sesame ahi and spicy ahi. I also ordered a meal combo of the Kalua pork. Grabbed a six pack of Maui Brewing Co beer from the market and headed back to our condo with food and drinks.

The ahi tuna in the poke was super fresh! The poke was well seasoned, light in flavor but refreshing. The Spicy Ahi was, well, not spicy. It was mixed with a orange creamy sauce, I am guessing its mayo and hot sauce. Although it wash spicy, we still thoroughly enjoyed it. The Kalua pork was amazing. Flavors were authentic & meat was tender. Rice was well cooked (you'd surprised how many places over cook their rice on Kauai).

The service was super friendly and quick. The signs/ menu in store were somewhat confusing, so if you haven't been there before, it may be hard to know how to order. I asked the girl behind the counter and she was really helpful.

Our bill came to be $50 something with 2 lbs of ahi poke, a meal combo and beer. It's island price but the food was worth it.

1  Thank Findsandy
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The food here is awesome. Plate lunches which aren't too expensive. Chicken or pork lau lau are amazing! Would go back again. More of a take out place but there are a few tables if you want to sit down.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

After checking out Trip Advisors palces to eat in Kapaa..We hunted down and found "Pono Market"..We were not disappointed!! Where do I begin?? Friendly service, Lau Lau to die for..both pork and chicken..best mac/potatoe salad I've had in like forever!!! Then there was the coffee..Latte was fantastic with a artistic topping in the froth.. Excelent ice cream with the sugar cone was my favorite as well... Oh and can't forget the little known secret..when you are @ the deli counter..turn around and grab a pumkin crunch square topped with whipped cream out of the cooler..so glad I spotted that!!! We had take out several times in the 2 weeks we were on the Island and I highly recommend trying for yourself... oh..and did I mention the Lau Lau..lol~

1  Thank Lynda E