“Phenomenally Enjoyable Experience”

Kauai Photo Tours
Ranked #2 of 50 Tours in Kapaa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We take you to Kauai's most spectacular and beautiful photo locations! See and photograph Kauai's BEST with a local, professional photographer. We'll visit numerous off the beaten path gorgeous settings to see and experience the natural beauty that is Kauai! One amazing photo location right after another the entire time. An incredibly satisfying and rewarding Kauai island experience. We have several different Photo Tours you can choose from (Walking, Hiking, Portraits our Private tours), and digital SLR camera rentals -with polarizers- also available. All of our photo tours are smaller for a more intimate, personal, quality & enjoyable experience. Most tours start between 9:30-10:30 am and return 5.5 hours later, though times can be often adjusted when needed. Designed for beginners, to advanced, to professional photographers and just sightseers alike. Kauai is a true photographer's paradise! Take our tour early-on and have time to revisit the places you enjoyed the most during the rest of your stay. Snacks and drinks Included on all tours! Visit our website for a complete list of information, pricing and photos. (Group tours are $119 per person and Private Tours are $439 and *include* two people and $75 for each additional over two.) Mahalo!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 23, 2014

With guidance from the local professional photographers of Kauai Photo Tours, you will capture stunning images at locations not accessible to most tourists. In early June of this year, I went on two private tours with Levi - (1) the north/east coasts plus a sunset, and (2) the south shore. Although both coastal areas are photogenic, the south shore is superb for a variety of seascapes with surf and cliffs. In addition, Levi is an excellent photographer, full of fun and very good with people. So, these tours turned out to be phenomenally positive experiences and most enjoyable. Thus, I highly recommend Kauai Photo Tours to other photo enthusiasts. Following Levi’s advice and tips, I learned more about photography and my camera while taking amazing pictures. Whether you are an experienced or a casual photographer, your guide will cater to your particular needs so that you get the maximum performance possible from your camera.

There are newer reviews for Kauai Photo Tours

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We did this photo tour recently with my wife.It was amazing, Chris our guide show us lots interesting new places. We had wonderful time.

1  Thank Nick2000au
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I decided to do this excursion solo while traveling with my family on NCL's Pride of America cruise. The hiking tour was full, so I took the driving/walking tour. Photography is a serious hobby of mine, but I'm not experienced in landscape photography. I'm in agreement with all the wonderful, positive comments others have made about this tour and will try not to repeat (in fact, the reviews here convinced me to give it a whirl). Matt Feeser was a wonderful guide, an amazing photographer--(check out his jaw dropping photos on Facebook), and just a genuinely nice young man. What I like the most about this tour is that you get the educational aspect of taking better landscape/travel photos (there wasn't a question Matt wasn't willing or able to answer from anyone in the group), but also tons of information about the culture, language, history of Hawaii, and the flora, fauna and wildlife of Kauai. I had forgotten my favorite travel lens, and Matt generously loaned me his lens (which was just like mine)--a very sweet gesture. I enjoyed this tour so much that I would like to return to Kauai and try the hiking tour. If you're thinking about this tour, just do it--you'll get a lot of "exposure" to the island, and the price is very reasonable compared to what you get (5.5 hour tour, personal guide, snacks and drinks, all the photography instruction you want. Oh, and be sure to ask Matt to sing for you on the way back!

1  Thank Susie B
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is an approximately 5-hour drive/walk tour including a stop for lunch. You go to approximately a dozen or more places of breathtaking natural beauty and you can get some fantastic photos.

Our group had nine in it and that was a great size. There is some light walking in the tour. Snacks and drinks are provided. There is a stop for lunch which will cost you between $6 and $12 depending on what you order. Christian was a great guide and teacher.

1  Thank controller01
VinnyT, Owner at Kauai Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking our photo tour and for sharing such a nice review. I just wanted to clarify that your tour only had 7 people on it rather than 9 as mentioned. The most we take out on any group tour is just seven people to keep the entire experience more personal and enjoyable. For Private Tours we can take out as many people (and vehicles) as needed. MAHALO!!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I took this tour so I could break away from the family to squeeze in some focused landscape photo work. The tour was for on the north/east side of the island, and it did not disappoint.

First off, props to our guide Levi... Levi is excellent. He started out getting everyone familiar with each other. I discovered I had a pro and a few enthusiasts with me in the van, and we learned what what everyone liked to shoot. To my pleasant surprise everyone cared about technical part of photography... an added bonus since you learn a lot from the people around you also and the chatter in the van is at a higher level (including some Nikon vs Canon ribbing). I focus on indoor sports photography, so having Levi and the others there to guide me through landscape work was great.

The next surprise: the locations themselves... Levi took us to places that I did not expect at all. Most were out of the way beach locations with a great range of texture, color, and depth. Despite the standard rules for sunrise/sunset landscape photos, I think you want a nice partly cloudy day (more sun, less clouds) for this tour to pull the color out of Kauai. For each of the several tour stops (somewhere around 8, if I recall correctly), Levi would show an example composition and everyone would work around that. You can bring a tripod but you will have to be fast and some of the spots don't have the footing to make it fast. I decided to ditch the tripod early and just focus on shooting. My advice is if you like a spot, pin it and come back to it later and work it at your own pace. I processed the photos when I got home and was pleased... the vegetation, sky, ocean, volcanic rock, and red dirt all made for some great shots.

For equipment, I recommend a polarizer or ND filter... Levi helped me get the most of it as I was new to this equipment. The shop home base will rent them out if you need them. I ran with a 24-70 lens + polarizer on my Canon. Also, I carried a loupe so I can chimp in direct sun.

Levi took us to a little mall in Hanalei for lunch, I think the place was Village Snack & Bakery. I gobbled up the lunch plate (local fair) and found something I came back for later several times in our trip: Vanilla Haupia pie. Chocolate is good... but I think vanilla is better folks. The lady who runs the place is really nice. I came back several times later during the trip.

Overall, a great experience for someone who wants to hang with other photo enthusiasts and just have some fun without pressure. I will be booking with them again, but I want to try a south side tour. Nice job Kauai Photo Tours!

2  Thank mnroha

Been to Kauai Photo Tours? Share your experiences!