“Great Tour”

Kauai Photo Tours
Ranked #2 of 50 Tours in Kapaa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We take you to Kauai's most spectacular and beautiful photo locations! See and photograph Kauai's BEST with a local, professional photographer. We'll visit numerous off the beaten path gorgeous settings to see and experience the natural beauty that is Kauai! One amazing photo location right after another the entire time. An incredibly satisfying and rewarding Kauai island experience. We have several different Photo Tours you can choose from (Walking, Hiking, Portraits our Private tours), and digital SLR camera rentals -with polarizers- also available. All of our photo tours are smaller for a more intimate, personal, quality & enjoyable experience. Most tours start between 9:30-10:30 am and return 5.5 hours later, though times can be often adjusted when needed. Designed for beginners, to advanced, to professional photographers and just sightseers alike. Kauai is a true photographer's paradise! Take our tour early-on and have time to revisit the places you enjoyed the most during the rest of your stay. Snacks and drinks Included on all tours! Visit our website for a complete list of information, pricing and photos. (Group tours are $119 per person and Private Tours are $439 and *include* two people and $75 for each additional over two.) Mahalo!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This tour was one of the best if not THE best experiences while staying on the island. The people in the shop are very friendly but without pushing too much. The tour guide, Levi, is a very good photographer himself. He was very helpful by not only bringing to picturesque sites, but by giving advices on shooting directions, composition, camera settings, etc. And he is really enjoying what he is doing.

Highly recommend.

One advice: do this tour at the very beginning of your stay.

1  Thank Jacob P

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Fun Fabulous Outstanding Remarkable are just a few words to let you know the kind of time we had with Levi, our guide and photographer extraordinaire. It didn't matter if you were using a cell phone camera or something a little more high tech Levi knew just how to make our pictures stand out that much more. You're on the island of Kauai there isn't a bad view. There was eight adults all family members, Levi was fun, smart, joked and fit right in with our family. He cared about each one and made sure we all enjoyed ourselves all day long. Like I said we had such a good time we came back the next day just to see everyone who had a hand in our wonderful time and talk some more. We would like to THANK Levi (Michele and A.J. the owners, who helped plan our tour), for a great day!!!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

As first time visitors to Hawaii, we were somewhat overwhelmed by the plethora of island adventures awaiting us. I wanted to do a photo tour and my husband thought that the walking tour offered on the Kauai Photo Tours site might prove to be a great sampler of the delights in store for us. So we booked a tour for our trip in early October. This turned out to be an excellent choice. I got to run around snapping photos to my heart's content while my husband got his sampler.

The tour we took comprised seven or eight locations along the North Shore. Since we had booked our stay up in Princeville, I was a little worried that we would end hitting all the spots we had seen coming in. But no fear of that. Our guide, Levi, took us to some spots not easily discovered on one's own--often providing a slightly different angle to the more common overlooks and photo spots. When on location, he'd offer up interesting framing opportunities, point out choice details, explain how to capture that postcard shot without it looking like a generic snapshot taken from eye level. He was very knowledgeable about cameras and showed me (total photography newb) a couple of things to orient me with the non-auto options on my Nikon D5100. An affable and entertaining guide! Educational too, as he shared with us the story of Hawaii's annexation, as well as other historical tidbits. At one point, we found a roadside fruit stand and we all got coconuts that Levi opened with his machete. It was a really memorable Hawaiian moment.

I was also able to rent a wide angle lens for this tour. They encourage the renting or purchase of polarisers, which I think is suitable for the shooting conditions. The polarisers bring out the depths of the water, enhance the vibrancy of colours, and manage reflections or reduce glare. This really helps you capture the clear waters of the Hawaiian beaches or keep the glare from detracting from capturing dolphins and fish in the water. I already had my own polariser but they rent and sell them.

The tour is a little over five hours. The walking tour isn't so intensive that it will wipe you out for the rest of the day--you should still have plenty of energy for your evening plans. And they are really good about making sure you have drinks and snacks so you don't become dehydrated or over-do. We also got pretty lucky in that we had four people total on our tour--two photo enthusiast wives with husbands tagging along with their mobile phones. So we got a lot of individual attention.

...

So we enjoyed our tour and I picked up a few filters I had already researched and seen online. But the story doesn't end there. The second day of our trip we went sailing on the Napali coast (also recommended--we went with Captain Andy's). At the end if the day though, I had a filter encrusted with salt. I worried that if I tried to clean it with a regular lens cloth, the salt would scratch my new polariser. So on Thursday (day3) we dropped by Kauai Photo Tours to see what they would recommend. (Remember, I'm a total newb at photography.) anyway, Michelle and Levi were both in, and helped me clean my filter. I picked up a lenspen (recommended by an online forum) and Levi showed me the way to use it.

All in all, I really appreciated the friendly folks at Kauai Photo Tours and their helpful advice. I am thinking that the next time I am on the island, I might like to try their hiking or South shore walking tour.

2  Thank PixelLis
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Once my family and I decided we were going to Kauai we started looking for videos of it on youtube. I am so very lucky that I ran across a fellow traveler that suggested this place. When I called to make reservations, A.J. was very helpful and told me to not forget a polarizing lens for my camera! When we arrived, we were greeted with smiles and the atmosphere was very laid back and comfortable (this is coming from a person that is very shy and doesn't like being in groups of people that I don't know). Right off the bat, you get the feeling that the owners and tour guides really do love their jobs. I mean who wouldn't love driving tourists around to look at some of the most beautiful beaches on earth, right? The driving/walking tour is the one that we took, it was from 10.30 am till about 4.30 pm (well worth the money). There were only 7 people, including Levi (our tour guide) in our group. We started our tour by getting to know the other passengers and our tour guide. Levi was very cool, and we had a lot in common with both he and another passenger so it made for an easy atmosphere and lots of talking. He took us all along the shore and to many places that we would have never seen, because some of the places were out of the way and something I assume only the locals know about. We stopped for lunch a a local Hawaiian food truck, and the food was awesome. I had the kalua pulled pork sandwich and homemade ginger ale (tasted very flower-y). This was also my first introduction to taro, which was baked into a cake they call taro mochi cake. Anyway, Id like to just express how great Levi was with my son (who has Asperger's Syndrome). I never told Levi that he was autistic, but he handled my son very well! Answered his questions, asked questions of him, and included him in everything we did. Levi took us to a little fruit stand where the couple that sat behind us bought a coconut for us all to share (our first ever real coconut). Thank you Bob and wife (I am so sorry I cant remember her name)! Levi, was very patient and helpful with all of our cameras, he was very willing to help us get just the "right" shots and taught me many things about picture taking and perspective, something that I used the rest of my trip. One thing I can tell someone that is thinking of taking this trip, there is not a lot of walking but one of the sites we visited, I can recall was a rather strenuous climb down and back, although it was the most beautiful beach during the whole trip. Just a warning to wear shoes and NOT flip flops with no traction on the bottom, very slippery. Im in my 30's and had to stop to catch my breath more than once...LOL. I would suggest this tour to anyone and everyone, we had a blast, and hope that will will go back and take the tour once again. Thanks, Kauai Photo Tours for giving us such great memories!

1  Thank Kryss P
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We scheduled a private tour for our second day on Kauai. Our guide Christian was very helpful and very knowledgeable. But best of all he was just really fun to hang out with. We deciced we are making him part of the family. There were four of us in our party and all with varying degrees of experience. Christian was great help to the more experienced as well as those of us who just point and shoot. We highly recomend doing the photo tour at the start of your trip. That way you have plenty of time to return to all of the good spots. Not only was Christian helpful on the photo aspects of the tour, he gave us lots of good pointers and info about other good places to go and things to see and do. We would do it again in a minute and would recomend it to any of our friends planning a trip to Kauai.

Been to Kauai Photo Tours? Share your experiences!