“Wow! Plus very GF friendly!”
Review of Hukilau Lanai

Hukilau Lanai
Ranked #3 of 129 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We loved it here! Sat in the bar as we did not have reservations. I had the filet with a red wine sauce and potato of the day. It was served with a first course of tomato pineapple gazpacho and fresh out of the oven gluten free bread!!!! My SO had the veggie lasagna and was in love with it. My filet was cooked perfectly and the sauce was amazing. Service was great and you could tell there was a good team environment. The price - very humble! A bottle of wine for $26 and an entree that includes a first course for $15-$33. We were impressed and hope to make it back!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Dined here several times because it was that good. We have dietary issues and the staff and kitchen made sure to take care of us. Not only a gluten free menu, but - the only place I have seen this - they bake the yummy gluten free bread to order! Apart from all of that, the food was consistent and excellent. And very fairly priced.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Really happy that we went there for their happy-hour tasting menu. Great service and fresh, locally-sourced menu. The tasting menu that day was already gluten-free, but they brought out freshly baked gf bread, which was awesome.

I added them to my list for gluten-free on Kauai:

Reviewed March 6, 2014

When you come to Hawaii, you expect really good seafood, which is what you get if you go to Oahu or Maui. Seeing that this is at present the top rated restaurant on Kauai, and having a couple of other top rated eateries turn in similar performances, I would have to say that, well the seafood in Kauai just doesn't compare. Probably need to lower my expectations for Kauai.

I had the Opah dish, and my wife had the three for one seafood combo. Her dish was excellent, and the unspecified fish that she got tasted fresh and was cooked just right. My Opah dish came with almost no sauce (I ended up borrowing some from my wife's dish) and tasted like over-steamed mush, and wasn't super fresh fish either. I know the difference in fish from eating at the really great places in Maui and Oahu how super fresh fish can taste, and this Opah certainly wasn't there.

The drinks were good, the service was excellent. So all in all, it was OK.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Awesome food and reasonable prices. I thought this place was going to be really pricey. No different than at home at a nice place in Michigan, steaks n fish about the same price. The lasagna was probably on the high side but worth it. Plus a salad came with it where as back home its ala carte. We ordered sweet potato ravioli for starters and they were delicious! My hubby ordered the mixed platter with two types of fish and shrimp and I had vegetable lasagna. Both were outstanding!! I really do not like fish at all but on the platter came a spearfish called Hebi that was sooo good I would come back just for that. The lasagna was very good as well. Ryan our waiter was outstanding!! For a smaller menu they did an amazing job ensuring no matter if you are looking for seafood, meat, chicken, or vegetarian there is something for everyone.