“It was ok....”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Seattle
“It was ok....”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was excited to eat here after seeing it was rated so highly in Kapaa. When we arrived, I kind of felt like the host staff treated us like they were doing us a favor by letting us eat there. Really not like any other greeting we got anywhere else on our trip to Kauai.

The waitress was very nice.

The Mai Tai, was way too sweet - almost to the point it ruined dinner. For dinner we had the mixed grill, which was some shrimp, a Cajun style fish and another kind of bland one in a Thai style sauce. Cajun mixed with Thai seems a bit over-invented, Good fish should be served with a minimal amount of seasonings. The salad and the bread were good, and the view of the grounds was beautiful. But I would not go out of my way to eat here again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beautiful view and hawaiian dance”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great ambience and view. Food was good. Mixed grill is a must try. Desserts were good too. Had a wonderful server.

Visited July 2013
San Diego
“Wonderful food, fantastic ambience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Absolute perfection. The food was fantastic, and the service was excellent. The view too is wondrous, and although we did not sit in the Lanai, we could see the gorgeous grounds. It's very fancy, so not the best for small children, although our son was 10 and was fine. It's fairly expensive (as are most things on Kauai) but if you want a wonderful dinner and experience, worth it.

1 Thank Laura P
Kauai, Hawaii
“Great food, lovely dining experience”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have wanted to try this restaurant for quite sometime, so I finally made a reservation. First of all, I was very pleased that, even as a solo diner, I received one of the nicest tables -- a table of two, but, of course, with just me -- on the lanai, looking out over the pool and ocean. (I mention this because I am often relegated to the worst table in the place as a solo diner.) My waitress was very attentive, also. I decided not to have an appetizer so that I could have dessert :-) Hukilau is know for its fish, so I selected ono, a local fish that I often have in sushi or sashimi. My ono came on a bed of jasmine rice, all of which was sitting on a pumpkin-based curry type of sauce. Beautiful presentation, wonderful piece of fish, and great combination of tastes! And not too large a serving, either. Dinner comes with either salad or soup, and I got the Caesar salad. The dressing was good, with lots of garlic, which I like. For dessert I had the macadamia tart. Imagine a small pecan pie tart, but with macadamias instead -- and warm! Just yummy, and even better with the scoop of cinnamon ice cream.

A lovely dining experience! I will definitely be going back.

2 Thank Hummba
Atlanta, Georgia
“Both food and service were excellent without breaking the bank!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Any of the grilled fish is amazing, the whole dinner for four with one appetizer and one desert that we all shared came to $120 and was with every penny.

1 Thank Cismigiu