“Our favorite this trip.”
Review of Hukilau Lanai

Hukilau Lanai
Ranked #3 of 128 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Go, go, go. The food was wonderful, the service perfect and the view awesome. Do not be turned off by the location inside a time share community. There was no sales pitch or pressure (it wasn't even mentioned). I don't eat fish but was tempted and ordered the macadamia nut crusted Ono with a pineapple salsa. I was pleased with my choice. My husband had the tasting menu which was 5 (I think) courses. He really enjoyed each one but especially the candied ahi and the sausage and warabi. Each course was paired with a different wine. The creme brulee had a perfectly torched sugar top and the mai tais were pretty tasty!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The food at the Hulilau wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't terrific...and frankly, it all tasted the SAME...we had the poke nachos and the lobster/goat cheese ravioli/wontons that previous reviewers had raved about...we didn't understand the fuss...they had a good flavour but were quite underfilled and mostly cheese (little lobster--I couldn't find any really) and unfortunately, the chips under the poke in the nachos dish were the same fried dough they used in the wontons, so the two appetizers were too much alike...and speaking of "alike"--the sauce on my fish trio entree tasted exactly like my crab bisque (which had NO crab in it by the way), which tasted just like the pokey in the nachos...we both had the fish trio which that night was walu (butterfish), spearfish, and shrimp, accompanied by a "creamy orzo"...the orzo was mush...the butterfish was lovely, but the spearfish and shrimp were terribly overcooked, so much so that asked our server to take mine back...I am an accomplished cook and I know how to cook different types of fish, so I was a little put off when our server argued with us that the spearfish wasn't overcooked, just a "different type of fish" than the butterfish....anyway, she took both the pieces of spearfish back to the kitchen (my plate and my husbands)....

to their credit, the manager came over, told us that we were right, that they weren't good "cuts" of fish and should not have been served to us....she took $8 off of our bill and gave us two free desserts, so that was fine with us....as I said, the food was okay, but it wasn't anything I can't cook better in my own kitchen....atmosphere was fine, in the courtyard of the hotel (forget which one) with a bit of a water view, and for the most part it was a nice evening....I suspect that the reason people give the food such great reviews is because they are comparing it to other restaurants in the area which we found to be pretty sorry...in fact, we gave up on paying high prices for average food in Kapaa and ended up eating pizza twice during our week stay...

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Kauai a dozen time and have eaten in at least 50 of the restaurants. Along with the Beach House, this is a favorite. The food is excellent. The service is friendly and attentive. We had party of six and had a lot of variety ... all great. You have to try the Poke Nachos, Lobster Bisque and Ahi. Prices very fair for quality if food. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by a friend and were not disappointed. We had the Tasting menu with wine pairings. Presentation and attentive staff a delight. The food delicious. Definitely a Thumbs Up!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The food is fantastic, on a level with Roy's or the other upscale Hawaii restaurant experiences. The atmosphere could be a little better, but your choices on the island are limited, and it's fine. There is a $40 5-course tasting meal, which since paired with wines is a great deal. On the other hand, a couple can order an appetizer, drinks, and share some entrees for about the same amount. You'll have to decide how to live on your own. There is typically room at the bar but if you want a table you will probably want to make a reservation -- that goes for every day of the week.