“AWESOME !”

Deep Sea Fishing Kauai
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Went in late May 2012, absolute blast! 4 people didnt show, and they STILL took just me and 1 paying customer. Rough seas, but maybe time of year. Trolled and hooked into a BEAST. Hit the largest rig in the center, spooled it down to the last 100 yards of line. First mate was try to stop the drag by squeezing the reel with his hands while boat driver backed up. Their excitement alone in what we hooked made us realize how big the fish was (they do this every day). The fish dove straight down, they never seen the pole bend like that, even called their other boat over to help us try and land it, our arms alone would have fallen off. After about 40 minutes, our 400lb liter snapped - would have rather landed it, but oh well still awesome. Line was very frayed, they said from a very large marlin most likely due to bill. Said some people fish their whole life to hook into something of that size. Other than that, we caught a lot of skip jack tuna, and used some meat to catch yellowfin by free lining with lava rocks on light tackle. If i make it back out, I will return to them. Very fun, skilled and helpful crew!

2  Thank korndogg
"once in a lifetime"
"bucket list"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My boyfriend is a fishing frantic. So, when we decided to plan a trip to Kauai, we looked over fishing reviews & decided on Deep Sea Fishing Kauai. I booked it 3 months in advance &was told that I had to leave my credit card as a deposit & they will call me the day before with all the information the day before our trip was. I didn't have a confirmation #, all i had was the date that I booked it & the person's name who I booked with. Thank goodness I had this info, because no one ever called me. I called them around 2 pm the day before & was told they weren't taking any reservations....what, I already had it. She did some digging & found I did & told me that she had to talk to the captian to see if they were going out & will let me know. So, we waited till 6 pm & called multiple times & no answers. Finally the captain called us around 7 pm & gave us the info & said we were set. We arrived ontime, but no one from Deep Sea Kauai was there. Everyone arrived 15 to 20 mins late. Finally we go out to fish. Boat is gross (I know my boyfriend didn't care b/c he fishes all the time, but I thought it should be clean because its a professional business). So, there were 3 of us (my b/f, me & another guy) & 2 crew people. We were told that they will do their best to catch fish (no, problem...I understand you can't control it). We were told as soon as we got out there that we will fish for small size fish first & they will give us the meat, but if we get any bigger fish then they will share some of the meat, but will need to sell some of the meat in the fish market for their payment....wait...what? See I feel that you shouldn't mix 2 types of businesses. Are you fishing for work? or are you a tourist activity for work? I feel that they should of never pressured the customers that they need the fish for their living. If that is the case, raise your fishing cost to pay for your crew. Every fishing charters my b/f have ever gone on gave all the fish meat the the customers paying for the trip. So, we start catching fish (small tuna & having fun) but the crew wants to go after the bigger fishes, all 3 of us didn't want to leave this hot spot & felt that we had to b/c the crew had to make their $. So, we trolled for hours & then finally hit a pod of mahi-mahi. Now, I am not use to fishing, but when we got mahi on the hook it seems like everyone went crazy. Hooks flew everyone, crew are cussing at each other. My b/f & the other guy had fun, but I guess since I am not use to it, I was not impressed with all the screaming & danger of hooks everywhere. Actually, the captain had a hook dig into his skin that he had to pull out. Imagine if that was a customer...yikes..Overall, I will recommend not to use them.

11  Thank kim b
captnj, Owner at Deep Sea Fishing Kauai, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Sounds like there was a little confusion at the dock and instead of telling you "sorry maybe next time" we made it happen no matter what. That is not because you are special. It is because even though we fish every day we do not take it for granted and we understand you do not have this opportunity every day. So yes there was a communication issue and yes you had to wait a bit but we are coming, just hold on. Fishing is an extreme sport. The ocean by nature is a dangerous element. 980 pound marlin and 200 pound tunas and yes a writhing mahi mahi can cause you great harm. Its not a lake and its not a controlled environment and yes it is dangerous. It is a managed chaos when the reel starts to scream. A Chinese fire drill with people who have not been on the ocean in a year or more (or ever) nor in the boat before. It's also interesting when clients indicate the captain or crew hooked themselves. In every instance where I have had a close encounter with a hook you may rest assured I did not hook myself without a tremendous amount of support from one of my friends on the boat and this close encounter was little different. Yes you would have been happy to stay and harvest vast amounts of small fish but they are babies, 12-15 pounds of a fish that will grow to over 200 pounds when mature. We like to take a little table fair but lets be realistic and think about the next season for a bit. You would have been content to catch a bunch of small fish but you would have been blown away if you landed a big one and there are BIG ones. You are in a place where 1000 pound marlin exist 250 pound tunas exist and you are Big Game Fishing so take some fish for your stay, leave some for the future and take advantage of the potential because it is a waste to take it for granted. Sorry we made you wait a bit. Thanks for the close call. The mahi were a riot and it wouldn't have happened if you didn't stop taking baby fish and live a little on the wild side. Oh, as far as the boat it is a fishing machine not a yacht. It runs hard from 5 am to 8pm every day. it is rode hard put away wet and ready for work in the morning. Glad the boys had fun.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great trip with Justin and Chris! We started by catching some live bait and going after Mahi. Almost got one in the boat! We then started trolling and looking for birds. After finding a huge mass of birds, all the lines popped and we pulled in our first round of yellow fins (50lbs and three around 15lbs). Nothing for the next 1.5 hours of trolling. We found another mass of birds and all the lines popped again. This time we pulled in a 70lb yellow fin and another two around 15lbs. Chris and Justin worked their butts off! A great and lucky day on the water!

1  Thank grittyagility
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have read many of the posts on tripadvisor. Depending upon your perspective, you may agree or disagree with them. I called Capt. J. with just a couple of days left on our vacation and he was very friendly and accommodating. We communicated via email and by phone and he got me and my son onto a charter our last day in Kauai with just 4 others.

The crew (Justin and his Nephew) was great and friendly. They explained clearly how things would work and how to work together to catch big fish. After a couple of hours trolling along the south side of Kauai, the exhilarating sound of our line running roared and we jumped into action. Each of us clearing the lines of the other trolling rods and working together to catch the biggest fish my son and I have ever caught. After over 30 minutes fighting the fish, we landed a 200 pound yellowfin. It was awesome.

Unfortunately, we didn't catch anything else that day. At the end, the Boat did keep the fish. While this was somewhat disappointing, the crew offered to get us some fish over the next few days as it was caught and available.

The day was beautiful (although the seas were rougher than we expected even though it was a "smooth" day) and a great way to share a memory with my son.

Thanks to Capt. J, Justin and the crew.

1  Thank bgsync
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went out for 6 hours. Dragged 9 lines each with a lure. After driving around and around and around we came back with NOTHING. Not so much as a bite. No offer to drop a line with live bait using other poles as mentioned in previous post. Was quite disappointed with this outfit. Not that we didn't catch any fish but absolutely nothing was done to try something different. It was 'oh, well! Thanks for your money. Goodbye!'
Sites were good - we were of the shore of Kauai after all.

3  Thank Biffem

Some things you need to know about fishing before you book your charter. "Its a big ocean and there are big fish in it, and YOU ARE GOING TO GET ONE... or you're not!". This was the best comment I ever heard from a client as it is just that easy. There are no guarantees just incredible potential and time on the ocean in the place where the tunas live.
That said, the charter rate is very affordable by all standards. The rate for a 6 hr charter does not meet the cost of one, not one, reel. We troll with 7 and stock 9 two speed Shimano Tiagras on the boat. The cost of the 7 lures in the water nearly match the charter rate.
Contrary to Jacques Cousteau's assessment, the ocean is not teaming with life, it is a desert and in it there are pockets of life and you have to spend time on that vast ocean to find them and you may or may not but if you don't look you cant see.
Before I go. The crew was real nice and you didn't have a strike but you did have a 31 Bertram with twin 330 HP tourbo charged Cummins engines, nibral props, over sized rudders, deck controlls, Faruno 585 recorder, 1kw transducer, 9 Shimano Tiagra Reels with Calstar rods custom built on the island and the best tackle available, full fuel tank and 200 pounds of ice and an experienced captain with crew. What happens next is fishing.