“Great trip today with Capt. Bill and Josh”

Deep Sea Fishing Kauai
Larkspur, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great trip today with Capt. Bill and Josh”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We went out of Port Allen today with reports that the fishing was "spotty". We went east up towards Poipu and then went to the deeper water to avoid a rain squall. We hooked up and landed two Spearfish Marlin and then two Yellow Tail Tuna.
The crew was terrific and would recommend them highly. Also saw several whales so be sure to bring your camera.
Appreciated that they let us take some fish back to the condo for a great feast.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank mikeallen340

Redding, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Catch Empty Stomach”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Had a great time with my 13yr old son, he caught a nice small yellow fin tuna which we shared with the other 4 anglers on the boat however the two very large MahiMahi , one of which I caught was very quickly locked up and kept by crew. Was under the impression when talking to Capt J before the trip that the fish was split 50/50, just think they should explain that they don't always share. The price was worth the trip it is just that they should not be so greedy with the fish, people like to taste what they catch along with the memories not to mention when you tell customers that fish is shared it should be shared.

Visited December 2011
8 Thank rich s
captnj, Owner at Deep Sea Fishing Kauai, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Everyone likes a good review. I like it when they are accurate. This review provides value in that the catch was a good one considering the days and week prior. We did find some very large mahimahi,, however the reviewer is making a "forgetful" and misleading review that may disclose a desire that was not met but does not represent us or our intentions in all honesty. Along with the two large mahi a medium yellow fin tuna was landed as well. At the end of the day the tuna was cut and shared with the anglers providing them with fresh fish for 3-4 days as is the intention of the boat. We are not "greedy" we are reasonable. The mahi was about 37 pounds ( a nice catch) cut it would provide a platted meal for about 50 people. The reviewer had two in their party and they were treated to tuna instead of mahi. If stomachs were empty it was not on our account. The catch was shared with concern for the client and according to the captains discretion. Sashimi not mahi. Something not nothing. I hope this helps others understand that we have good intentions and fish willing we try to please everyone all the time knowing that you can try hard and still not succeed.
Durango, Colorado
“Best Part Of Our Vacation On Kauai”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Capt. J and Justin are professionals who love their job.
I took my father in- law on this trip, his first time ocean fishing. I fish anually off a charter boat in San Diego and have fished in a few other states as well. This trip beat some of the 2-3 days I've been on. We landed ahi, mahi mahi, wahoo and others which I cannot remember the species. We hooked upon a marlin but didn't get him to the boat.
I can't say enough about the skill these guys have running their local waters. If the fish are biting J and Justin willget you on them. I would suggest bringing plenty of snacks, we got hungry out there.

We will be booking another deluxe trip when we get back to the island.

Tim K.
Durango, CO

Visited November 2011
Livermore, California
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Captain "J" Trust him to find the fish?”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We looked around for a quality boat and captain, not easy to do on Kauai. We got both with Capt J. The boat was great and his knowledge and a little luck put us on a 180lb yellow fin, it took everything we had in us to get that beast to the boat, but Justin and J kept our spirits high even though that fish was kickin our butt. At one point I asked how much line was out, Justin told me about 300yrds, after cranking the reel for 5 more minutes and seeing little gained, I told him next time I asked, lie to me, his reply..... I DID !! My father in law was able to take "catching the big one" off his bucket list, I'm just ready for the next one !! Thanks again Capt J and Justin !!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank derek d
Escondido, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun time, plus CONTAK”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I booked the boat on a private charter and corresponded with Capt J via email to get everything set. The day before we were to go Capt J called me with the details of how to get to the harbor and what to bring. He said that he had had a 16 hour day and not caught much but "tomorrow was another day", our expectations were not great, other than having fun. Justin and Rob met us at the boat and explained that Justin would be captaining the boat that day. They were both great to be around, knowledgeable, friendly, what one would expect!
After several hours of trolling with no luck Justin explained the banana superstition and we reluctantly jettisoned part of the lunch we brought aboard -- shortly afterward we had our first strike (point noted for future trips, no bananas onboard). We ended up with a 30LB Skipjack suitable for dinner and were happy but then later in the morning hooked up with what turned out to be a 200LB Yellowfin -- fun times! Certainly the biggest fish any of the four of us had ever caught.
We got back to the dock, Capt Justin filleted the Skipjack, they packed the tuna in ice for a restaurant and we left with smiles on our faces!

Visited October 2011