“Perfect place to hang your hat and peruse the island”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Perfect place to hang your hat and peruse the island”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Well, there really is no better deal then $30 a night anywhere in Hawaii! For a week I spent $200 on accommodation.

Hawaii does not do all inclusive, so if you're going to Kauai to hike, check out the island…I can't see you spending too much time in your "room" anyways!! Spend less, view more!

If you have never stayed at a hostel, this is definitely off-beat. Bring a lock to secure your suitcase during the day to something stable :) although, there seems to be a high level of trust which is great!
- Very caring, and pleasant hippy staff
- A kitchen with all you need ( pans are a little sticky.. ), fridge for food storage
- A shower that bills itself as a full use bathroom
- Roosters offer a natural alarm clock (bring earplugs and you'll have a sound sleep),
- There are plugs and free wi-fi for all your electronic uses
- Beds in the female dorm were massive and heavy duty. Bunk beds where you don't even feel the person climb to the top. Curtains for privacy.
- Close proximity to The Kountry Kitchen Restaurant (GREAT house blend coffee and breakfast) as well as the downtown core of Kapaa
- THE OCEAN IS RIGHT OUT BACK! As I mentioned before, for the price…you are waking up to an ocean view. And in all my travelling experiences..you cannot beat that!

If you don't like sharing or are uncomfortable with open spaces this may not be your cup of tea. If you can handle living like a backpacker this is the better of the two hostels on the island.

Honestly the only complaint I had was the pans….

*I would recommend this to couples or people on a budget who want to spend money on experiences rather then a hotel*

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DaRealAlliG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Slovenia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

after 5 days on Kalalau trail I didn't want anything than a hot shower in a clean bathroom, wash my clothes and get connected with the world.
This bathroom were not cleaned for month! I'm a cleaner, so I can tell.
There is no Laundromat, about 1 mile away from here you could find a 24/7 public disgusting one.
And backpackers are not carry any computers with them, so it's good to have one. Not a MAC or a new ASUS, but something. Please.
I also was surprised that people were sleeping in the check-in area - one side it's nice to see that they don't let anyone sleep on the beach, other way it's a bit weird.
I also had to sign that I understand that the electricity is the most expensive in US which is a lie, I lived in NY for 4 years and I'm from Europe, trust me it's much more expensive there. So please... otherwise I'm extremely green so they didn't have to be afraid that I won't turn off the lights after I leave a room or bathroom.

For this money you can have perfect service on Maui in an amazing hostel. So I don't get why they have this terrible one...

Room Tip: don't choose any of it. :-) otherwise man's dorm is always better, I don't know how it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Banditina
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Kauai Beach House Hostel is comfy, simple and supplies all one might need. An awesome view and right on the water, it is an amazing place to wake up in; fresh sweet sea air blowing freely through the rooms. I stayed for about a week and had a really relaxing time. The people I met instantly felt like family. A place for seekers, adventures and the fiercely hearted ! Manager Mowglie is a gentlemen and has made wonderful improvements the place and it continues to get better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The literature says that the women's dorm is also a couples dorm, and so it is. If you can put up with that and the lack of privacy (you can see into the women's dorm through the wall in the kitchen) and that the roof leaks badly when it rains (the eating area was totally flooded) (the interior wall of the dorm room was wet) and the bathroom has dreary cement walls, then go for it. The hostel does have a direct ocean view, is in town, has a bus stop in front - all that part is true, but I would be uneasy staying there. I had cancelled my reservation and after stopping by for a look at what I had missed, was glad that I wasn't staying. There are plenty of camping spots on the beaches or if you can split the cost of a motel, I'd recommend it. I didn't check whether there were doors on the dorm rooms but if there were any, they were open when I stopped by. The womens/couples dorm did have large beds with side curtains as described.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank maineexpl0rer
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here one night at the end of my Kauai adventure. The place is very open and airy which is really nice and comfortable but do locking doors mean anyone can come in off of the street so keep your possessions under a watchful eye. It has a gorgeous view of the ocean and the staff are friendly. I was flying back home in the evening and left my suitcase and backpack with one of the helpful staff members in the back storage room where I was assured it was locked during the day. I came back in the evening and found that my backpack had been stolen. Earlier in the afternoon another guest's backpack had also been stolen from the same storage room. The staff were very sympathetic and called the police for me and I am grateful for that. However after returning home I sent the hostel an email inquiring about the contract that I had signed, any insurance claims that could be filed and they never responded to any of my emails.

Room Tip: Upstairs seems to be less cramped, I was given a double bed in a mixed dorm despite only being a sin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friend and I and her two young boys showed up there and they were friendly, they made room for us and met all of our needs. The place was clean, was right on the beach and in a great location in proximity to shopping and food. It has a really cool open atmosphere and a tree-house-like central interior. The other guests were respectful of each other, their belongings and the noise level. It was NOT a "spring break" break crazy-up-all-night-partying kind of place. The beds had netting to keep any mosquitoes out because the doors need to stay open. There is no air conditioning as it is a generally cool location and the air cools down at night. I liked the kitchen area and the community vibes. There was also a "free" box that people can leave and take items left there, which can come in really handy. The showers were just fine, after trecking through the Na Pali coast, I was super grateful for a clean, affordable place with a hot shower. They do not provide any free food or breakfasts like some hostels do, but other guests often leave food and are usually willing to share. (I brought my own, just an observation). The beds were about queen size bunks (that we stayed in, not sure about the rest) and they were comfy. I would definitely go back to this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Modesto
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I absolutely love this Hostel, beach front, open and airy, great staff, very comfy beds, and a totally tropical feel. Jason, one of the staff members, was always cleaning, moping, and leaf blowing. He was always working to keep the place clean. Aaron, another staff member, was very helpful, friendly, and a wonderful person. Will, the manager, has an awesome spirit and was loving and friendly towards us. Brian, the owner, was very nice to us and we liked talking with him. My girlfriend and I stayed down stairs in the mixed dorm, July 8 and 9, in the most comfortable bed. We didn’t think we would need the blanket on the bed at night but the air blowing in from right off the water was nice, cool, and yes we used the blanket to keep warm. The views are amazing! I wanted to take a swim one afternoon and since there are rocks right in front of the hostel on the beach, I walked 50 feet or so down the beach (either side) where there is nice sand and had a wonderful swim. There are so many places to sit, visit, and congregate at this Hostel, open space everywhere. There are only 2 Hostels on the Island of Kauai, we stayed at them both. The Kauai Beach House Hostel was the better Hostel hands down; there really is no comparison or competition. We can’t wait to come back and stay here again. I miss this place and it will always have a warm place in my heart.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank missawesome100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Garden Island Inn
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!