“So so hostel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kailua, Hawaii
“So so hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The staff were generally nice however very nosy about your personal business.The kitchen was so disgusting.I loved waking up to the beach.The hostel was a bit crowded with some weird characters.
Like I said I felt that the staff asked me too many questions-maybe they were being friendly but I almost felt I was being investigated.
I felt some of the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
People staying at the hostel as well as staff members did not clean up after themselves.

Room Tip: Stay in the room below.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

El albergue es una casa de dos plantas que mira al mar con dormitorios para chicos, chicas y chicas y parejas. Yo estuve en la habitación para chicas y parejas, las camas son dobles y muy cómodas. Además tienen mucha privacidad porque se cierran con cortinas.
No es el sitio más limpio del mundo, pero está suficientemente limpio y la gente fue muy agradable.
Hay mucho sitio para aparcar detrás del albergue y muchos sitios cerca para comprar/cenar.

This hostel is a two-floor building that faces to the sea. There are rooms for boys, girls and girls and couples. Y slept in a girls and couples room, the beds are queen-size and very comfy. And it's quite private since you can close it with a curtain.
It is not the cleanest place in the world, but is clean enough, also, people was really nice.

There is plenty of parking space behind the hostel and many places to shop/diner nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Pierre Gaudreault from Montreal
At this hostel from March 5th 2013 to March 19th 2013

Great place. This vibe is really what Kauai is all about. Great people, great location (right on the beach) and great staff. Wake up watching sunrise from your bed every morning.

This place is relentlessly cleaned throughout the day.

This is not a party all-night hostel. If you plan to drink till 2am and sleep off your hangover till noon, you wont like it there. A lot of fun in the evenings, but at 9h30 it's lights out in most part of the hostel and at 7am, almost everyone is up and getting busy. Mostly due to an open-air construction in a rooster dominated environment... This feels perfectly right for this amazing island.

And at 30$ a night for the dorms and with a kitchen, it will leave you spare money to bring back souvenirs.

Well, as you can see, I loved my stay at Kauai Beach House!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pierre G
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Been there for 12 nights.
Clean place, nice staff.
Great location,
and low price.

you'll be awake really early, thanks to Jo the rooster
4h30...every morinig... but it come with Kauai experience!

Great place to stay in Kauai!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank luckypaulG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My stay at the Beachhouse hostel was the most amazing experience I've had. When I arrived late New Year's Eve I was greeted with a warm friendly welcome from mike. He took me in right away and was so helpful in making sure I was comfortable and letting me know where everything is. My brother and I were only expecting to stay 2 nights and we ended up staying for 9. We created the best family and friends ever here in that time. I peacefully slept in the Oauhu bed in the islands room every night with the sound of crashing waves and breeze filling my little haven. I am definitely coming back hopefully within a few months to reunite with my friends! Shout out to little Bryan and mike for being amazing all the time you guys are so hard working and I appreciated every minute of it!
Till we meet again Beach house
Xox Abi

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Saltinmyhair
Bishop, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I reserved a two person bed in a shared room (for a good price) before arriving on the island. A couple of days before the trip, I emailed again to make sure the reservation was still there, and it looked like all was well.
Well, my plane arrived late at night and I made my way to the hostel, where they promptly told me that they just gave away the last spot in a shared room. Of course, I was free to stay the night in their private room, for an extra cost that I was not prepared to pay.
I explained that I had a reservation specifically because I didn't have the money for a private room, and their response was to take it or leave it. It was my first night on the island, and it was already 8 PM. They knew I had no choice. I took the miniature, moldy private room, not knowing that for $20 more, I could get a room at the super nice Hotel Coral Reef right next door.
Don't get tricked if you want to reserve a room. If you're just dropping in, it seemed like a cool/friendly enough place as long as they have the room for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jacob R

Travelers are raving about these Kapaa hotels

Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've stayed here three times and it's always fantastic, I'll definitely be back again. Don't get what's up with the bad reviews, don't pay attention to them, housing in Kauai doesn't get better than this, especially for the price. I book the blue lagoon room which looks out at the ocean, has one door opening onto the big porch, tile floor and a fabulous king size bed for $70. The kitchen has everything you need, it's across the street from a grocery store and you can easily walk to the old downtown Kapa'a. Everything is clean and the people are super friendly. Did I mention that I'm here this time with my three year old? She loves it here, and she's a world traveler who has stayed in expensive hotels. If you're looking for rowdy parties look elsewhere. This place is quiet with lights out at 9:30. Love, love, love this place.

Room Tip: If you want a private room, I like the blue lagoon room. Great for a couple, and has been great for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Beth Ann H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Garden Island Inn
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!