“Very nice help but gross place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very nice help but gross place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

I was in Kauai last July and I stayed one night and had the worst night of sleep ever. The whole facility just has a dirty creepy feel and the bedding seems dirty. LOTS OF MOSQUITOS EVERYWHERE. And the windows are not secure so there are lots of bugs in the rooms. I would not recommend staying here at all. If you are trying to find a budget place Kaui is very small so if you have a car or scooter you can get places pretty fast. Kauai Sands is very clean and affordable and for a little extra Kauai Palms is very nice and affordable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 760love2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I was visiting Kauai for the second time full of concerns where to stay for one week for little money. My past 2008 bad experience with International Hostel (read my other review) brought me to Kauai Beach House with not big expectations. From the main road side this place does not look attractive and even strange especially if you see "a local??? lost in time house residents" but from the real house side you will be surprised how close you are to the ocean. I was greeted by long term residents of the house who by the way keep close eye on the facility and make good security job. At least in May it was necessary to pay with cash for my stay and cards were not accepted at that time.

I was quite pleased by the big bright room that was offered to me with bed of my choice. My choice was to sleep by the window and this was such a nice experience to face strong trade winds (unbelievable), sounds of the ocean and palm trees and a moonlight. I arrived short after a rainy period and this strong wind was helping to keep mosquitoes away from me. The mosquitoes could be a problem. There was mosquito net over my bed and I was able to enjoy my nights bite free. The room was very clean and people working there in exchange for place to stay take really good care and are very friendly. The bathrooms and showers were just nice and pleasant to use. I wish other hostels in Hawaii had such clean showers. The manager of the house Trisha was like mother to everybody (for me 100%).
The kitchen is under roof yet it feels like an outdoor facility. I just enjoyed cooking there having all handy cookware and fresh air around. Occasionally some bird would stop-by to have a sip of water from cup left in kitchen sink :-). Kitchen was also clean. All place gives you an experience of being indoor but on the other hand the fresh air is everywhere like an outdoor. There is quiet time and lights-off policy in the evening that I liked. Everybody was taking advantage of early bright mornings to go outdoors and for many opportunity to witness a sunrise just in front of the house or from spacious deck. An early "good night" was just right. As always interesting tourists in hostel make my time special and this time was great as well. The ground level of facility looks a bit old and in my opinion may require refurbishment but this was not a big problem for me. I wish they had a laundry machine and dryer.

There was something special about that place that I liked ... and it was difficult to leave my special window bed after week of stay and say goodbye to manager and staff.
Hope one day I will get another opportunity to interact with Kauai wonders and without any problem return to Kauai Beach House. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ARM-RK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

The lady that runs the show is trying to be your mother, the place was filled with Americans looking for that island dream and most where so weird it was hardly worth bothering to talk to them, the female dorm is combined with couples aswell so had the pleasure of hearing people have sex!!!!! The place is a breeding ground for Mosquitos. It's sad as Kauai is beautiful and the other hostel is even worse I would camp in a tent and skip on both of them they are not worth it

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Yuyuyub
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Reading prev. reviews put me off. Guess new mgr. has turned things around. Felt safe. Belongings left on bed or shelf NEVER touched. Cubbies w/mosquito nets & privacy curtain
across front of queensize bed in women's dorm (8). Beach door locked 9:30 pm, but could
get in front if you came in late. Night watchman in front. Manager Trish on duty at all times;
owner Brian checked in daily. Two people cleaning kitchen and bathrooms daily, including
mopping floors. Showers have nice hot water. Trish very pleasant, helpful and responsible.
Met many interesting young people traveling from several different countries. SPECTACULAR LOCATION; MORNING SUNRISE.

Room Tip: Dorms feel safer for stuff left out; perhaps someone could go into rooms, tho I don't think so.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RustySonoma
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Me and my 15 year old son stayed at the Kauai Beach House for the final 4 days of our 16 day Kauai trip. We stayed in the private Blue Lagoon room that looks out on the ocean and palm trees. The room was small and nothing fancy. Just a bed, no closet. At $70.00 it seemed a bit overpriced, although the view is calming and nice. Trish who runs the place, is very helpful and friendly. The hostel itself reminded us of a giant tree house, open on the sides with a tin roof. It kind of had a "Central American, rustic," feel to it. The kitchen and bathrooms, along with everything else are very clean. We would definitely stay there again. HInt: bring your ear plugs, the Kauai Feral Chickens start around 5AM. Also the hostel is next to several business's and the rooms face toward the parking area so lots of loud trucks start early. We appreciated the, "lights out at 9:30," rule, and especially appreciated that they kindly and respectfully enforced it.

Room Tip: Bring your own towel, Since they are not a hotel they do not provide soap, etc
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank gfran2
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

It was my first time to Kauai and one of the many reasons I look forward to returning, is because of my experience at Kapa'a Beach House.

When my friend and I arrived we were greeted by Lorna, who is a new manager of the hostel. She is awesome! She handles the important logistics of running such a place while also being very friendly. She is on point and notices if someone who is not a registered guest is there which made me feel very safe and secure. She makes sure to inform and enforce guests of the rules of the hostel (i.e. lights out at 9:30pm and making sure to put your name on your food in the fridge) while also connecting on a more personal level for those interested. I appreciated the lights out so that I could sleep at a reasonable time if I wanted or if I wanted to stay up later I could just walk a few minutes away to town or walk outside to the ocean to talk with a friend.

This is truly a beach house. It overlooks the ocean and has a lanai that allows you a place for great views of the sunrise. Free parking directly in front of the hostel. There is a stocked kitchen and lounge areas. My favorite thing about this place is that there aren't walls in many of the common spaces so it feels like a tree house meets a beach house.

I thought the location is very convenient as it's in the middle of both ends of the island. There is an all you can eat breakfast next door for $7.99 and a chinese restaurant across the street that also serves boba drinks.

My friend and I only planned on staying on the island of Kauai for 2 nights and ended up staying an additional 2 because we felt very comfortable with where we were staying and this is just a magical laid back island.

Beautiful location, tropical beach style house, and a friendly staff left me sad to leave and happy that I have a place to return to when I revisit Kauai. I definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a laid back funky place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank treesespeaces
Sylva, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

First and foremost, the peoples writing reviews on this beautiful place have a round trip ticket back to their lame dehumanizing jobs. Kauai beach house is rock solid for a place to stay. It's 30 bucks for a bunk, full kitchen, hot showers, and a chill place to hang out. You may be able to swap stay for work/trade, etc. The owners are very very very reasonable and friendly. It's simply a great place to hang out, drink a couple brews and eat $3.00 t bones from kojima's from across the street. Kauai cattle is the best! Lights out at 10pm but if you want to hang out then you can go into the tv room and hang out, meet some cool locals. Just dont be a hauli tool, open up your mind, heart, speak, share, thats why you are here. You will eventually feel more at home there than at your own grandma's house.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Garden Island Inn
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!